Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 09-06-10, 05:42 AM   #1471
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default GPU

Thanks Zee for that program.It does look very useful.Indeed I'll be needing it as my CCC Catalysor keeps disappearing from my pc.I had to re-instal it 3 times already.(My usual luck with electronics...).I am going to download ATI tray tools and install as you suggested.

Anyway I am planning to purchase a more powerful gpu by year's end....

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the Panther D ! Zee would you be able to post a preview please?????

BTW what card do you have ? The ATI HD 4770???

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:12 PM   #1472
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcSummers View Post
HI ZW!

http://www.guru3d.com/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Thank you for these informations. Here i always downloaded the Forceware Driver for my GC.
BTW I have an enhancer for my Nvidia. It was suggested for IL2 modded version.

Its called nHancer32_2.5.9_Setup

Thanks alot!

And LC the release of the new Tigers will be in the larger Grand Release coming maybe by the end of the month.

Great. I am very corious! How big will be the Grand release be!
1TB. Hopefully not, my hdd has only 1 TB.

Die Augen geradeaus!

LC
Hi LC
I forgot to respond to your question about the hull MG! Yes,
especially the AI Tigers, they blast away.

And Nvidia was my first choice because of ATI's Catylist program.
But now with ATI Tray Tools I never had the control over any
video card like I do now. ATI Tray Tools is the best of both
worlds. It's really has the feel of an industrial type utility,
nothing unnecessary.

As for the larger "Grand Release" I'm pretty sure you will not
need your fork lift to unload it from the truck.

Meine Augen sind auf dem Sieg-Kameraden

ZW
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:22 PM   #1473
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietger View Post
Greatings to all!

Just ordered my TvsT copy for 8.99€ ! And reinstalled Steel Beast pro.

ZeeWolf, what a great addition to tank simulation you undertake!!
Im looking forward to the release of your product - any release date yet?
Can I buy it with paypal?
Pictures and work you put into this are amasing!

Good luck!

Dietger
Hallo Dietger and welcome aboard!

That's a good price, where did you buy it from?

You can join Project ZeeWolf here at the bottom of this link:

http://www.tanksimzw.com/Project-index.htm

Your needed Kamerad!

As far as release date no date yet on the latest phase yet, but the but
all the work prior is ready now.

Cheers!

ZeeWolf
Old 09-06-10, 01:00 PM   #1474
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Thanks Zee for that program.It does look very useful.Indeed I'll be needing it as my CCC Catalysor keeps disappearing from my pc.I had to re-instal it 3 times already.(My usual luck with electronics...).I am going to download ATI tray tools and install as you suggested.

Anyway I am planning to purchase a more powerful gpu by year's end....

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the Panther D ! Zee would you be able to post a preview please?????

BTW what card do you have ? The ATI HD 4770???

Cheers
Frinik you can take the card you have now and OC it to where you will not
even think about a new video card. ATI Tray Tools is a dream come true
for me, because like you I was unhappy with my video card performance.
My HD4770 no where near the card you have now and still not close to
being equal to what you have, but now I can play tvt with not even
thinking about the video card. Although I would like to have the HD5770

For now The Panther D is the Phantom D

Cheers Kamerad

ZW
Old 09-06-10, 01:50 PM   #1475
Dietger
Watch

Downloads: 80

Hi Zeewolf,
Thank you for the warm Welcome
I will get the newest stuff from Steel Beast Pro this month; But Id like to get your stuff next month.
What exactely do I get for 60 $ mate?
I understand correct?, for the money I can have the work you done so far prior release?

I got my copy TvsT from amazon - run smooth on my machine here. AI is stupid but it looks good and I love my Tiger !

Cheers!
Dietger
Dietger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:52 PM   #1476
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietger View Post
Hi Zeewolf,
Thank you for the warm Welcome
I will get the newest stuff from Steel Beast Pro this month; But Id like to get your stuff next month.
What exactely do I get for 60 $ mate?
I understand correct?, for the money I can have the work you done so far prior release?

I got my copy TvsT from amazon - run smooth on my machine here. AI is stupid but it looks good and I love my Tiger !

Cheers!
Dietger
That's great Dietger,
The $60.00 is for all finished work and 2010 membership in Project ZeeWolf
Until Jan. 31 2011. This is the first year of Project ZeeWolf and therefore
I have not had to consider late in the year memberships. So, if you would
like to join in Oct. I will give you a good deal that will include next year as
well so you will not feel like you will have to wait until next year to jump on board.
As for your concerns with the Default T34 vs Tiger I will assure you that
my work has already changed T34vsTiger to the point of almost an entirely
new tank sim. And the stuff I am currently working on will be a major move
forward from there.
To fulfill my vision for Project ZeeWolf the work requires (at the least) three
more years in development phase. Please understand that my work on
T34 vs Tiger started a year and a half ago, and the place were at now was
a result of a major focus on learning HOW to do something IN TvsT. As of
now my focus can be on WHAT to put IN TvsT. Clearly a major shift in
production capability. Then after this development phase I can focus on
new missions, campaigns and theater of operations. Which could go on
year after year.

Cheers
ZeeWolf
Old 09-06-10, 04:47 PM   #1477
tvt_addict
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt_addict View Post
Just checked...my GPU does not support temp monitoring. What I have done is add TvT to the applications list, and I will see if that keeps things under control.
Ok, found the program, Speedfan 4.41. Oh deary me!

My GPU is ok on heat, goes to a max of about 64 degrees, this is not outside the boundaries, as GPU's can run at 80 degrees without problems.

What did surprise me was the CPU temp, hitting 50 degrees within a few seconds on TvT, but staying at around 44 degrees on World of Tanks.

The CPU is 35 degrees on idle and should only be running at around 35 degrees even when overclocked??

My guess is that the thermal paste that was on the cooler is not up to the job, so I will order some quality paste and refit the cooler to see what effect that has.

At least it will be cheaper than a new graphics card.

Rob G
tvt_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 05:40 PM   #1478
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt_addict View Post
Ok, found the program, Speedfan 4.41. Oh deary me!

My GPU is ok on heat, goes to a max of about 64 degrees, this is not outside the boundaries, as GPU's can run at 80 degrees without problems.

What did surprise me was the CPU temp, hitting 50 degrees within a few seconds on TvT, but staying at around 44 degrees on World of Tanks.

The CPU is 35 degrees on idle and should only be running at around 35 degrees even when overclocked??

My guess is that the thermal paste that was on the cooler is not up to the job, so I will order some quality paste and refit the cooler to see what effect that has.

At least it will be cheaper than a new graphics card.

Rob G
Hi Rob,

If you do decide to get a new ati video card here is some screen shots of
my setting using ATI Tray Tools:
At the mouse courser is the GPU temp @ 49C (120.2F) and
My Fan speed 73% of 100%

This is the Fan speed RPM to GPU temperature in Centigrade

ZeeWolf
Old 09-07-10, 05:14 AM   #1479
Fighterace
Swabbie

Greetings to Zeewolf and everyone. Im a first time poster/long time reader of the TvT-Kursk 1943 mod and i finally purchased a copy of T-34 vs Tiger and im totally enjoying it.

Im just curious to your Kursk mod and the $60 donation to contribute for this mod? If i join up in the next few days what will i be able to get from now till 31 Jan 2011 and is there anything much i have missed out so far eg any Patches and such. Also where do i download them from?

I have a many questions to ask but im struggling to think of them (long day at work) lol

Thanks

Fighterace
Fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 06:15 AM   #1480
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default ZeeWolf's Mod.

Hello FighterAce hopefully soon to become tankAce????

Re your questions I would simply refer to ZeeWolf's post to Dietger (dated Today and with a similar question) just 3 posts up (or down depending if you're logged on or not) from yours.

Cheers

Frinik
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 06:38 AM   #1481
Fighterace
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWolf View Post
That's great Dietger,
The $60.00 is for all finished work and 2010 membership in Project ZeeWolf
Until Jan. 31 2011. This is the first year of Project ZeeWolf and therefore
I have not had to consider late in the year memberships. So, if you would
like to join in Oct. I will give you a good deal that will include next year as
well so you will not feel like you will have to wait until next year to jump on board.
As for your concerns with the Default T34 vs Tiger I will assure you that
my work has already changed T34vsTiger to the point of almost an entirely
new tank sim. And the stuff I am currently working on will be a major move
forward from there.
To fulfill my vision for Project ZeeWolf the work requires (at the least) three
more years in development phase. Please understand that my work on
T34 vs Tiger started a year and a half ago, and the place were at now was
a result of a major focus on learning HOW to do something IN TvsT. As of
now my focus can be on WHAT to put IN TvsT. Clearly a major shift in
production capability. Then after this development phase I can focus on
new missions, campaigns and theater of operations. Which could go on
year after year.

Cheers
ZeeWolf
Hey ZeeWolf. Ive made a donation for your mod. It looks the biz, cant wait to play it
Old 09-07-10, 07:30 AM   #1482
tvt_addict
Swabbie

Just in case anyone else hits problems with screen freezes and blackouts, there is a reason why this happens. The following was extracted from the Nvidia forum, but as you can see this applies to ATI cards as well. Having a low fps seems to be a liability!

Rob G

Just as a 'disclaimer' here, this thread is not for everyone to post their problems on... The purpose of this thread is to try and help you, but also to prevent multiple topics on the same subject. Lots of people have seen these errors, so hopefully this should help you understand exactly what it is before you post... I have seen and responded to a lot of TDR related topics now where people have not made the effort to do any prior searching... I class myself as guilty here also! The generic error people visit this forum for is:

'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and was recovered.'

Also seen as:
'Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and was recovered.' (ATI cards)
'Display driver xxxxxxxx stopped responding and was recovered.' (others)

Also noted as nvlddmkm.sys, atikmdag.sys, and xxxxxxxx.sys bug-check/BSOD.

As a first off, this is not an nVidia issue. It is not an ATI issue either. These errors are triggered by a Windows service called 'Timeout Detection and Recovery' (TDR). You will only see this error on Windows Vista and Windows 7, as TDR is a feature of the new WDDM driver model (implemented first in Vista). Its meant to be there to help stop BSOD's by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there is an issue. If the problem happens multiple times in a row, it can produce a BSOD.

The problem is normally perfectly solvable, but it can take some troubleshooting to do so. I personally have seen this issue on two separate nVidia builds, and an Intel onboard GPU.

How does TDR work?
Timeout Detection and Recovery
Windows Vista attempts to detect (these) problematic hang situations and recover a responsive desktop dynamically. In this process, the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver is reinitialized and the GPU is reset. No reboot is necessary, which greatly enhances the user experience. The only visible artifact from the hang detection to the recovery is a screen flicker, which results from resetting some portions of the graphics stack, causing a screen redraw. Some older Microsoft DirectX applications may render to a black screen at the end of this recovery. The end user would have to restart these applications.

The following is a brief overview of the TDR process:

1. Timeout detection:
The Video Scheduler component of the Windows Vista graphics stack detects that the GPU is taking more than the permitted quantum time to execute the particular task and tries to preempt this particular task. The preempt operation has a "wait" timeout—the actual "TDR timeout." This step is thus the "timeout detection" phase of the process. The default timeout period in Windows Vista is 2 seconds. If the GPU cannot complete or preempt the current task within the TDR timeout, then the GPU is diagnosed as hung.

2. Preparation for recovery:
The operating system informs the WDDM driver that a timeout has been detected and it must reset the GPU. The driver is told to stop accessing memory and should not access hardware after this time. The operating system and the WDDM driver collect hardware and other state information that could be useful for post-mortem diagnosis.

3. Desktop recovery:
The operating system resets the appropriate state of the graphics stack. The Video Memory Manager component of the graphics stack purges all allocations from video memory. The WDDM driver resets the GPU hardware state. The graphics stack takes the final actions and restores the desktop to the responsive state. As mentioned earlier, some older DirectX applications may now render just black, and the user may be required to restart these applications. Well-written DirectX 9Ex and DirectX 10 applications that handle "Device Remove" continue to work correctly. The application must release and then recreate its Microsoft Direct3D device and all of its objects. DirectX application programmers can find more information in the Windows SDK.

The things that should be done to avoid it by our hardware/software providers:
Graphics hardware vendors:
• Ensure that graphics operations (that is, DMA buffer completion) take no more than 2 seconds in end-user scenarios such as productivity and gameplay.

