SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-09, 08:52 PM   #1186
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Probably find that it's just a total misunderstanding DD, would be good if Anvart placed a post in Russian and then a person who can read & write in Russian & English to translate it. Just a thought!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 03:55 AM   #1187
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

I don't want to get involved in your dispute and will only comment this once I think.

I just want to say that I don't get all this taking credit stuff. I'm happy to give credit where it is due, and especially so if someone demands it for their efforts here. However, you might recall that a mod' is just a modification/addition to a work that is so complex and difficult to craft that we are only able to mod it. If we feel we have the right to change and add to the work of Ubisoft, who expects and even demands monetary payment just to use their work, why should we squabble over who gets to change what and who gets credit for what?

It's great that we find ways to make the things we want happen in the SH3 engine, but we are all just modifying the work of someone else. How can you claim rights to a change to something over which someone else already holds claim?
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 04:07 AM   #1188
ViperU48
Torpedoman

Downloads: 58

I sincerely hope that the differences here will be settled in a prompt and polite fashion; this is an excellent mod, and the ideas which all modders had put forward for its developement are equally excellent.

Remember that this is all community work, all done for free and for the good of the users as well as for your own use. Very little is gained if we all argue over modding rights and domains; in the end, a good mod will not see the light of day..

There are mods that are simply incompatible, sometimes this is a reality everyone must deal with until there are new discoveries that allow for proper compatibility. Leave it to the users to decide which mods they want -- and this is no competition either, certain mods appeal to certain people, all in all; it's in the name of enjoyment.

Please guys, let's not get too upset ... it's only software.
Old 11-14-09, 04:59 AM   #1189
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Hows them Dallas Cowboys
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 06:38 AM   #1190
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Well if nothing else, I love your signature Venatore!!

Old 11-14-09, 12:36 PM   #1191
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Hi !

@ DivingDuck:

Ich hätte da noch einen Vorschlag, bzw. Bitte: Könntest Du wohl in Zukunft auch "uns" im deutschen Ubi-Forum über den Fortschritt Deiner Arbeit sozusagen aus erster Hand informieren ? Du hast dort nämlich auch sozusagen einen eigenen Thread, hier: http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/...8841094167/p/3

Dort informiert meistens der Uffz. oder ich über den neuesten Stand der Dinge. Nun kommen dort auch die Anfragen, warum z.B. keine Downloads mehr möglich sind, usw.

Wäre schön, wenn Du auch dort Deine Fans über den Fortgang der Arbeiten informieren könntest !

Vielen Dank und viele Grüße,
Magic
Old 11-14-09, 05:12 PM   #1192
tommyk
Watch Officer

Downloads: 5

DD, love your work! Please keep going!
Old 11-14-09, 05:14 PM   #1193
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

?

whats up here.. did i miss someting here? calm down guys, the time to write the lines is not worth the case, dd. anvart often takes some things as an offense...even these are not ment like this. nobody knows, what some people may get wrong.

anyway...guys.

your work, dd, is fantastic, as well as many things anvart invented to sh3. so, we are all sitting in one raft, right. or one uboat...whatever. understand? do not start to rage against each other. i think we need all hands on deck, when sh5 is released, to make this the game we all ever wanted (even i think, sh3 stays the best game with its mods, it will be better as sh5 could be). so lets be a big team instead of individuals, who claim any things to be their own achievement. i also was not happy to see some of my gui-mods, like the menuscreen with the briefing room, or the leitz glasses, used from others and sold as their work - but, who cares. YOU know, who has done the original work. and if everybodys happy in the end, we all have done great work.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 06:59 PM   #1194
Anton88
Helmsman

Downloads: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingDuck View Post
Moin,

@Anvart + Hitman:
I´ve successfully used a dummy container to rotate both helmsmen (HA+HF) out of view when at a certain depth (surfaced).

Thanks for the report, you are the second to notice. Have been notified by PM already. The bug is fixed meanwhile.

Do you have a link to that report at hand. I´d really like to see it.
The box I´m referring to as Xmas tree is an assembly of lights indicating different states of valves that need to be closed before/when diving. I´ve made some close up photographs of this very box in U995 in Laboe last year.

The upper box is labelled 'Kontrollampen Bordventile' - 'board valves status lights', the lower box reads 'Bereitschaftsmeldeanlage' -'ReadyMessage-Board'.

I´ve already become friends with Tomi and am working at the implementation of his awesome work.

Regards,
DD
================================================== ======

The site which I am giving you now is a real "treasure chest".
This is where I found the info with the "christmas tree depth charges indicator"... it is in one of the interrogation reports..
Ill try to find the specific one, .. but maybe you'll find it first .. there are many u-boats.

After reading some of this... I am not surprised the Allied powers won the battle of the atlantic. They interrogated the prisoners mercilessly and found out a great deal of information about German operations, technologies, other uboats, technical details, and how to counter them best.
They asked them alot more then just "name, rank and serial number", if you know what I mean.

anyways,.. if you dont know thiis site already.. you are in for a shock
I hope you will find it most usefull

tell me what you think
=>
====================================
http://www.uboatarchive.net/Uboatlist.htm
====================================
Anton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 07:13 PM   #1195
Anton88
Helmsman

Downloads: 121

There it is DivingDuck , I found it. -> U-615 (Kapitsky)

you'll like this..

Quote:
DEPTH CHARGE PLOTTER:

In June 1943, a new instrument known as the "Wabe-Ortungs Gerät" (literally, "Depth Charge Locating Gear") was installed on the port side of the control room, just forward of the periscope motor and above the potato box. The visual part of the instrument was described as a bakelite panel about 30 cm. by 50 cm., attached directly to the pressure hull by metal brackets. On the panel was the outline of a U-boat surfacing at a

- 26 -

U.S. SECRET - BRITISH MOST SECRET
============================

sharp angle. Forward and aft of this U-boat were cruciform arrangements of small colored light bulbs, and amidships was a horizontal line of bulbs. It was stated that five bulbs were in each arm of the cross, and ten were in the horizontal line. The bulbs were spaced about 20 mm. apart. The bulbs to the left were red, to the right - green, above -- white, and below -- blue.

During an attack, lights flashing on the panel indicate the approximate position of the explosion of depth charges. The red lights indicate explosions to port, green -- to starboard, white -- above, and blue -- below.

It was stated that the instrument had a range of 500 meters. One prisoner was under the impression that when an explosion was located, it would be the policy of the captain to take the boat to the general area of the explosion, both on the theory that lightening never strikes twice in the same place, and as evasive action against echo-ranging.

Beneath the panel was a storage battery, placed on top of the potato box. The panel was covered at all times by a canvas cover except during an attack. The device was regarded as extremely secret and only could be served by the captain or the engineer officer.

When questioned about the Depth Charge Plotter, the Engineer Officer proved to be evasive, tricky, unreliable, and an unblushing liar. At first he denied the existence of such a device. When confronted by evidence to the contrary in his own note book, he stated that the instrument never functioned properly and that he regarded it as being only in its infancy. He said that the day after U-615 sailed, he discovered that several of the lights failed to function properly due to short circuits or faulty wiring. He felt that the sweating of the pressure hull might have caused some damage to the device. These statements are substantiated by

- 27 -

an entry in his notebook which, in translation, reads as follows:

Depth Charge Plotter:

Shut off due to short circuit forward 13 June
Aft, below 1, 2, 5.
Aft, above 2.
Amidships port 5. forward (?) short circuit
Forward above 3.

(O.N.I. Note: The numbers probably refer to the various bulbs which were removed.)

On 14 June 1943, U-615 was attacked by an aircraft and the Depth Charge Plotter was tried out. The Engineer Officer kept a partial record of the lights which flashed. In translation it reads as follows:

Bombs at 55 meters (stated to refer to the depth of the U-boat)
Port forward 1; Port amidships 1; Port aft 1 and 2.

The last entry reads:

Three Depth Charges
Aft port 2.
Aft starboard 2.
Below starboard 2.
Forward port 1.
Forward (?) below 2.

"SEEHUND DREI"

It was stated by several prisoners that a special night telescope (Nachtfernrohr) was carried on the last patrol of U-615. It was said to have been used only by the captain and was in such secrecy that no very accurate description could be obtained. The instrument was brought

- 28 -

aboard U-615 under armed guard shortly before she sailed on 12 June 1943. It was contained in a black case which was about 45 cm. long, 20 cm. high, and 10 cm. thick.

The prisoners knew of the instrument as "Seehund Drei". A radio rating described it as a stereotelescope with a strap and handles to enable the user to hold it in position. An electric wire connected the instrument to a power outlet on the bridge. He said that in general appearance, it resembled a field rangefinder.

Another prisoner, a seaman, gave a different description of the device. According to him, it was a single tube about 40 cm. long. On one end was a convex lens and on the other, the eye-piece. A leather handle enabled the operator to hold it in place. The electric wire, rubber insulated and about 1/2 inch in diameter, was said to go through the conning tower hatch to a connection below.

The prisoners had various ideas regarding the purpose of the "Seehund Drei". One said it was for observation of shipping at night. Another stated that it enabled the operator to see through fog. Still another had heard that it was used to spot aircraft at night. One stated that it operated with infra-red rays while another insisted that they were ultraviolet. One prisoner stated that it operated on 5,000 volts. When questioned more closely, he confessed that he wasn't sure whether it was 5,000 volts or 5,000 watts.

A radio petty officer from another U-boat stated that the original "Seehund" gear was a fairly old instrument, used on surface ships for visual signaling at night. He said that it was manufactured at the optical works of Leitz at Wotzlar and Zeiss at Jema. He described it as

- 29 -

having a single tube with a pistol handle and trigger for sending. Attached to this was a binocular arrangement for receiving. He stated that an invisible light was employed in the gear. (O.N.I. Note: If this description is correct, it may indicate that "Seehund 3" is a development for another purpose, from an older signaling gear.)
Anton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 09:53 PM   #1196
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
DivingDuck Said:
If this thread will not return back to it´s original topic soon, I´ll resign from modding publicly and do it for my own pleasure only.
Please don't ever do that DD, I love your mods and the dedication you give to doing them, plus helping me & others. Also, from what I have seen, you have always been ethical, and if there was a slip up it would be totally unintentional I'm sure.
99% of Subsim community would feel the same way too.

Old 11-14-09, 10:56 PM   #1197
Rapt0r56
Commodore

Downloads: 391

Quote:
99% of Subsim community would feel the same way too.
So ist es mit sicherheit, wenn man sich die Arbeit ansieht die du NICHT kommerziell öffentlich anbietest und soviel Freizeit darin investiert... es ist unglaublich. Selbst Ubisoft könnte sich in vielen deiner werke noch eine scheibe abschneiden. Ich erfreue mich schon seit der ersten OH version an deiner Arbeit, und würde es wirklich schade fänden dass es wegen einer anscheinend sinnlosen diskussion soweit kommen würde, dass du dass Feld räumst.

Ich zitiere noch einmal aus einem früheren post:
Quote:
mit den neuen OH Versionen fühlt man sich mitten drin statt nur dabei.
Und dass ist wohl aussage kräftig genug, deine Mods sind bei mir nicht mehr wegzudenken.

Mfg Rapt0r
“The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite. ” ― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea
My modifications for Ubisoft's SHIII can currently be found in Maik's comprehensive archives found via the Silent Hunter 3 Tab on his website: https://maikhaas.synology.me/joomla/index.php?lang=de/
Rapt0r56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 04:54 AM   #1198
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Hi Anvart, I do believe that this mess is a total misunderstanding and DD is correct, the text you printed are not readable, you may be able to read it so I took a screen shot to show how it appears to others:

Don't know what went wrong but as you can see quite unreadable!

Last edited by Reece; 11-15-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-15-09, 04:56 AM   #1199
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
And my official answer:
I do not permit to DivingDuck to use my ideas and my method of SMCtrl animation of objects in his mods!......
....official... ? !! i think that a moderator must take place here .
anvart is not the first time that you are making 'noise' and laugh with others but above all,,,most of the times you are RUDE !
JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT IDIOTS and i can guess this 'rush' of yours to puplic 'your' ( ? ) method .
DD is absolutely right
nothing else from me

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 05:12 AM   #1200
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

yapp, dd is right...and anvart got something wrong, indeed. can some mod send him to the brigg, please? to get the head refreshed by the cold wind up there.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote