SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-21, 09:51 AM   #1
lutz_no
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Bug? Nearby AI sub sinks enemy ship i was monitoring - i got the credit?

...and even worse - same sub sank the next ship in row, an american freighter, and i got the credit again!

This is early 1941 and germany is not in war with United States yet.

I will probably get prosecuted and shot when returning from this mission...

I expected this game to be smart enough to punish me for sinking neutral shipping - or am i wrong? Can i just sink everything that floats? Until now i have avoided firing at US/neutral shipping.

lutz_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 10:20 AM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutz_no View Post
...and even worse - same sub sank the next ship in row, an american freighter, and i got the credit again!

This is early 1941 and germany is not in war with United States yet.

I will probably get prosecuted and shot when returning from this mission...

I expected this game to be smart enough to punish me for sinking neutral shipping - or am i wrong? Can i just sink everything that floats? Until now i have avoided firing at US/neutral shipping.

As it stands right now in the current build, there is no penalty for sinking neutrals. You also do get credit for the AI subs’ sinkings. Those subs are dumb as rocks though, and they fire torpedoes like a machine gun, I hope that’s another thing they fix in the next patch.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 11:05 AM   #3
lutz_no
Swabbie

Thanx for the enlightening reply!

So my current solution is to avoid the AI subs until a new patch arrives, and see what's in the next fix.
Old 02-10-21, 11:30 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

That's how Uboat aces pumped up their tonnage scores! Occasionally in SH-V, I find a freighter or tanker already wallowing nearly awash in flames... and finish it off for the credit. War is hell, sink em all!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 02:24 PM   #5
Hartroff
Seaman

Downloads: 32

I have seen a flying uboat above Wilhelmshaven a few days ago. I was lucky because I was recording the game. Uboat was also making continuous vertical turnings during its fly.
Hartroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 02:30 PM   #6
lutz_no
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
That's how Uboat aces pumped up their tonnage scores! Occasionally in SH-V, I find a freighter or tanker already wallowing nearly awash in flames... and finish it off for the credit. War is hell, sink em all!
Gloves off then

Old 02-11-21, 01:08 AM   #7
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

by the game logic if you are in spawn distance of another u-boat you are "in command" of the "wolfpack" your group represents and as such it gives you the credit for the kill

as for sinking neutrals - i fall back on the prize regulations

(https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=219074)

Specifically the following provisions...

Quote:
ARTICLE VI
VESSELS AND GOODS SUBJECT TO CONFISCATION

Any goods stored as cargo, ballast or stored in the holds aboard an enemy vessel are subject to capture and confiscation.

Postal parcels which are deemed to contain no information of strategic value are not subject to confiscation unless their final destination is a port under blockade by Germany or its allies

Any goods belonging to the crew or passengers of a vessel which are clearly identified as goods intended for the personal use of the crew or passengers of an enemy vessel are to be considered free from risk of confiscation.

Neutral vessels sailing in convoy with enemy vessels are subject to boarding and confiscation of the aforementioned articles as described above.

Neutral vessels which passively resist stoppage and boarding are subject to boarding and confiscation of the aforementioned articles as described above.

Neutral vessels which violently resist stoppage and boarding are subject to boarding and confiscation of the aforementioned articles as described above.

Neutral vessels which intervene against your boarding action or intervene against your attacking of an enemy vessel are subject to boarding and confiscation of the aforementioned articles as described above.

Neutral vessels which are stopped and boarded who have no article of transfer aboard, or such article of transfer is inaccurate or incomplete are subject to confiscation of the aforementioned articles as described above.

Neutral vessels which are observed to be participating in blockade operations against Germany or its allies in concert with our enemies are subject to boarding and confiscation of the aforementioned articles as described above.

At the commander’s discretion, Neutral vessels may be attacked and sunk if:

1. The vessel is traveling in hostile convoy

2. The vessel resists violently against the U-boat

3. The vessel provides violent assistance to an enemy vessel to prevent the U-boat’s efforts against said enemy vessel

4. The vessel is unquestionably participating in blockade against Germany or her allies

Amendment – 28 SEP 1939 – by order of Der Führer vessels flagged as Russian, Italian, Japanese or Spanish which are stopped shall only be questioned on their cargo and destination. No other action is to be taken against such vessels.

or....

Quote:
ARTICLE VIII
BANNED GOODS

The following items and substances are considered banned goods; merchant vessels engaged in the carriage of these materials or with such materials visible on their decks, may be attacked without warning.

1. Weapons of any kind
2. Weapon parts or components
3. Weapon accessories
4. Ammunition
5. Ammunition components
6. Bombs or their components or accessories
7. Torpedoes or their components or accessories
8. Mines or their components or accessories
9. Projectiles intended for shooting or throwing by hand or by a mechanized source
10. Explosives in any form
11. Explosive detonators or any device manufactured as a component or accessory of detonators
12. Warships of any kind regardless of size or tonnage
13. Components meant for use in construction of war machines of any kind
14. Aircraft, aircraft components, accessories, parts or engines
15. Tanks, armored cars, militarized vehicles of any kind including their parts or accessories
16. Armor plating
17. Chemical weapons or components meant for the dispersal of such
18. Military clothing, uniforms, shoes, boots, hats etc
19. Military news manuscripts; or any signaling equipment used for military purposes
20. Chemicals or ingredients meant for use in the printing of military publications
21. Pack animals or riding animals, their equipment and appurtenances if for military purposes
22. Fuel oil, crude oil, lubricating oil, aviation gasoline
23. Gold, silver, cash and coins or any instrument used for settling debt of or to an enemy
24. Food, medicines or rations intended for use by the enemy
25. Any equipment, tools, or materials used to manufacture or otherwise produce or reproduce any the above articles

The attack can be made whether or not the intended destination of the vessel is in a neutral territory under the condition that these materials may be shipped by any other means from the neutral port by road, rail, air or any other method of transit to an ultimate final destination within enemy territory or currently held by the enemy.

Attack may be made without warning against a neutral vessel which was not previously carrying these materials but is subsequently engaged in the transfer of these materials onto its decks or into its holds from an enemy vessel.
is the neutral merchant armed? carrying trucks? tanks? etc? let her have it
Old 02-11-21, 10:08 AM   #8
lutz_no
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
by the game logic if you are in spawn distance of another u-boat you are "in command" of the "wolfpack" your group represents and as such it gives you the credit for the kill
I can certainly live with that explanation
I guess game developers must prioritize which scenarios in the game they spend a lot of time develop, and which to just make a fast solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
is the neutral merchant armed? carrying trucks? tanks? etc? let her have it
When thinking back on the events with the US ships, they where armed and/or in an enemy convoy most of the time.
Old 02-11-21, 10:32 AM   #9
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutz_no View Post
When thinking back on the events with the US ships, they where armed and/or in an enemy convoy most of the time.
Commanders descretion then i guess... however i assume most IRL uboat commanders avoided provoking neutral powers wherever possible.

on another note. if you have 4-5 ships in convoy together, the neturals are armed... they'll ignore you unless attacked. So you can surface and sink all their Tommy friends and they will be powerless to do anything about it
Old 02-12-21, 04:15 AM   #10
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I am curious - in real life, did the Kriegsmarine award credit to whichever U-Boat "last touched" a ship? So, for instance, one commander could torpedo a ship and leave it burned-out & abandoned, but someone else who sank it days later with a couple deck gun hits would get 100% of the tonnage? That seems unfair. I know some air forces divided credit for kills or awarded them to whoever did the most damage.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 01:31 PM   #11
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I am curious - in real life, did the Kriegsmarine award credit to whichever U-Boat "last touched" a ship? So, for instance, one commander could torpedo a ship and leave it burned-out & abandoned, but someone else who sank it days later with a couple deck gun hits would get 100% of the tonnage? That seems unfair. I know some air forces divided credit for kills or awarded them to whoever did the most damage.
Not sure. I imagine they shared the kill like fighter pilots?

but i do know the tonnage counts are somewhat innaccurate. We know there were accounts where a skipper engaged a merchant, slammed a torpedo or two into her side and she went to the brink of that point of no return and was reported sunk, but the crew managed to sail her into port heavily damaged and not actually sunk after all