Graphics software vendors:
• Ensure that the DirectX graphics application does not run at a low frames per second (FPS) rate. As the FPS decreases, the likelihood of the GPU getting reset increases. If the application is running at 10 FPS or lower and a complex graphics operation is about to start, then a flush can be inserted.
• For running benchmark tests on low-end GPUs, use the aforementioned registry keys that control the TDR timeout. Remember that they should not be used in production systems because it would affect overall system stability and robustness. Use these keys only as a final solution.

System manufacturers:
• Work with the graphics hardware vendor to diagnose the TDR debug reports.
• Remember that any system that uses the aforementioned TDR registry keys to change the default values is a Windows Logo Program violation.

Windows SP1 improved the accuracy, and reduced the frequency of these events:
Windows Vista SP1 Update
Minor changes were made in Windows Vista SP1 to improve the user experience in cases of frequent and rapidly occurring GPU hangs. Repetitive GPU hangs indicate that the graphics hardware has not recovered successfully. In these instances, the system must be shut down and restarted to fully reset the graphics hardware. If the operating system detects that six or more GPU hangs and subsequent recoveries occur within 1 minute, then the following GPU hang is treated as a system bug check.

It is possible to disable TDR, but it normally happens for a reason, therefore is not recommended nor supported. For more of the quoted jargon, see HERE.

Now you know what exactly the error is, you probably want to stop it happening. Now I wish there was a one-stop fix that I could recommend, but unfortunately, TDR events can be caused by many different problems.

Common issues that can cause a TDR:
- Bad memory
- Insufficient/problematic PSU
- Corrupt driver install
- Overheating
- Unstable overclocks (GPU or CPU)
- Incorrect MB voltages (generally NB/SB)
- Faulty graphics card
- Your asking too much of your graphics card. Not one that many people like to hear, but as the blurb from Microsoft states, if your game falls below a certain FPS and something graphically complex occurs, it could trigger a TDR.
- The issue can potentially be caused by a badly written driver or piece of software, but this is an unlikely cause in most cases.

Things to check first:
(Ideally, before you post a topic on a TDR problem, it would be useful to have completed the majority of these to ensure certain things can be ruled out.)
- Run memtest (memtest.org). This should complete with NO errors.
- Check your PSU ratings. Is it providing enough power, and most importantly enough Amps on the 12V rail.
- Check temperatures. Its important you check these at load, which is generally when a TDR event will occur. Everest Ultimate Edition is a good tool for this. If things are too hot, you can use tools such as EVGA Precision to increase GPU fan speeds on graphics cards. Cleaning your system of dust can help temperatures significantly. Common sense will normally tell you if something is too hot, but if you aren't sure, the information is generally available online.
- Test with stock clocks. This includes memory, CPU and GPU (even factory OC'd cards). Best to try each separately so you can be sure if one solves the issue.
- If you are using SLI, try each card separately to see if the fault lies with one.
- Try graphics card/cards in another computer if you can.
- Check for newer driver version.
- Check for patches to the specific game with issues.

Programs to use for stress testing CPU:
- Prime95 (would advise running for at least a few hours).
- Intel Burntest (warning, can cause significant heat!)

Programs to use for stress testing GPU:
- Furmark
- 3DMark Vantage
- Crysis!
tvt_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 01:50 PM   #1483
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterace View Post
Hey ZeeWolf. Ive made a donation for your mod. It looks the biz, cant wait to play it
Hey Fighterace,
I have not received notification yet, but when I do I will e-mail you a welcome
message that you must reply to before I send you your link and password.
So, it is important to use a good e-mail address when you use PayPal.

Welcome aboard mate!

ZW
Old 09-08-10, 12:06 AM   #1484
Fighterace
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWolf View Post
Hey Fighterace,
I have not received notification yet, but when I do I will e-mail you a welcome
message that you must reply to before I send you your link and password.
So, it is important to use a good e-mail address when you use PayPal.

Welcome aboard mate!

ZW
Thanks ZW
Old 09-08-10, 05:00 AM   #1485
Dietger
Watch

Downloads: 80

Hi Zeewolf,
little change in plans ,check your PM
there are 60$ heading your way mate!