SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-21, 01:25 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Found myself in a battle before ever out of sea trials

TMO 2.5 with custom mods
New Construction Career-Sea Trial 02
USS Trigger- Gato Class
San Francisco
February 171942
100 realism. Cams off, contacts on.

Departed Mare Island for first Sea Trial just before dawn dawn. 20 NM outside SF Bay, lookouts spotted a surfaced submarine. Initially thought possibly friendly submarine returning but given the warning message about enemy submarines operating off West Coast recently, ordered a dive to 100 feet, went to GQ, and began an approach. Back a scope depth, in the morning sunrise, identified a Japanese I Class submarine in attack scope.

Planned to fire from 1500 yards. At estimated 2000 yards, raised scope for observation, all normal. Dropped scope continued. As closed, sonar reports contact lost. Raised scope, target was gone. Appears the submarine had submerged*, we went to 150 feet and departed area submerged. Later heard explosions.

Remained at sea for three days conducting sea trials including a run down to the Monterey, CA area. Located a debris field 14 NM SSW of Monterey. Seems US merchant sunk by IJN submarine. Set course to return to Mare Island.

Dawn on February 20th, found Trigger 40 NM from San Francisco Bay. I went to bridge, watching sunrise. A PBY patrol plane flew overhead and continued on. Observing in distance, noticed it changed course and made a dive at ocean, observed and heard explosions in distance. PBY pulled away and circled. Sun was rising but was still fairly dark, PBY then continued on. Likely spotted a submarine. We approached with caution but soon observed a surfaced submarine on same course as us. Went to GQ and conducted an end around to get ahead on projected course.

An hour and half later, sound made contact. Closed and at 5000 yards, I class submarine moving along at 14 knots. As sun was rising, moved in quickly to attack in case sub were to dive again. Hoped to fire from 1500 yards but forced to fire at 2100 yards. Fired six torpedoes in a nice spread.

Raised scope with 10 seconds until estimated impact, submarine was attempting to evade torpedoes but two hit just behind the conning tower. Large explosion occurred, submarine quickly sunk, leaving burning oil slick and debris. Inspected the debris field then returned to Mare Island. Observed a Clemson DD and PBY seemingly heading for the area where sub was sunk while en route to Mare Island.

* As part of my TMO update I have updated the sea trials in new construction, added merchant traffic and air/sea patrols along US West Coast. Also added, per history, the IJN subs operating off US coast in early 1942. I do not have them firing torpedoes yet (but it will happen) but they will attack merchants with deck guns and one shells Santa Barbara area at correct date and time.

These subs typically "dive" around dawn, surface at dusk or after dark and patrol on surface at night. Since subs in SH 4 do not dive , this is simulated by having submarine delete itself upon reaching final waypoint. Sub spawns again in a different location roughly position would be after traveling submerged. This creates interesting situation, such as when I was just about to fire and sub disappearing. While sonar lost contact, and sub had "submerged" I could still hear it on the hydrophone.

Eventually, will have AI firing submarines, will add another element of danger in TMO.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote