SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-22, 06:37 PM   #1501
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Maybe... just maybe... find the aspect that transfers you from the Type II-B (I believe is what you had last command of, yes..???) to that Type II-D assignment... & convert it from a Type II-D, to... a Type VII-D, or whatever Type VII, that would be applicable for Lorient base to have had... at that time.

Just a thought...

M. M.
Old 07-18-22, 11:08 PM   #1502
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Feb 1944 Type IXC Lorient.

Equipped my boat with a schnorchel Type IX. Now wont let me load my torpedo reserves (external) and two forward slots in the internal reserve. Is this supposed to be this way or a bug?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 11:23 PM   #1503
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

Equipped my boat with a schnorchel Type IX. Now wont let me load my torpedo reserves (external) and two forward slots in the internal reserve. Is this supposed to be this way or a bug?
As I recall... the externals, stopped being loaded except for certain ports... which was very... very few, left in that later category. The vast majority of uboats that had external stores, were not used any more... owing to it being too dangerous to try & move them from there to inside the boat.

Think that it's likely, that has been scripted into the sim.

Now, as for the 2 internal stores... no clue on them... with it being internal & NOT external... would figure that you'd be able to have those spots filled, before leaving base.

M. M.
Old 07-19-22, 12:33 AM   #1504
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:

It was intentional by Lurker… late war no more external torpedoes (as in real) and for internal slots, to simulate the lacking of ammunitions.
They suppressed external torp because of plane threat. Couldn’t stay surfaced long enough to load torpedoes.

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 01:11 AM   #1505
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
It was intentional by Lurker… late war no more external torpedoes (as in real) and for internal slots, to simulate the lacking of ammunitions.
They suppressed external torp because of plane threat. Couldn’t stay surfaced long enough to load torpedoes.

Figured, they can be loaded, just have to be in certain order.

In what is a incredibly stable mod until now, ive had my first CTD in Feb 1944 with Type IXC. Both times under air attack by RAF Liberator...

Also, do where are the aerial rockets located? They seem to suffer same issue hedgehogs had, cause no damage . I took two direct hits while diving to avoid from area rockets, zero damage. Another time, took another hit, no damage.

CTD both times..
Old 07-19-22, 05:17 AM   #1506
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I do have a question: what is that program that interrupts your gameplay just before the 46 minute mark? That is a "shell-out to Windows Desktop", and that can cause issues with the game, since it is an old single-core program, written for DirectX v9.0c. It does not understand "multi-tasking" or the cpu powering up or down, etc., none of that 'modern' OS stuff. So when the computer shells-out, sometimes not all of the resources are in the same place for the game to find.
@probeanie. No, the software did not interrupt my game, it was me who did CRTL+ALT+SUP to return to the desktop, because returning to the desktop fixes the graphical bug. As you can see before the 46mins the destroyers are transparent and after the 46mins the destroyers are no longer transparent.
The software is just the windows music software and it's not what bugs my game, because when I don't activate it it's the same problem.
On the other hand, I noticed that the bug appears when I go to the "command post" of my submarine.
And this bug does not appear at the beginning of the mission. Indeed, when I start a mission I can put the graphics to the maximum everything works correctly.

I too have a question: can DirectX be the cause of this bug?
In fact, when I install my game, the game asks me to install the old DirectX files... If I refuse, will my game still work with the new DirectX files? and can it fix my problem if i leave the new ones?

Quote:
I notice also that there is pixelation on the ship's wake there just after the 46 minute mark, and if that is in the game, that is not correct. Of course, it could be a video processing artifact, I don't know, but if it is displaying like that in the game, there is something amiss in the video stream...
These pixelations are not a problem at all, when I activate the "Texture quality high" option in the graphics options these pixelations in the wakes of the ships and my submarine disappear.
For information, I do not activate this option when I am in the presence of a large convoy otherwise my game crashes.

Quote:
You might experiment with the SH4.exe "Properties" on the "Compatibility" tab for some of the video settings, and see if anything improves there.
I tried all the compatibilities of the "Properties" of SH4.exe. They don't solve the problem. But, thank you for this idea

Another question, can the problem be caused by a defect in the refresh of the image, because when I lower the Hz of my screen compared to that of my game the bug is less strong?
For example, when I set my screen to 1920*1080 60Hz resolution and my game to 1920*1080 60Hz resolution when I return to desktop, my game crashes. However, when I put my screen at 60Hz and my game at 59Hz, my game does not crash when I return to desktop...

Quote:
But I am at a loss as to what would be impacting your game, other than game mechanics (bandwidth) when ships and planes spawn nearby, which each spawn will cause a slight "hitch" in the display if you are using much time compression, so as a convoy gets within roughly 24nm, you'll start experiencing little "hiccups" as each ship spawns into the game, and if using high TC, the whole convoy might spawn within a second or two of real time, and cause a noticeable "pause" in the game, but then it should resolve, and then just the bandwidth used for display would impact the game. This is somewhat similar in nature to getting close to a major port with a lot of ships and planes in the area.
It is true that I use the time compression a lot and at its maximum capacity, because I always sail at minimum speed, because I play with the limited diesel in order to save my diesel.
Indeed, I feel it's small jumps when a convoy is in my hydrophone detection zone.

Could this bug be caused by the fact that I compress time a lot?

Another question, what is the “Vertical Sync” option in the graphics option for? Because my game bugs a lot more when I activate it?

Cordially, Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 07-19-22 at 06:53 AM.
CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 06:09 AM   #1507
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainEA View Post
@probeanie. No, the software did not interrupt my game, it was me who did CRTL+ALT+SUP to return to the desktop, because returning to the desktop fixes the graphical bug. As you can see before the 46mins the destroyers are transparent and after the 46mins the destroyers are no longer transparent.
The software is just the windows music software and it's not what bugs my game, because when I don't activate it it's the same problem.
On the other hand, I noticed that the bug appears when I go to the "command post" of my submarine.
And this bug does not appear at the beginning of the mission. Indeed, when I start a mission I can put the graphics to the maximum everything works correctly.

I too have a question: can DirectX be the cause of this bug?
In fact, when I install my game, the game asks me to install the old DirectX files... If I refuse, will my game still work with the new DirectX files? and can it fix my problem if i leave the new ones?

These pixelations are not a problem at all, when I activate the "Texture quality high" option in the graphics options these pixelations in the wakes of the ships and my submarine disappear.
For information, I do not activate this option when I am in the presence of a large convoy otherwise my game crashes.

I tried all the compatibilities of the "Properties" of SH4.exe. They don't solve the problem. But, thank you for this idea

Another question, can the problem be caused by a defect in the refresh of the image, because when I lower the Hz of my screen compared to that of my game the bug is less strong?
For example, when I set my screen to 1920*1080 60Hz resolution and my game to 1920*1080 60Hz resolution when I return to desktop, my game crashes. However, when I put my screen at 60Hz and my game at 59Hz, my game does not crash when I return to desktop...

Another question, what is the “Vertical Sync” option in the graphics option for? Because my game bugs a lot more when I activate it?

Cordially, Captain_PUJOL
One thing to remember about the SH games, is that they were written in the days of Windows XP, single-core cpu, and analog CRT monitors. The game has no concept of 'virtualization' of today's 'modern' OS and expects to find everything in the same place every time. When you "shell-out", the game can potentially "lose its place" in the game scencario. Sometimes, as you've seen, doing such can apparently initiate a "refresh" of sorts. However, something else has probably gone astray somewhere else. Generally speaking, nothing major such as a crash will come from it, but you will notice that some of the sounds you heard before no longer sound, or perhaps the sound of the background ocean noises are no longer in the background, and do not quit when you are in the sub interior view. Maybe you'll see a "steam cloud" following your submerged sub around, or any one of a number of graphic anomalies. Perhaps the CO2 builds up, and then will not clear when you surface, and crew members then start dropping like flies. Any one of a number of apparent issues are caused by shelling-out to Windows. If you do experience these symptoms, it is better to Save and Exit the game. Then re-start the game and Load that Save, then continue.

Similarly associated with this is the video stream of the computer through the game. Unlike modern games that can detect your computer's hardware and settings, Silent Hunter cannot. The best set-up for the game in this regard is to find your monitor's "native" resolution and set Windows to that. When you look at the Display Resolution settings, Windows will show a "(recommended)" next to what it sees is the display monitors native resolution. Be sure you have that. The refresh rate is also in there somewhere. In the game at its Options menu, Graphic Settings, use the drop-down box to change to the same setting. There should not be a huge difference between choosing 59Hz and 60Hz... but the old US analog standard was 29.97Hz, which was usually display rounded up to 30Hz. Similar is done for 59.94Hz. It is usually rounded to 60Hz. If you notice a difference between a 59 and 60 setting, that surprises me... Perhaps they have a difference addressing scheme or something...

Anyway, on a 'modern' computer with a digital display, the use of sync lock in the game generally will cause issues with the display of the water, and can turn it into a sea of "jello". Really odd looking. On the old analog displays, it did help with keeping the "clocks" of the game in sync with each other. The game is written to attempt to display a 30fps video stream (and it still runs best at), which most user computers at the time did not quite attain. The DirectX v9.0c supplies the library files that the game uses, and the "timer" function, as well as the "random number generator" used by the game come from that DirectX v9 dll set, hence you definitely need to install the DirectX v9.0c and its codecs, else the game will not run in the 3D environment. Doing the DirectX v9 install does not overwrite anything on the computer - Windows will not let it. However, it does add some files to the Windows install setup that the game then calls on. Any older game that ran on DirectX v9 needs the files.

When recording video of gameplay, if you do not have the functionality of the Windows Game Bar, or a video card applet that you can use hotkeys to start without changing screens and / or turning from the gameplay, then it is best to start the game and get to the menu. Then shell-out to the desktop to start your recording app, go back into the game and then start your career, Load a Save, Single Mission, or whatever. Then use a hotkey combination to begin recording when you want. You want to avoid, if at all possible, shelling-out to Windows while you are in the game's 3D world. If you do have to, pause the game (ESC or BACKSPACE key or whatever), and it might not impact it as much.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it is a rather complex subject. If you still have little niggly issues, post back with your JSGME active mod list.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 06:12 AM   #1508
propbeanie

I find this interesting
Quote:
Also, do where are the aerial rockets located? They seem to suffer same issue hedgehogs had, cause no damage . I took two direct hits while diving to avoid from area rockets, zero damage. Another time, took another hit, no damage.

CTD both times..
I'm wanting to try an experiment for this Bubblehead1980. What boat are you in? Where approximately are you and the approximate date? What platform is shooting rockets at you? Have you altered any damage models? Thanks!

Old 07-19-22, 09:52 AM   #1509
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Maybe... just maybe... find the aspect that transfers you from the Type II-B (I believe is what you had last command of, yes..???) to that Type II-D assignment... & convert it from a Type II-D, to... a Type VII-D, or whatever Type VII, that would be applicable for Lorient base to have had... at that time.
Just a thought...
M. M.
actually, the effect i was seeking was the decision to end the career in the Black Sea as it actually played out in RL. and i accomplished that. it took a while and i burned some brain cells finding the path.

because of the Ubi design, there is an alternate path to career end and THAT logic has escaped me. i still do not understand why it transferred me to Lorient and not somewhere else. i am still thinking on that.

and then, last and certainly not least, there is the mission-end date of 8/26/44 and the next mission beginning on 8/25/44. THAT just blows my mind. because 8/25/44 is a decision-date within Flotillas (and other files) i may return to my save file and tool around for a day or so and then return to base. although as soon i type that i realize that my home base expires on 8/25/44 and if i delay i have no home base to return to.

maybe THAT is the bug. because i returned to base on 8/25/44 and Ubi automagically bumps the date by one before you are shown the home port screen, making the date 8/26/44, but the home base expires 8/25/44, so they backdated the next mission to get one out of home base before it expires? how could anyone code with illogic as messed up as that?

this mess drives me nuts.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-22, 12:02 PM   #1510
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
actually, the effect i was seeking was the decision to end the career in the Black Sea as it actually played out in RL. and i accomplished that. it took a while and i burned some brain cells finding the path.

because of the Ubi design, there is an alternate path to career end and THAT logic has escaped me. i still do not understand why it transferred me to Lorient and not somewhere else. i am still thinking on that.

and then, last and certainly not least, there is the mission-end date of 8/26/44 and the next mission beginning on 8/25/44. THAT just blows my mind. because 8/25/44 is a decision-date within Flotillas (and other files) i may return to my save file and tool around for a day or so and then return to base. although as soon i type that i realize that my home base expires on 8/25/44 and if i delay i have no home base to return to.

maybe THAT is the bug. because i returned to base on 8/25/44 and Ubi automagically bumps the date by one before you are shown the home port screen, making the date 8/26/44, but the home base expires 8/25/44, so they backdated the next mission to get one out of home base before it expires? how could anyone code with illogic as messed up as that?

this mess drives me nuts.
On the insanity that Ubi created, with some of their bone headed ideas, as well as coding... we can both agree on.

Heck, I say that we can all agree on that...

Any way, hope that idea I had may be found useful elsewhere... perhaps...

M. M.
Old 07-19-22, 03:50 PM   #1511
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I find this interesting

I'm wanting to try an experiment for this Bubblehead1980. What boat are you in? Where approximately are you and the approximate date? What platform is shooting rockets at you? Have you altered any damage models? Thanks!

Type IXC Feb 3 1944 2nd Flotilla Lorient. I have not touched the damage model.

RAF Liberator firing rockets, as well as Mosquito, another twin engine...similar to Ventura...all British planes.
Old 07-19-22, 07:47 PM   #1512
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Type IXC Feb 3 1944 2nd Flotilla Lorient. I have not touched the damage model.

RAF Liberator firing rockets, as well as Mosquito, another twin engine...similar to Ventura...all British planes.
If... NOT mistaken... the Wellington, can also fire off rockets... as well.

Started a career outta Lorient, 1st patrol orders were to hit 5 way points, while on the way to... Penang.

Type IX uboat, think it was a C maybe D2, think tail end of Sept. 1st week in Oct of '43... Bay of Bis-pain (Biscay).

Dodged 4 attacks... 2 or 3 of them Wellingtons 1 of the 4 was a Sunderland.

5th & last attack, was a Wellington, I believe... event cam on... watched puffs of smoke... explosions, the sounds of men screaming... Mdddiiiiccccc...
damage reports flooding in, right along with water pouring into My uboats shattered hull.

After a few moments... the crushing oblivion of darkness...

So ended the career of 1 Dieter Trautmann... ahhh well... though... NO CTD's.

M. M.
Old 07-20-22, 09:12 AM   #1513
CapitainEA
Seaman

Quote:
Sorry for the wall of text, but it is a rather complex subject.
Don't apologize, you seem so passionate and competent in your field that I really feel that you will solve my problem that it is a pleasure to read you

Quote:
Anyway, on a 'modern' computer with a digital display, the use of sync lock in the game generally will cause issues with the display of the water, and can turn it into a sea of "jello". Really odd looking. On the old analog displays, it did help with keeping the "clocks" of the game in sync with each other. The game is written to attempt to display a 30fps video stream (and it still runs best at), which most user computers at the time did not quite attain. The DirectX v9.0c supplies the library files that the game uses, and the "timer" function, as well as the "random number generator" used by the game come from that DirectX v9 dll set, hence you definitely need to install the DirectX v9.0c and its codecs, else the game will not run in the 3D environment. Doing the DirectX v9 install does not overwrite anything on the computer - Windows will not let it. However, it does add some files to the Windows install setup that the game then calls on. Any older game that ran on DirectX v9 needs the files.
Thank you again for this idea .

Is there a tutorial to properly install DirectX 9.0c with SH4?

Where should I install DirectX 9.0c? In x64 or x86?

Should I install certain DirectX files or subfiles directly into the game data?

And which ones should I install, because there are so many

Should I install only the June 2010 ones or the others are important too?

Quote:
If you still have little niggly issues, post back with your JSGME active mod list.
Where can I find this list?

Another problem example of my situation: here I am in SCAPA FLOW, there is just an enemy destroyer patrolling. And I am unable to launch a backup with the “Texture Quality High” option selected....

Cordially

Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 07-20-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 10:36 AM   #1514
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainEA View Post
Don't apologize, you seem so passionate and competent in your field that I really feel that you will solve my problem that it is a pleasure to read you

Thank you again for this idea

Is there a tutorial to properly install DirectX 9.0c with SH4?

Where should I install DirectX 9.0c? In x64 or x86?

Should I install certain DirectX files or subfiles directly into the game data?

And which ones should I install, because there are so many

Should I install only the June 2010 ones or the others are important too?

Where can I find this list?

Another problem example of my situation: here I am in SCAPA FLOW, there is just an enemy destroyer patrolling. And I am unable to launch a backup with the “Texture Quality High” option selected....
If your game runs in the 3D world, which it looks and sounds like it does, then you do not have to worry about the DirectXv9 files. They are apparently there. In theory, they are not the source of your trouble. However, if you do happen to re-install the game, do NOT skip them. The game will not enter the 3D world without them.

As for the JSGME list, open JSGME.exe, and on the middle bar is a "Tasks..." link. Click on that, and at the bottom is "Export activated mods list to >", and from that, you can choose "text file" or "clipboard". If you choose clipboard, you can use the <Ctrl><V> key combo to past it into your next post.

Old 07-20-22, 12:00 PM   #1515
CapitainEA
Seaman

Quote:
As for the JSGME list, open JSGME.exe, and on the middle bar is a "Tasks..." link. Click on that, and at the bottom is "Export activated mods list to >", and from that, you can choose "text file" or "clipboard". If you choose clipboard, you can use the <Ctrl><V> key combo to past it into your next post.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

OM_DarkWaters_V6
OM_Med_Env
OM_Warm_Clothes
DBSM_SH4

Is there a tutorial that explains how to install the OM DW mod on windows 10?

In order to observe if I have not omitted a step ....

Cordially, Captain_PUJOL