SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #16
Nippelspanner
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,248
Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0


Default

Yes, but to claim it is due to political reasons without being able to prove it isn't helping anyone. Is it?

I really gotta learn 3d modeling. A good friend and expert in the field offered me to teach me, but so far I always found a way to postpone it.

"if you want things done..."
Nippelspanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 AM   #17
Castout
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4,797
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Yes, but to claim it is due to political reasons without being able to prove it isn't helping anyone. Is it?

I really gotta learn 3d modeling. A good friend and expert in the field offered me to teach me, but so far I always found a way to postpone it.

"if you want things done..."
I don't intend to help anyone. Was merely expressing an opinion. This is not a court where evidence is a prerequisite to presenting a statement.

Opinion is a valid expression of one's thought.

As other nations' playables don't suffer poor 3-D models I thought it being a political sentiment.

I find you somewhat repulsive. Welcome to my ignore list.
__________________
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:24 AM   #18
Polak2
Planesman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 198
Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default

Not to burst your bubble guys, but getting entire new 3d models to DW is totally dependant on having access to 3dsMax 3.01, which is very very early version of Max and not really available around anymore.

I believe RA Team has it and this is why they and they only can pick and choose what units to upgrade and which not (or not yet...).

To rest of us only improving and upgrading textures to their j3d models is the only way and path to make this improvement process happening. That and transfer of other j3d models like Fleet Command or Sub Command . However, my personal opinion is that those models are not too advanced or good looking.

Last edited by Polak2; 02-03-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:29 AM   #19
Castout
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4,797
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
Not to burst your bubble guys, but getting entire new 3d models to DW is totally dependant on having access to 3dsMax 3.01, which is very very early version of Max and not really available around anymore.

I believe RA Team has it and this is why they and they only can pick and choose what units to upgrade and which not (or not yet...).

To rest of us only improving and upgrading textures to their j3d models is the only way and path to make this improvement process happening. That and transfer of other j3d models like Fleet Command or Sub Command . My personal opinion is that those models are not too advanced or good looking.
The Skipjack, etc are wonderfully done. But the Ohio and Virginia just look like trash......

Even the French Amethyste class is so well done.....The RA team seems determined to defer or ignore building new 3D models for these two important classes of submarines. They have made other subs so well done but not these two which have been playable since the start...or early RA version.
__________________
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #20
Polak2
Planesman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 198
Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
The RA team seems determined to defer or ignore building new 3D models for these two important classes of submarines.
Perhaps those two can be improved by redoing their textures. However, it needs to be noted, that Ohio model included in RA is already improved comparing to the original DW model. I have to look yet at Virginia.

In general ... RA Team made quite a lot of progress and honestly ATM that what it is tangible in the game. Ours are for now just talk and wishes. Let see if we can change something on our end.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #21
Castout
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4,797
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
Perhaps those two can be improved by redoing their textures. However, it needs to be noted, that Ohio model included in RA is already improved comparing to the original DW model. I have to look yet at Virginia.

In general ... RA Team made quite a lot of progress and honestly ATM that what it is tangible in the game. Ours are for now just talk and wishes. Let see if we can change something on our end.
Yeah true. I'm very grateful for what the RA team has done for the community. Updated textures on the Ohio and Virginia would help a lot.

I love every playable sub in the game. I hope the Yasen class may get updated texture and be playable.

Got killed in the Amethyste earlier in the day hehehe. Left the game to shower and came back already sunk...Beautiful boat. I think the French Barracuda is also in the game and it has the same low texture but decent 3D model.

The British Astute also needs better texture and or a new 3D model.

I wish the Astute, Yasen, Scorpene, Type 209 (of many nations), and Vietnamese Kilo to be playable.....

The Chinese Yuan needs better model and texture too....

Even with Cold Waters coming, RA has a lot more playable subs.

Edit:

Ah it's the Shang but it seems it has decent texture and 3-D model. I hope we can get to play with the Yuan. The Shang's propeller in the game rotates in the wrong direction with respect to the shape of its blades....
__________________

Last edited by Castout; 02-03-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #22
FPSchazly
The One and Only
 
FPSchazly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 630
Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0


Default

To be fair, the Russian subs looked terrible in the stock game. I think it's warranted that they got more attention in RA.
__________________
Your friendly neighborhood modern submarine YouTuber!

My videos:
**NEW** Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi) **NEW**

688(I) Hunter/Killer
Cold Waters South China Sea

Remember, it's just a game
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
p7p8
Samurai Navy
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 588
Downloads: 116
Uploads: 5


Default

Many 3D models was created by Jaf and Kpv 1974 from RedRodgers forum.
link
I think they have actual plugins, good aplication and experience. Peoples on RedRodgers forum are very helpfull if you have something more than "next briliant idea". For example last patch have new gfx for TA stations from my friend (polish community).

They still working on new models:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
Next 1.42 сorrect a many detected error.
Expected new excellent model aircrafts from -Jaf-.
Next thing: do you have priority list of object for improving textures?
p7p8 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #24
Polak2
Planesman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 198
Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
do you have priority list of object for improving textures?
Originally I thought about surface units only, but after latest exchange here I might take a shot on Ohio and Virginia.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #25
Castout
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4,797
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
Originally I thought about surface units only, but after latest exchange here I might take a shot on Ohio and Virginia.
That would be awesome if could be brought up on redrodger forum. The British Astute also needs an update to texture and model or just the texture. But it's not priority as it is not playable [yet].
__________________
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #26
Polak2
Planesman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 198
Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default

yes, I have contacted RedRogers forum via PM and will coordinate with them.

For now I have novice question about subs. Some of them have red bottom and some of them. (even same class) are all black. Any reason?
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #27
Castout
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4,797
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
yes, I have contacted RedRogers forum via PM and will coordinate with them.

For now I have novice question about subs. Some of them have red bottom and some of them. (even same class) are all black. Any reason?
Yeah, it's just the paint/coating choice I think. Perhaps someone else knows better?! THANK YOU for coordinating with the RA team. Awesome mod. <0

Edit:
A general rule is those subs with red lower bottom have no sensors on their lower hull.

When a sub has sensors (flank sonar) located on their lower hull then the lower bottom is usually coated gray or black. There are exceptions still. The Akula is painted all dark even though its flank/aperture sonar is on its upper hull...the red paint might start from surface ships' lower hull/keel environmental/corrosion protective coating. Then it got stuck. So, even though subs started to be coated with anechoic tiles the lower hull was still coated in red (such as the Typhoon SSBN).

Edit 2:
Ah The Akula has sonars on its lower hull, that's why it's not painted red. Thus, we can conclude the red paint is a corrosion protective coating that would hinder sonars/sensors.
__________________

Last edited by Castout; 02-03-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #28
Polak2
Planesman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 198
Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default

Just to give small and short update of my recent undertaking here is comparison shot of Arleigh Burke class.

Despite earlier promise, I have not attempted yet any retexturing of submarines, instead tried to concentrate on the surface units as they are tad easier to deal with. Time permitting, I am probable going to continue with surface and try to see how long will take me to make at least 10 to issue anything out.

New textures are pretty heavy and hirez and made from photorealistic sources found on the internet. However, I am sad to see fro the shots below this is somehow lost when in the game (i am running it on my laptop in rather low resolution).

I realise also, that just repainting of the textures is not making this update 100% and what would be needed and desired is to be able to edit UV mapping of the j3d model, which I am unfortunately not able to accomplish due to lack of that early 3dSMax 3.1.

We shall see what the future may bring.....

Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #29
Castout
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 4,797
Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6
Default

That already looks super awesome!! I'd however, not use hull numbers on skins. When you see two same-class ships with the same hull number it kind of kills immersion, at least to me.

But it's not too big a deal.

Nice work!
__________________
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #30
Pirate
Officer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oeiras, PORTUGAL
Posts: 247
Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
I'd however, not use hull numbers on skins. When you see two same-class ships with the same hull number it kind of kills immersion, at least to me.
+1
__________________
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2019 Subsim