SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-20, 04:13 AM   #1
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default British Town Class destroyer

While playing a bit with OM-Dark Waters I came across a British Clemson. At just a glance a lot of stuff looked wrong to me.

Leaving aside some low quality 3D work in some parts (as far as I know it's a stock ship), the British Clemsons went through a number of changes before they were considered operative by the Admiralty.

But the general lines of the ship are OK, so I decided to give it a refit taking things from here and there. I used a lot of stuff from The Frog's SH3 British destroyer series (weapons, searchlights, lookouts, radars, boats and davits), and a couple of things from other stock SH4 ships (anchors and Type 271 radar dome).

What I probably won't do is an Occlusion map. It takes too much work and clashes with my current philosophy of only doing easy jobs. Still I think this one represents better the British ships than the stock Clemson model.

Hopefully I'll have a test version very soon.
Old 08-06-20, 10:30 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ooo-oo-ooh! Nice! Am I remembering correctly, but did the Russians get some of their "Clemson Class" DD from the RN, as the RN were able to bring other, more "modern" vessels online? I see nine of them listed in Wikipedia, but there is no "historical lineage" that I can find as to when and why...

Here's HMS Upshur if you wanted to do further modifications to the 3D model;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Abel_P._Upshur

There is a pic of when she was RN, after the "long-range" conversion, with I assume, hedgehogs up front in place of the forward gun...

or HMS Churchill pre-mods
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_He...#HMS_Churchill

which went "Russian", and was sunk...

Gotta love those North Atlantic "measure" paint jobs.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 01:51 PM   #3
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yes, the model in the pics is the typical 1940 ship rushed into combat. I mainly used HMS Brighton as a basis for the model:

Some ships got more intensive refits, with a new bridge, like HMS Charlestown:

The Russian ships are included in the roster, but no paint jobs have been done. The original Clemson skin was a bit of a mess for me, and right now I have no intention to add an Occlusion map where camouflage patterns could be added. There 's only the basic T01 texture to use. Maybe later on if I find the will .
Old 08-06-20, 02:09 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
Yes, the model in the pics is the typical 1940 ship rushed into combat. I mainly used HMS Brighton as a basis for the model:

pic

Some ships got more intensive refits, with a new bridge, like HMS Charlestown:

pic

The Russian ships are included in the roster, but no paint jobs have been done. The original Clemson skin was a bit of a mess for me, and right now I have no intention to add an Occlusion map where camouflage patterns could be added. There 's only the basic T01 texture to use. Maybe later on if I find the will .
lol - maybe we can find someone who enjoys the "skinning" challenges that the warships present. I had a hankering a while back to do a proper "measure" for the Iowa Class BB - that is, until I started to attempt same... yeesh! trying to figure-out what goes where is this side of impossible, and then you need to skin the guns and other "attachments"... quite an undertaking.

Anticipating a "test version" to check things out, good sir!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 05:09 AM   #5
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here's a link to a test version:

DD Town Class TEST.7z

It's been created on the base of the stock v1.5 game. If you want to use it with Dark Waters or Op.Monsun you may have to change some sensors.

Last edited by JapLance; 08-25-20 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 02:38 AM   #6
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

This is the result of a few hours work tonight:

I arrived to the conclusion that it was easier applying a cheap Occlusion map than re-texturing the original model.

Still I think the ship looks too dark. It looks fine in S3D, but then in game looks darker. Not sure how to change that. I've tried different material attributes in S3D, I've tried making the textures brighter... nothing seems to make much difference .
Old 08-10-20, 11:16 AM   #7
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Close to finishing the ship. This weekend I did the split parts and solved a few issues with the reflective models.

Also did a couple of cheap skins.

Old 08-25-20, 04:39 AM   #8
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I sent the_frog a PM to get permission to use the parts I had used in the Town, but there's been no answer after 2 weeks.

I also noticed that he hasn't logged in to Subsim since 2018, so I'm afraid I will have to scratch this project.
Old 08-25-20, 04:44 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: mod @ a dead end..?? ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
I sent the_frog a PM to get permission to use the parts I had used in the Town, but there's been no answer after 2 weeks.

I also noticed that he hasn't logged in to Subsim since 2018, so I'm afraid I will have to scratch this project.
If not mistaken, if you've made reasonable efforts to get in touch with & get permission to utilize a mod or parts of a mod from another modder, then you should then be able to complete work you're doing on your mod... just ensure to include doing a read me, that credits that & any other modders work that is included in your mod.. can't recall where I saw that info at, but am sure someone else can point that out...

M. M.

Old 08-27-20, 04:44 PM   #10
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

So, is this mod dead ?
Such a pity

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 01:27 PM   #11
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have some good news for this long buried project.

After a long time, The_Frog answered to my PM asking for permission to use some of his stuff, so I think I will finally give this project the final push.

Don't expect anything spectacular. This is based on the SH4 Clemson, which has some important flaws, but still I think it's an improvement over the Town class in OM: Dark Waters. Modest improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

This is how it looks currently in my DW Museum: