SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-20, 11:43 PM   #1
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Odd fuel usage

I topped off the tanks at Tulagi en route to the Bungo Suido on an insertion mission, reaching that destination with ~62% remaining, IIRC. At a position 300km 152 degrees SSE of Miyazaki, I had 52% remaining, so I set course for Exmouth Gulf via the San Bernardino and Makassar Straits. I was under 10% before I reached the first strait.

Going back to that same save point (52%), I instead set a course directly for Tulagi and avoided all combat. Nevertheless I was under 10% just 150km SSE of Guam. Only a little over 200 km NNW I had hit the 25% warning.

All speed settings after the 52% mark were at 2/3s impulse (this is all in stock 1.5). What's going on? Does the game model the Kuroshio and other currents or is this a fault of mine or a program glitch? I can't imagine why COMSUBPAC would send us on a mission of no return.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 12:06 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yer gas gauge is broken, and a 3/4 tank is actually at half...

But seriously, how fast are you going? Generally speaking, Ahead Standard is the most efficient, though not always. Does Stock have a "Range at Current Speed" menu button?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 12:14 AM   #3
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Based on earlier observations, standard cruise speed in stock 1.5 is Ahead Slow, not Standard. That's what I used exclusively from the save point with 52% diesel onward. I didn't notice the button you mention in this test series, but have seen it on GFO and Berbster's mod.
Old 01-09-20, 06:37 AM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default fuel consumption

Generally speaking, most of the SH4 fleet boats have a range of 10,000 to 11,000 nautical miles if you're conservative. The S-class boats are probably around 8,000 nm. This also depends on Stock game vs. whatever mod you might be using.

You'll burn more diesel at 1/3, 2/3 (Slow), Full, Flank and when you're recharging batteries at all speeds.

The most conservative speed for the fleet boat is going to be around 10 nm/hr and the S-class around 8 nm/hr. This is around "Standard" speed but it's better to actually dial in your exact speed on the dial. It would be advisable to try some speeds; 8, 9, 10 & 11 nm/hr and request the "Range" at these speeds and you'll quickly learn the most conservative traveling speed.

The maximum "Range" button is generally under the Navigator controls if memory serves me correctly. I've made this command an actual button on my keyboard; some of the mods have to.

Note: It should be obvious, but batteries recharge faster at slower speeds and recharging affects top end speed. There's a button and keystroke that toggles recharging that may not be available on the stock game.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by von Zelda; 01-09-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-09-20, 08:24 AM   #5
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

The only related button in Navigation is the "Time to End Course" in stock 1.5, unfortunately. I'm using a Gato-class boat for testing manual targeting and limited fuel before moving on to FotRSUE and all the customization that will entail, so I guess this only means something if the supermod follows stock's lead in this regard. Still, it's very odd and now I remember why I chose unlimited fuel and automatic targeting very soon after I started playing this game.
Old 01-09-20, 09:16 AM   #6
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Stock game doesn't have a range to end button for fuel. You can patch the files to get that info. <shift-g> for fuel range, <ctrl-w> for weather.

the info:
Fuel range at current speed:
So, in: \Data\Cfg\Commands.cfg
Commands.cfg (open with a text editor like Notepad)

[Cmd257] <------------------ Step #1: Find "[Cmd257]"
Name=Report_time_to_turn
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250002
Key0=0x47,s,"Shift+G" <--------- Step #2: Add this string

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you also want the 'Weather Report' "Ctrl+W" make this [Cmd261] edit:

[Cmd261]
Name=Report_weather
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250006
Key0=0x57,c,"Ctrl+W" <--------- Step #3: Add this string

To remember "Shift+G" and "Ctrl+W" add them to your in-Game F1 Help file:
In: Data\Menu\Help\Help.cfg
Help.cfg (open with a text editor like Notepad, and find the 'OTHER CONTROLS' section:

[Chapter1.Phrase6]
Phrase=<b>OTHER CONTROLS</b>| NumPad - Decrease Time Compression| NumPad + Increase Time Compression| Backspace Pause|

------------------------------- Step #4: and add Ctrl+W & Shift+G:

[Chapter1.Phrase6]
Phrase=<b>OTHER CONTROLS</b>| Ctrl+W Weather Report| Shift+G Maximum range at current speed| NumPad - Decrease Time Compression| NumPad + Increase Time Compression| Backspace Pause|

Fuel range at current speed:
So, in: \Data\Cfg\Commands.cfg
Commands.cfg (open with a text editor like Notepad)

[Cmd257] <------------------ Step #1: Find "[Cmd257]"
Name=Report_time_to_turn
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250002
Key0=0x47,s,"Shift+G" <--------- Step #2: Add this string

If you also want the 'Weather Report' "Ctrl+W" make this [Cmd261] edit:

[Cmd261]
Name=Report_weather
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F250006
Key0=0x57,c,"Ctrl+W" <--------- Step #3: Add this string

To remember "Shift+G" and "Ctrl+W" add them to your in-Game F1 Help file:
In: Data\Menu\Help\Help.cfg
Help.cfg (open with a text editor like Notepad, and find the 'OTHER CONTROLS' section:

[Chapter1.Phrase6]
Phrase=<b>OTHER CONTROLS</b>| NumPad - Decrease Time Compression| NumPad + Increase Time Compression| Backspace Pause|

------------------------------- Step #4: and add Ctrl+W & Shift+G:

[Chapter1.Phrase6]
Phrase=<b>OTHER CONTROLS</b>| Ctrl+W Weather Report| Shift+G Maximum range at current speed| NumPad - Decrease Tim

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 09:27 AM   #7
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default SH4 Commands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
The only related button in Navigation is the "Time to End Course" in stock 1.5, unfortunately. I'm using a Gato-class boat for testing manual targeting and limited fuel before moving on to FotRSUE ....
Unfortunately, there are a number of commands that have been left out of Stock SH4 or totally ignored as keystrokes.

You'll be able to check your gas mileage when you install FotRS UE. "CTRL+G" is the keystroke for "Range to Course End" and "K" is for "Maximum Range at Current Speed" per the support documentation that accompanies the FotRS UE mod.

I've personally added and/or changed many keystroke commands since the early days of playing SH3, and then SH4 to suit my own personal needs. Most all the super mods have to, but they vary per the individual mod.
Old 01-10-20, 06:45 PM   #8
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Thanks for all the responses and assistance. I'm looking forward to moving to FotRSUE once the training wheels are off (persistent issues with manual targeting).

I'm still not clear on how I could be above 50% fuel several hundred km after turning for home yet run out only halfway back using the same speed settings and actually avoiding combat. Between this and the bizarre targeting issues, I wonder if my copy of the game isn't somehow corrupted.

Has no one else run into this?

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 01-10-20 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 07:39 PM   #9
propbeanie

As mentioned elsewhere, the most common issue is using old Save files. Anytime you change mods, you are changing some of the files. If the Save folder contains a file of the same name as one in the new mod set-up, it is not overwritten. That might be part of the issue. I don't think the game simulates fuel tank damage, though it does seem like it sometimes... The big thing is to find the most efficient speed, especially after you are past bingo. If you have the patience, the batteries never truly run down all of the way, so you could submerge and do about a half of a knot at a time the rest of the way home. Come up for air, of course. Also, the fuel goes way beyond what they say it will... just keep driving until you can't.

Old 01-10-20, 11:29 PM   #10
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Good point, although it's not a save game issue in this case, as I recently deleted all the SH4 directories and files. Could be a shelling out issue though, as I haven't been as careful with this test installation as I would have been in a real career. Didn't expect anything like this though; just CTDs.
Old 01-11-20, 02:02 AM   #11
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

FWIW, fuel expenditure for a Gato class over the same 2000 km course in one direction in stock 1.5 is:

@ Standard (17kts) = 20%
@ 2/3rds (12kts) = 11%
@ 9kts = 8%
@ 11kts = 9%
@ 10kts = 7%

ETA: @ Full (20kts) = 27%
ETA: @ Flank (21kts) = 30%

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 01-13-20 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 10:30 AM   #12
propbeanie

... and what does "Ahead Standard" (3) give you for a speed?

Old 01-11-20, 06:53 PM   #13
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Ahead Standard is 17 kts.
Old 01-12-20, 11:56 PM   #14
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

This is an unwinnable scenario. I restarted the patrol and ran at 10 kt, the most fuel-efficient speed, all the way up to the Bungo Suido, dropped the agent, and attacked a tanker at the SE corner of the entrance to the strait on the return, using only 25% of bunkerage. I saved the game to evaluate the choices of either heading for Exmouth Gulf or taking a reciprocal heading back to Tulagi.

Option 1: Headed for Exmouth via the Bohol Sea, Tawi Tawi, and the Lombok Strait. Ran out of diesel 300 km north of the strait.

Option 2: Reciprocal course to Tulagi via Guam, Truk, and Bougainville. Ran out of diesel 220 km north of Buka. That's more than triple usage on the return vs the outbound leg.

Combat activity was similar in both directions in option 2 and I did a great deal of diving to avoid patrol planes.

Even factoring in currents, this is inexplicable.

Propbeanie, what does the 3 in Ahead Standard (3) mean?
Old 01-13-20, 12:09 AM   #15
propbeanie

The button press on the keyboard to order Ahead Standard. Don't confuse "Full" with "Standard". Either way though, you should not be having 25% usage and then not be able to make it back to Tulagi. Are you using 100% Stock, or have you ever applied a mod at all to your game? If you have, open your JSGME, and in the middle there, is "Tasks...", so click on it, then on "Export activated mod list to -->", then on "Clipboard". Use <Ctrl><V> to paste your list into your next reply. Something is not right with your set-up... also mention which boat you use each time you run this. Do you get a "Bingo Fuel" message at all? Where they warn you "Sir, we have used almost 50% of our fuel."?? Are you using a career here, or a Single (Quick) Mission?