SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-21, 08:16 PM   #31
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

you have a better chance of getting a team together from subsim to make a game we do have a lot of talent here but you would have to have everyone on the same page
Old 03-27-21, 11:53 AM   #32
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Call me a caveman. I prefer my PC. You can't properly so flight simulation without a HOTAS, mouse, keyboard and VR headset. Good luck with trying to get a console to do that.
Me too, I simply cannot get consoles. Give me a joystick keyboard and a mouse.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 06:45 PM   #33
Caseck
Torpedoman

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Onkel Oneal on behalf of the Subsim community, could you try to ask Ubi again? (for sh3)

Caseck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 07:49 AM   #34
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Me too, I simply cannot get consoles. Give me a joystick keyboard and a mouse.
I suppose it stems from a time when the only controls for a console were a joystick with a single red button in the upper left corner and a "paddle" controller consisting of a rheostat and a button...

That you could use the joystick on the C=64 was a bonus...

Once I got the Epyx joystick, though, it was all over for the Epyx "... Games" series...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at_atari_2600_joystick.jpg (17.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Atari-2600-Paddles-001.jpg (10.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg epyx-500xj-joystick.jpg (33.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 0121f9ac1227e27c2239924d98d1fd21.jpg (25.9 KB, 7 views)
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 08:53 AM   #35
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I suppose it stems from a time when the only controls for a console were a joystick with a single red button in the upper left corner and a "paddle" controller consisting of a rheostat and a button...

That you could use the joystick on the C=64 was a bonus...

Once I got the Epyx joystick, though, it was all over for the Epyx "... Games" series...
Yepper! Atari 2600 was the start for me too. I still have a C64 and a crap load of games in the closet both floppies for the 1541 diskdrive and cartridges, joysticks too. Bunch of old analog joysticks from my first PC's and even a functioning Amstrad 512 PC-20 a whopping 2 mhz? computer my first. I really need to clean out that stuff LOL. Off topic but wow when we went from RGB/CGA/EGA to VGA graphics
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 01:59 PM   #36
shadow_wxh
Soundman

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 1
Icon9

I am thinking about this for a long time but no idea where to start. Ubi wont release the source code and even they do it only good as salvage resource there is still huge amount of work to be done. Curently there are serval technical difficulties which greatly hinder the game:

1.The 4 GB limit- If you load to many obejects in within uboat's 20km radius the game crashes
2.The Square Earth- the further you move north or south the further east-west distance get stretched.This prevent you from mapping any ship movement correctly,the time distance and speed wont add up.
3.Game engine optimaise-if you write too many unit in the champain file it will just read all of it at once and take forever to load and use up memory too
shadow_wxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 02:54 PM   #37
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Major Silent Hunter improvements have been on my mind often; don't lose heart!

I will be doing everything in my power to make this happen.

1) Not to brag, but I have learned a lot from the years of development of Wolves of the Kaiser. I am probably one of the most experienced modders, and I have been playing since Silent Hunter II! Rest assured that I will be switching back to WWII Atlantic Theatre modding now that WOTK is coming out soon.

2) Again, not to brag but I am financially pretty comfortable (no longer the impoverished student playing unmodded SH3 in 2005 in my dorm, lol!) Thanks to my career I can contribute a fair amount of funds towards any purchase of modding tools, rights, etc. needed to bring the Silent Hunter series up to date. Nothing extravagant, but I could potentially help with a decent sum, if given the right guarantees.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 08:42 PM   #38
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Major Silent Hunter improvements have been on my mind often; don't lose heart!

I will be doing everything in my power to make this happen.

1) Not to brag, but I have learned a lot from the years of development of Wolves of the Kaiser. I am probably one of the most experienced modders, and I have been playing since Silent Hunter II! Rest assured that I will be switching back to WWII Atlantic Theatre modding now that WOTK is coming out soon.

2) Again, not to brag but I am financially pretty comfortable (no longer the impoverished student playing unmodded SH3 in 2005 in my dorm, lol!) Thanks to my career I can contribute a fair amount of funds towards any purchase of modding tools, rights, etc. needed to bring the Silent Hunter series up to date. Nothing extravagant, but I could potentially help with a decent sum, if given the right guarantees.
Those are great news, Iambecomelife!!!
And thank yo again for all your contributions to the community!
Of course, the same goes to every modder that helped this wonderful sim and Subsim community grow and evolve!!
I hope we can have more goodies in the next months ( perhaps?)
Old 04-18-21, 12:32 AM   #39
Belmondo
Soundman

Downloads: 841

I meant the new SH3 with good ideas SH4 and SH5. The game Mafia Lost Heave was an inspiration.
Old 04-21-21, 11:13 AM   #40
drowssapma
Watch

Downloads: 12

My $0.02...... The game is 16 years old...and that's OK. I see a lot of mods that make it fun. The game can still continue to survive as long as the modding community thrives. Example: Tecmo Super Bowl. New rosters come out every year. Hell, you can even get one with USFL and WLAF rosters!! To the modders, keep it going! Make good mods, clear and easy instructions, and it will continue to live and improve.
drowssapma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 08:56 PM   #41
Caseck
Torpedoman

Downloads: 17

Is there a reason to prefer SH3 over SH4?

I'm curious engine-wise, why there is interest in SH3?
Caseck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 09:26 PM   #42
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseck View Post
Is there a reason to prefer SH3 over SH4?

I'm curious engine-wise, why there is interest in SH3?
SH3 is a Subsim classic that has much more depth (I am talking about how you can play the type I-XXI from 1939-1945) and mods than most subsims.

I cannot type it all because right now I have to go to bed.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 10:22 PM   #43
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
SH3 is a Subsim classic that has much more depth (I am talking about how you can play the type I-XXI from 1939-1945) and mods than most subsims.

I cannot type it all because right now I have to go to bed.
Poor Silent Hunter 4 is the neglected Middle Child of the last three SH series games! It lacks the iconic charm of Silent Hunter 3 and the good-looking graphics of Silent Hunter 5.

Nevertheless, it is the Silent Hunter game with the best balance between graphics and moddability, so it still has a place on my hard drive.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 05:07 PM   #44
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

If Ubisoft were to release the source code for SH3, perhaps something similar to Falcon 4.0 BMS could happen.
Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 06:09 PM   #45
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_wxh View Post
I am thinking about this for a long time but no idea where to start. Ubi wont release the source code and even they do it only good as salvage resource there is still huge amount of work to be done. Curently there are serval technical difficulties which greatly hinder the game:

1.The 4 GB limit- If you load to many obejects in within uboat's 20km radius the game crashes
2.The Square Earth- the further you move north or south the further east-west distance get stretched.This prevent you from mapping any ship movement correctly,the time distance and speed wont add up.
3.Game engine optimaise-if you write too many unit in the champain file it will just read all of it at once and take forever to load and use up memory too
Yes, for all of these reasons, a brand new game should be developed to create a modern "SH3 type" game with a more realistic and historical background. Recently, brand new WWII FPS were born (Post-Scriptum, Hell let loose, Enlisted) which dramatically increased the level of realism. So, why not a modern WWII U-Boat game ? SH3 is way too much limited !

Is there any place where you can suggest ideas for a new game and vote for them, in order to influence game studios ?
Mister_M is online   Reply With Quote