SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Red Storm Rising
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-06, 11:42 AM   #46
Trout
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Q: what does "all sensor surveliance mean?" and is it a requirement for successful mission completion?

Trout
Old 03-02-06, 01:05 PM   #47
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I would interpret it to mean "all sensors necessary" to detect departing platforms, as opposed to "all sensors available." Using active sensors is generally a bad idea, and Bill usually isn't mean enough to force you to.

I think the mission requires you to mark evey platform departing the harbor, any sensor you do it with will count.
Old 03-11-06, 08:10 AM   #48
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6
Default Bastion Gamit

I played Bastion Gamit and almost spit out my coffee. Here's the scenerio...

UUV and sonar pick up subsurface and surface contact pulling out of port like a bat out of hell. I'm still outside the teritorial waters and creeping at 4 knots at heading 225. I get up to see what's going on with my screaming kids while peeking at the game here and there. I sit down and classify the Grisha and Delta IV with them both still a far way off. Get up again to see the deal is with my 5 and 3 year old girls..come back and see a message..."Torpedo in the water!"

What the *#%@ and hell? Lay active and passive CM's shallow (of course) and steer to 045 at flank. Torpedo behind me now still heading roughly 320 and continue with the mission.
Old 03-18-06, 08:47 AM   #49
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Got my american tin can shot to smitheerens in the last scenario. Seems to me that tico sucked Shipwreck awfully easy with LWAMI installed. I thought it was meant to be more aggressive about shooting backup volleys..

That plus almost no warning of 3 Backfires and then nice bunch of AS-4s.. With Tico out of action! Ouch.
Old 03-18-06, 09:19 AM   #50
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleyman
Got my american tin can shot to smitheerens in the last scenario. Seems to me that tico sucked Shipwreck awfully easy with LWAMI installed. I thought it was meant to be more aggressive about shooting backup volleys..

That plus almost no warning of 3 Backfires and then nice bunch of AS-4s.. With Tico out of action! Ouch.
The last scenario is a tough one to play as the FFG-7. Especially if the 'Doolittle' strikes didn't take out the Soviet airfields
Old 03-18-06, 12:35 PM   #51
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Seems to me that tico sucked Shipwreck awfully easy with LWAMI installed. I thought it was meant to be more aggressive about shooting backup volleys..
Shipwrecks are tough nuts.

But not nearly as tough as when the AEGIS fire directors only see 10nm and they can only fire one missile at time.
Old 03-18-06, 08:47 PM   #52
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
The last scenario is a tough one to play as the FFG-7. Especially if the 'Doolittle' strikes didn't take out the Soviet airfields
But .. They .. Did? You mean those 3 Tu-22Ms were not supposed to be there??

Anyhow, bigger problem is that the bloody Tupolevs pretty much warped into you with no advance warning whatsoever. That's always sort of cheap. What's the CAP supposed to be doing? Impressing Iceland blond ladies?
Old 03-18-06, 10:04 PM   #53
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
But .. They .. Did? You mean those 3 Tu-22Ms were not supposed to be there??

Anyhow, bigger problem is that the bloody Tupolevs pretty much warped into you with no advance warning whatsoever. That's always sort of cheap. What's the CAP supposed to be doing? Impressing Iceland blond ladies?
No, I mean if the Doolittle strike had failed, you would see even MORE Backfires! :/\!!

I had to 'warp' the Backfires where I did because the AI isn't smart enough to know Shipwrecks can't fly through mountains. Thus, I have the Backfires 'popping up' over a ridgeline. Think of it as them having used terrain masking to sneak up on the invasion force.
Old 04-09-06, 02:58 AM   #54
el14
Bilge Rat

M'kay guys. I'm blind or sth like that, i can't find rsr campaign. Please help :]
Old 04-09-06, 08:58 AM   #55
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

I have temporarily pulled the RSR campaign (and all of my other DW missions) off of my site. Reason: They are being included as part of the 'extra content' of the Black Bean Games European release of Dangerous Waters.
Old 04-10-06, 04:57 PM   #56
Linton
Sea Lord

Bill,could you adapt this campaign for SC?
Old 04-11-06, 12:33 AM   #57
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwallis
Bill,could you adapt this campaign for SC?
-
Hmmm.. going backwards? Would have to eliminate the FFG, P-3 and H-60 playable scenarios. Also would be nice if there were an 'export' utility similar to DW's 'import', to convert _from_ DW to SC :hmm:
Old 04-12-06, 03:28 PM   #58
Linton
Sea Lord

Bill,obviously with a re-engineer to SC you would only be dealing with submarines,so that should cut down the work a bit.perhaps just using the mission location ,and objectives would be good enough.
Old 04-13-06, 11:33 PM   #59
Sgian Dubh
Officer

I realise that I overlook things sometimes, but I cannot find the RSR campaign on the downloads page.

I have looked through the list a number of times and I am just missing it I guess.

Edit: Having now looked up a few posts, I see why I can't find them on the downloads page. Bummer. I was looking forward to them and I had your other scenarios for SC.
Old 04-29-06, 09:43 AM   #60
429cj
Bilge Rat

Bill,
Any word on if/when you will reupload it? Having just read the book for the fifth time (one of my favorites) I had a hankering to load up all my sims, and seeing the forum for this campaign gave me such hope for some playable RSR bliss. Thanks.