SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-20, 07:41 PM   #1
DuncanS
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Sink a tug boat?

Just wondering if a tug boat would have been a valid target. I came across one near Ishinomaki harbor and while probably not worth a torpedo I was thinking of trying to take it out with the deck gun. Would a captain in the Pacific theater have bothered with it?
DuncanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 10:28 PM   #2
captainadccdacaptain
Gunner

Downloads: 49

Long story short, yes it has happened. Though they are not an important kill. In all honesty its up to you wether you want to sink it or not

Last edited by captainadccdacaptain; 01-19-20 at 10:39 PM.
captainadccdacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 11:20 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Unsure how the game handles such encounters.

In WWII engaging such targets could result in a radio message to IJN HQ advising them of your presence. If that is the case, the skipper would have to weigh the value of sinking the target vs possible exposure...

Since tugboats are usually in a harbor with DDs or other bad dudes, I remain submerged and avoid them...

FWIW, I only attack sampans, junks and- fishing boats when in open water and even then will usually take them on with the deck gun if they are close to my path, mostly because the work involved in tracking them isn't worth the tonnage.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 11:13 AM   #4
DuncanS
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Hey thanks for the video link. I actually did a little reading on the Silverside a while ago. That was interesting.

I was in Ishinomaki harbor and sank 2 medium tankers and a gunship and was on my way back out when I came across the tug boat. It's already pretty obvious I'm in the area and there doesn't' seem to be anything nastier nearby at the moment so I probably have time. I wasn't sure if it was considered un-sportsman like to sink a target that had no real value :P.

Thanks for the replies all.
DuncanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 12:22 PM   #5
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanS View Post
I was in Ishinomaki harbor and sank 2 medium tankers and a gunship and was on my way back out when I came across the tug boat. It's already pretty obvious I'm in the area and there doesn't' seem to be anything nastier nearby at the moment so I probably have time. I wasn't sure if it was considered un-sportsman like to sink a target that had no real value :P.

Sounds safe... I reckon the only way to find out would be to save the game, sink one then check the results
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote