Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 01-01-11, 02:18 AM   #1
SammyB
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Which is better? Need info

Hey everyone. Was wondering which sim I want to buy today. Im going to pick between T34 Vs Tiger and Steel Fury; Kahrkov 1942. Which of these are the best as far as gameplay, graphics, replayability, mods..ect.

Thanks
Sammy

Old 01-01-11, 02:36 PM   #2
Scotty
Watch

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB View Post
Hey everyone. Was wondering which sim I want to buy today. Im going to pick between T34 Vs Tiger and Steel Fury; Kahrkov 1942. Which of these are the best as far as gameplay, graphics, replayability, mods..ect.

Thanks
Sammy
I haven't played Steel fury YET, but do plan on getting it, much more mods than T34 vs Tiger from what I hear.

There is a guy who does some nice mods for T34vsTiger, one is free, but this guy charges $60 just to get started on the main mods if you want them. He seems like a great guy, but still I am not paying no one $60 for a mod EVER...when I had to buy a game alone -- heck GWX for SH3 as well as many other GREAT mods were ALL FREE !!!!! and 100's and 100's and 100's of hours spend on those mods.. like I said all FREE.!! most people do not charge for mods..
I made a campaign mod called "Big Cats" for a tank sim called Panzer Commander a good 10 years ago, have a good 200 hours or more into it..where you command a King Tiger or PantherG for 20 huge missions. FREE !! I did not cator to the ultra rich.. it is or was, a hobby to me, not my main employment.

I hope I do not offend this TvT mod making guy, it is his right and opinion to charge if he likes, it is also our right to voice our opinions on the positives or negatives of a mod for a sim..Nothing personal what so ever -- He like the rest of us are all brothers in the love of WW2 or armored combat.

Also from what I hear Steel Fury will run on an older system, more realistic too , but no multi-player either.. I'd invest in Steel Fury 1942 if I was you..mods are free and there are many of them.. or get both

take care and good luck

good luck

Last edited by Scotty; 01-01-11 at 02:55 PM.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 06:59 PM   #3
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Don't worry scotty I not offended by your rant, but Sammy wants info from
someone who would know something about the new T34 vs Tiger. It seems
he may consider joining Project ZeeWolf based on information that is accurate.

ZeeWolf
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 08:34 PM   #4
Scotty
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWolf View Post
Don't worry scotty I not offended by your rant, but Sammy wants info from
someone who would know something about the new T34 vs Tiger. It seems
he may consider joining Project ZeeWolf based on information that is accurate.

ZeeWolf
I think Sam wanted to know what is the better sim.. of course that is a hard one to answer. Yes I have fun ranting sometimes.. Although I think it is your right to charge high prices for a mod..

I think as a whole most of us hobbyist have the honor to just let other enjoy the work we make. 99.99999999+ % feel this way.

I will say, I think you are a genius on your work.. Most people who mod would like to know 1% what you do.. You should be working for some high end software company, making tons of money.

I still stand by my comment, I think it is crazy to spend $60 for a mod, esp since we do play other sims/programs, get kind of expensive if all mod makers charged, unless one only plays one game/sim. Still I will keep an eye out on your work.. we may not agree on everything, but we share a common interest.

Tvt vs SP42 -- A lot of things you have done are remarkable, but one can not change the game engine.. like when you are deep in the woods, and the AI can see you, but you can not see them... you can never sneak up on them. TvT is good for EYE Candy, but Steel Fury 1942 is like much more realistic.. much much more mods.

Take care Zee, also good to have talked with ya scotty
Old 01-01-11, 08:38 PM   #5
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

T-34 Vs Tiger is really good-looking, but replayability lacks in the stock game because of only 12 missions. of course, as said, 60 bucks will get you into Project Zeewolf for a year, and it costs less to continue on to the next year. if your rig can handle it, its very suggestable.

Steel Fury is slightly lacking in the visuals department, but there are more playable tanks, and a lot of replayability in the fact that there are a lot of missionmakers and a lot of people looking for such a thing. there are a plethora of mods, most increase realism, and theres a few that changes the textures and such.

theres good things and bad things about both games. so it depends on what you are REALLY looking for in a game
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 12:04 AM   #6
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default TvsT vs SF

Well thanks Scotty I am happy to know, beginning a new year, that I belong to the ultra-rich crowd.Sure boosts my ego if not my bank account....

Careful not to categorise people or generalise.If I were ultra rich I would buy ZeeWolf for my exclusive service

I personally own both ZeeWolf's Kursk mod(TvsT) and SF and I like them both. |SF has lots of mods and a friendly Mission Editor whereas TvsT has slightly better graphics and thanks to ZeeWolf a future.I agree paying for mods is not an attractive idea and may offend us because we are accustomed to freebees( including yours in the past).Now it's a personal decision which everyone is free to make or not.

Don't pay unless you are ready for the idea.If you are not buying ZeeWolf's mod then definitely take SF as hands down it beats the competition(the stock TvsT).

BTW it's cater not cator...
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 05:45 PM   #7
Scotty
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Well thanks Scotty I am happy to know, beginning a new year, that I belong to the ultra-rich crowd.Sure boosts my ego if not my bank account....

Careful not to categorise people or generalise.If I were ultra rich I would buy ZeeWolf for my exclusive service

I personally own both ZeeWolf's Kursk mod(TvsT) and SF and I like them both. |SF has lots of mods and a friendly Mission Editor whereas TvsT has slightly better graphics and thanks to ZeeWolf a future.I agree paying for mods is not an attractive idea and may offend us because we are accustomed to freebees( including yours in the past).Now it's a personal decision which everyone is free to make or not.

Don't pay unless you are ready for the idea.If you are not buying ZeeWolf's mod then definitely take SF as hands down it beats the competition(the stock TvsT).

BTW it's cater not cator...

None of the programs are freebies (not freebees BTW - while your on the spelling team LOL).

Mods are just that, they are or can be hard work, but nothing compared to the main program.

I think the norm is, most will not pay. Zee Wolf sure is a smart fella I admit.. maybe he deserves to be paid, but so does the other great modders of sims/games. Maybe that is part of my thinking.

I'll will try the mod when I find it for free someday/year.. (a mod is not licensed software).. I'm more interested in Steel Fury 1942 now.. for Tanks
It's like SH5.. NEVER buy it..(unless I find it in the bargain bin for $5.00.) DRM. you know. SH3-4 all the way for subs.

Anyways good to chat with ya.. sorry for the spelling errors
Old 01-02-11, 10:09 PM   #8
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Beam me up

You scored Scotty!(I guess it was the honey lover in me talking).

You're not the first one to face that problem.Everybody wants free mods and I bow to all those selfless guys who put in so much work and dedication expecting nothing but positive feed back and the satusfaction of having contributed to something.

In TvsT's case that game was dead in the water; both SP and Mp were flawed by bugs and deserted, the distributor( incidentally the same one who held the rights to SF) went belly-up and the company that made it just washed their collectives hands and even pulled it off their website of games they took credit for.What were the fans who had bought it to do? Came along ZeeWolf promising to resurrect it ans turn it into something new, better and with a future.But it came with a price as he said he spent 18 months trying to figure out the ME and codes and practically making it full-time work outside of his job that is.

He wants to be paid for that and frankly I don't blame him as nobody else tried to really mod this game except for the limited MP mods that basically did not address the game's flaws, lack of variety and support.

As for paying games cheap, unfortunately if everybody does that game companies will either go broke or simply stop investing in new games as there's no money to be made.I believe everybody is entitled to a fair price/salary as long as they deliver a good quality product.

Enjoy SF it's a great game and with lots of free mods.Make sure to read the threads dedicated to SF resources on this forum and Graviteam's forum.If you need help/advice don't be shy I always around

Welcome on board Scotty and beam me up!
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 07:10 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB View Post

Thanks
Sammy
It seems you want the WWII era. So the choice is between the two titles you mentioned. Just in case that my assumption on the timeline is wrong or you do not know about it, I remind you that Steel Beasts Pro PE also exists, which is the benchmark of the tank genre.
Old 01-04-11, 07:57 PM   #10
Scotty
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
You scored Scotty!(I guess it was the honey lover in me talking).

You're not the first one to face that problem.Everybody wants free mods and I bow to all those selfless guys who put in so much work and dedication expecting nothing but positive feed back and the satusfaction of having contributed to something.

In TvsT's case that game was dead in the water; both SP and Mp were flawed by bugs and deserted, the distributor( incidentally the same one who held the rights to SF) went belly-up and the company that made it just washed their collectives hands and even pulled it off their website of games they took credit for.What were the fans who had bought it to do? Came along ZeeWolf promising to resurrect it ans turn it into something new, better and with a future.But it came with a price as he said he spent 18 months trying to figure out the ME and codes and practically making it full-time work outside of his job that is.

He wants to be paid for that and frankly I don't blame him as nobody else tried to really mod this game except for the limited MP mods that basically did not address the game's flaws, lack of variety and support.

As for paying games cheap, unfortunately if everybody does that game companies will either go broke or simply stop investing in new games as there's no money to be made.I believe everybody is entitled to a fair price/salary as long as they deliver a good quality product.

Enjoy SF it's a great game and with lots of free mods.Make sure to read the threads dedicated to SF resources on this forum and Graviteam's forum.If you need help/advice don't be shy I always around

Welcome on board Scotty and beam me up!

People have the right to sell their work, it is a free world. I have seen a few people demand a small donation for mods. very seldom.
You are right, the mod makers work long hours spicing up things.. they deserve more than they get credit for.

But let us keep in mind if everyone wants to charge for mods, a lot of people would be put off.. if the avg person plays 5-20 different programs
every year, and they had to pay only $20 for each mod... it would add up...
most people who pay bills raise a family etc would give up.. the game would die out
once a person pays for a game, most do not want to pay again..
unless for expansions..

. or like the old Warbirds days pay a monthly fee to fly online (AIR WARRIOR charged by the hour).
they was greedy -- and died off.

I've as well an many others have paid $40-$60 for a sim/game, then an expansion comes out, and we buy it for $20...

Most people make mods to enhance the sim/game they love, spend many long hours doing so it has always been a common courtesy to share mods with your fellow sim friends, not try and hack money from them.

it brings people together, think about SH3- SH4, look at all those great mods... if everyone charged, I'll bet only about 1% of the people would be on those forums. it is like DRM, most do not want to pay for a sim, and the company keeps part of the game YOU bought. so you have to be online to play and connect to the company site to play the rest of the game you bought they have and are with-holding from you..

Back to mods, no mod, and I mean no mod is worth more than the main program, I know there are some VERY talented modders out there, but a lot of programs required 10,000 man hours to make..at best a mod would be worth 20% of the the main program.

Another thought, I know the people on this site are not my main everyday friends, but in other ways they are,, all the people who have helped me, helped others, shared info, shared mods on the SH3-4 forums etc..
for me to make a mod, and say, to all those who have shared files together and then say "here you go, just $30 a year,,and you can have my mod!" I would not be able to sleep at night.

I've had a submarine sim/game website years ago (before this one), I've made mods for sims, games.. it was never about making money.. it is about enhancing the pleasure and sharing it with others who have the same interests . not sharing it with people I can make money from. I have a reg job for that.

Bless Zeewolf for his hard work.. I'm not interested in paying for mods though. it has turned me off to TvT now.

take care