SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-20, 07:02 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222
Uploads: 0
Default Why do some models only work in certain mods?

Just as an example, I downloaded a playable ship but in the readme it says it will only work in XYZ mod, just out of curiosity I tried it without the mod.
It loaded up in a mission but wouldn't move, it just said, 'Can not comply' when given any orders.

So what stops that ship from working unless it is in the chosen mod?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 07:15 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
Just as an example, I downloaded a playable ship but in the readme it says it will only work in XYZ mod, just out of curiosity I tried it without the mod.
It loaded up in a mission but wouldn't move, it just said, 'Can not comply' when given any orders.

So what stops that ship from working unless it is in the chosen mod?

Col.
So what stops that ship from working unless it is in the chosen mod...the fact that no ship operates stand-alone. SH4 is a huge relational development with lots of interconnected files.
for example, just the other day, another user wanted to mod a Tench boat into the beginning of the war. we told him it would be deuce-difficult because of all of the related files that have to be synchronized. he wanted to find out for himself...so he tried to mod it himself. and he discovered it was not as easy as it might have seemed.
so, no one ship or sub operates independently within the program. one cannot build a ship.UPC and drop it into any mod-set.
this is the same reasoning behind the warnings you may have noticed with each mod or mod-set that tell the user (us) that a certain mod is compatible with this mod and that mod but it is not universal.

why do you want to drive a ship within a submarine simulator?
Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 10:10 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

For the same reason Marco just said, it's probably also impossible to load the TMO mod, but revert to the stock campaign while maintaining all goodies of the TMO mod. I cannot just replace the campaign folder et voilà...no.

Or: I would like to have all nice features of the OTF mod like walking in the sub with cursor keys, the better optics, the new radio room and the captain compartement, all clickable items, and maybe the radar and sonar changes, but else I I would like to keep the stock game. Not possible, and simply loading the 'OTF mod for TMO' but without TMO, this will mess-up the game completly.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 11:23 AM   #4
Col7777
Grey Wolf

@Marco,

Thanks again for your help, you asked why I want to drive a ship in a sub sim, well because I like the change and directing it in battle etc.
Then I thought, why do they make drivable/playable ships if you are not meant to use them?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-07-20, 02:00 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
@Marco,

Thanks again for your help, you asked why I want to drive a ship in a sub sim, well because I like the change and directing it in battle etc.
Then I thought, why do they make drivable/playable ships if you are not meant to use them?

Col.
because someone figured out how to do it.
or
because.they.can.

LAA enabled
Old 05-08-20, 12:37 AM   #6
Col7777
Grey Wolf

@Marco,

Is that what the guys who modelled the ships to work said, 'Because we can' when you asked them the same question?

As you know not everyone is the same, some like absolute realism other like fictional, some like to play as Axis or Allies, some in the Pacific others in the Atlantic and so on, things like this make it more interesting.
I play as a sub more than I do as a ship but I like the change as I said, at this moment I'm in a patrol as a sub, maybe my next mission I may play as a ship depends how I feel.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-08-20, 11:05 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
@Marco,

Is that what the guys who modelled the ships to work said, 'Because we can' when you asked them the same question?

As you know not everyone is the same, some like absolute realism other like fictional, some like to play as Axis or Allies, some in the Pacific others in the Atlantic and so on, things like this make it more interesting.
I play as a sub more than I do as a ship but I like the change as I said, at this moment I'm in a patrol as a sub, maybe my next mission I may play as a ship depends how I feel.

Col.
that's cool. no judgments.
sometimes, i am a bit flippant...it's the American in me. please forgive me.

LAA enabled
Old 05-08-20, 12:11 PM   #8
Col7777
Grey Wolf

No probs Marco, glad me are still mates lol.

Here in the UK it is VE Day (Victory in Europe), I have a big white ensign flag in my window plus I'm playing as an Allie in the sim.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-08-20, 01:00 PM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
No probs Marco, glad me are still mates lol.

Here in the UK it is VE Day (Victory in Europe), I have a big white ensign flag in my window plus I'm playing as an Allie in the sim.

Col.
yes. the end of six years of war. definitely a reason to celebrate!

LAA enabled
Old 05-08-20, 11:40 PM   #10
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Answer to the original question is "files". To prevent bloating (making what should be a 100mb download into a 2gb download) many things share common files, generally called "dependencies". If you look at the stock game as an example, many of the US subs use common parts from \Library\USSubParts, along with several other folders. If you look at the S-42 or the Gar, you'll find they have parent files from other subs, rather than wasting space duplicating all the shapes and textures.

Same thing applies to custom made ships, if all the files the new model is dependent on are not included in the download, then the mod that contains the files it needs has to be downloaded too. If you have a reasonable talent for hacking you can usually sort through the files from the ship model, then the files from the mod that the ship is dependent on, and package together something that will make it work without the supermod.

No offense, but if you had the knowledge to rework the ship so it could be used without the mod, you wouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place. That doesn't mean you can't LEARN how to do that kind of thing, but it takes some serious work to get there.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 03:34 AM   #11
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Thanks Sniper,
I understand you answer, I have noticed in the files a sub/ship relates to another model.
I figured too that the files were shared, they do that in flight sim in a lot of cases, I don't know what program to use to open those files so I could perhaps see what is needed etc, so in some cases I did copy some files from a playable vessel to hopefully get the non playable to work but I drew a blank.

I may have been close and not realised lol. I said in one of my posts, I have downloaded some 'Playable' not 'Human Playable' ships and they look really good models but after spending many hours tweaking and renaming files I gave up.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-09-20, 08:51 AM   #12
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks Sniper,
I understand you answer, I have noticed in the files a sub/ship relates to another model.
I figured too that the files were shared, they do that in flight sim in a lot of cases, I don't know what program to use to open those files so I could perhaps see what is needed etc, so in some cases I did copy some files from a playable vessel to hopefully get the non playable to work but I drew a blank.

I may have been close and not realised lol. I said in one of my posts, I have downloaded some 'Playable' not 'Human Playable' ships and they look really good models but after spending many hours tweaking and renaming files I gave up.

Col.
Col,
some files are text based, so use Microsoft Notepad.
some are binary, use Skwas S3Editor. it's in the d/l section.
some files are graphic, such as dds, you will need a graphic's tool. check the d/l section or ask some of the modders here.
there are some ogg files which are sound files. i have never attempted to change these or even inspect them.
i am sure that you want to get started so i will shut up for the moment.
my suggestion is to start dabbling...try to make a particular boat change its performance envelope in various ways. then progress from there.
good luck!

LAA enabled
Old 05-09-20, 07:56 PM   #13
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Specifically:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4489

Previous experience with flightsim gives you a head start on figuring this out.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 03:14 AM   #14
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Thank you Sniper, I'll have a look, yes I used to tweak a lot in Flight Sim also did lots of repaints of aircraft too.

You may not know but years back in SH2 days I did a fair bit of tweaking but as you know a lot of things have changed in later versions plus I left it and went flight simming even though I bought the other versions of SH.

Col.

Silent and Violent