SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-22, 12:11 PM   #1
Darthlucky
Medic

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default Error messages with GWX and LSH2020

So, my new laptop came in yesterday, and I was able to download both GWX and LSH2020 mods, but when I try to play both of them, I get error messages, the GWX one is some sort of weird error code, since my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, I had to use my Steam install of GWX

The LSH2020 issue is saying that it is failing to load the 3d engine, I'm assuming there are fixes for these, but my computer doesn't allow me to get the right resolution for LSH, and I don't know how to get into my driver/video card to see if I can adjust those settings. Many thanks if anyone can help me
Darthlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 03:00 PM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

"Cannot initialize 3D engine"

1. Change the Windows desktop resolution to 1024x768
2. Run SH3.exe to launch the game
3. In the Video settings menu, uncheck the full screen mode
4. Save the game settings and exit the game
5. Return the Windows desktop resolution to its normal value
6. Restart the game and it will appear in a 1024x768 window
Old 07-03-22, 04:00 PM   #3
Darthlucky
Medic

I followed those steps, and it is still giving me that error message about the 3d engine
Old 07-03-22, 04:05 PM   #4
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

I hope you have DirectX 9.0 installed
Old 07-03-22, 04:51 PM   #5
Darthlucky
Medic

I should, it's a brand new computer
Old 07-03-22, 04:58 PM   #6
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 428

How about the 4G patch?

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 07:48 PM   #7
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default try this

Right Click Desktop ... Select Display Settings ... Select Advanced Display Settings (near bottom) ... Select the Refresh Rate drop down arrow ... Select 60.000hz. Yours might say 59.940hz, or something like that, but Select 60.000hz. This worked for me. Let me know.
Old 07-03-22, 11:10 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
I hope you have DirectX 9.0 installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthlucky View Post
I should, it's a brand new computer
The new computer will not have the proper DirectX v9.0c library files that SH3 needs. If your SH3 install has a choice for DirectX 9 and the Codecs, install them. They do not (cannot) overwrite anything newer in the DirectX on the computer, it just adds to it. If you have a Steam version, it should install the necessary files for you without prompting. You do still want to avoid the Windows Program Files folders, and you do still want to use the 4gig patch, but you might be getting that "Cannot initialize 3D engine" error because of no DirectX v9 files.

If you do have the proper DirectX v9 files, then you might have to set the "Properties" on your SH3.exe file by selecting it in the game folder, right-clicking and choosing "Properties" from the bottom of that context menu. Make certain the "Read-only" Attribute is cleared on that first "General" tab, and then go to the "Compatibility" tab and set the "Compatibility Mode" to at least Windows 7 (I had to set my laptop to Windows XP), but also set the "Run this program as administrator". On my laptop, I have to click the "Disable full screen optimizations" and also click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, and change the resulting Window under the "Program DPI" section to "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." and set that drop-down box to "I open the program", which might not be needed on your computer (display dependent), but you will almost definitely need to set "High DPI scaling override" section at the bottom to "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and the drop down box to "Application". No two computers seem to be alike, and your mileage may vary... experimentation might be needed.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 12:07 AM   #9
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Darthlucky

4Gig Patch download Link below

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 08:11 AM   #10
Darthlucky
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The new computer will not have the proper DirectX v9.0c library files that SH3 needs. If your SH3 install has a choice for DirectX 9 and the Codecs, install them. They do not (cannot) overwrite anything newer in the DirectX on the computer, it just adds to it. If you have a Steam version, it should install the necessary files for you without prompting. You do still want to avoid the Windows Program Files folders, and you do still want to use the 4gig patch, but you might be getting that "Cannot initialize 3D engine" error because of no DirectX v9 files.

If you do have the proper DirectX v9 files, then you might have to set the "Properties" on your SH3.exe file by selecting it in the game folder, right-clicking and choosing "Properties" from the bottom of that context menu. Make certain the "Read-only" Attribute is cleared on that first "General" tab, and then go to the "Compatibility" tab and set the "Compatibility Mode" to at least Windows 7 (I had to set my laptop to Windows XP), but also set the "Run this program as administrator". On my laptop, I have to click the "Disable full screen optimizations" and also click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, and change the resulting Window under the "Program DPI" section to "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." and set that drop-down box to "I open the program", which might not be needed on your computer (display dependent), but you will almost definitely need to set "High DPI scaling override" section at the bottom to "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and the drop down box to "Application". No two computers seem to be alike, and your mileage may vary... experimentation might be needed.

Good info, thanks. I did see where people were having issues with this while using SH3 from steam, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so I'm going to dl from mediafire a new install of SH3, then change those settings as you suggest and we'll see what happens.
Old 07-04-22, 01:00 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you go to do a new install, you might want to use MultiSH3 and create a new Save folder of a different name. The game will use a folder "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH3" by default (computer and UserName dependent), but with MultiSH3, you can have it use most any 3-character name you desire, such as "GWX" or "LSH" or whatever you want to use to be able to remember and associate it with a particular mod / game combo.

Since your current install won't run at present, I would experiment with the Properties settings first, and see if you can get it to at least run. Then deal with the rest, one step at a time. Base any new install off of what you learn about your system. The only issue I have with a copied Steam install with GWX on my laptop is if I try to use certain WideScreen mods, then Steam will seemingly "block" its functionality, but if I use standard SH3 resolution, and do the Properties stuff, all is fine with the world. Another of my laptops had no issue. Other folks have no issue with the Widescreen mods either. Just make certain you are using the full, and proper Widescreen mod for GWX. Some of what look to be full mods, do not have the full mod set-up, and are basically "updates" instead.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 02:10 PM   #12
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

^^^^^

Great advice !!
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 03:20 PM   #13
Darthlucky
Medic

UPDATE: I uninstalled all mods and copies of SH3, and reinstalled the game using a non-Steam copy. Now when I go to play, it goes to the loading screen, gets about 90% of the way there, then CTD. What am I missing?
Old 07-04-22, 03:40 PM   #14
Darthlucky
Medic

Better UPDATE: GWX is now up and running, in compatability mode for Windows 7, no CTD. Now to get LSH working on another install lol, and then on to FotRS for SH4
Old 07-04-22, 03:48 PM   #15
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Darthlucky where is your new SH3 installed outside Program/Files x86

make a games folder on drive C:/ but outside of Program/Files X86 and place your downloaded SH3 Folder with all the game files into your newly created Games folder on drive C:/.
Then run the stock unmoded SH3 install and fireup a single player mission like happytime that then creates a SH3 Folder in your documents for all your career saves if all is well then mod SH3 as you see fit.

Direct x9 download link below

https://www.filehorse.com/download-directx-9/

ensure your GPU driver is up to date your new laptop may have been sat on a warehouse shelf 12 months plus
and new laptop Gpu's also have built in graphics that arn't as powerfull as the main Gpu there mainly used for just lite work to save battery life ensure that your SH3 install is running from your Gpu and not your windows graphics.

Last edited by blackswan40; 07-05-22 at 03:28 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote