SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-05, 03:56 AM   #121
SquidB
Engineer

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0

That sounds good, cant wait for the release.
SquidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 10:03 PM   #122
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

I have emailed the v1.03 distribution to Bill, it should be posted to subguru soon!

Here is the v1.03 addition to the readme, mostly from the above post.

Quote:
v1.03

Multipurpose Torpedo Balancing: (Thank you Bellman for raising this issue.)

ADCAP--Given 60kts max speed.

UGST--Given 27nm max range.

Wakehoming Torpedos--DB flags and mission priorities changed to limit use to identified
surface ships (to prevent AI from firing vs. submerged contacts, you may still set
the depth how you like and the torpedo will follow all wakes to target, regardless
of type).

Launched Anti-Torpedo CM's--effectiveness has been lowered from 50% to 33%.

Launched Anti-Missile CM's--effectivness raised from 20% to 25%.(Thank you Mau for
suggesting this.)

Missile Launch Warning--I have changed the readme to make it clear there is no TIW warning or any other kind of audio warning for underwater missile launches. (Thank you Bellman for finding this and Fish for confirming it over a LAN.)

MAD/SAD

MAD--sensors have had max detection depth reduced from -3000ft to a realistic -1000.ft

SAD--sensors have had max detection depth reduced from -3000ft to a realistic -750ft. Note: the only
difference between a MAD and SAD detection in the game is the depth at which they are
detected, so if I set the depths the same, the sensors would be exactly the same sensor,
as the platforms only vary in MAD characteristic, and have no separate SAD
characteristic).

AI MAD--AI platforms do not have a separate MAD/SAD detector. Previously, they had been set
to detect from 0 to -3000ft. In order to permit realistic evasion tactics from MAD equipped AI air platforms, I have set the AI MAD sensor to have SAD chacteristics (have fun under those funky sounding cargo ships!)

SS-N-27--Two stage BETA mod has been temporarily removed for refinement. The original 27 ASW and 54E have been restored in the DB and I have included the stock missileskim54E.txt
doctrine file, so that when you reinstall the mod, you don't have to change anything
else, it will just work as it should. You can delete or keep the other doctrine files
associated with the BETA mod, they are completely dissabled now.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
David
Old 08-30-05, 10:24 PM   #123
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Bellman,

Regarding the wakehoming issue.

SCS has moddeled object interaction with the environment in such a way that all things leave a wake that is independant of surface cavitation. All wakehoming torpedos home in on that environmental disturbance, not a return from the target itself, so the torpedo seeker itself ignors db flags. However, the AI will not fire this weapon at subs as I've set the flags (the purpose of changing it), nor can the user from the Nav map or firecontrol, unless you reclassify the target or use a snapshot. The fact that you can still set the run depth of the torpedos, combined with the fact that subs do leave a wake at depth, means you can try to use this as an ASW weapon, but the in-game feel would be the same as in real-life, using the weapon in a way it wasn't intended.

If you want to use the wakehomers against subs, I recommend it specifically for littoral contexts and at short-medium range mixed with active/passive homing torpedos.
Old 08-30-05, 11:17 PM   #124
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Thanks LW - I was just seeking claryfication which you have kindly supplied.

For SP., given the AI limits with the 65, realism dictates strict use only for wakehoming v surfs.

I am not able to MP at pres., but knowing the crafty opposition out there, it is as well to be prapared for
'interesting combos.' ............ ............. :hmm:.............. :|\

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-05, 01:26 AM   #125
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I have had to change the SAD min back to -50ft, as the reduced level meant that ships with deep drafts displayed on the sensor.

The corrected version has been sent to Bill.
Old 08-31-05, 03:57 PM   #126
Adm. Ahab
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Additional Edit: I think we can change the submarine passive sound levels too.

Was this included in the release? I didn't see anything listed in the readme.
Adm. Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-05, 05:40 AM   #127
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Version 1.03 has just been posted to my site. Enjoy!
Old 09-01-05, 08:32 AM   #128
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Thanks Bill.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-05, 08:50 AM   #129
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Thanks Bill!
Old 09-01-05, 09:23 AM   #130
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Adm. Ahab,

No we have not changed the passive sound levels for subs in this version.

Next version, which will probably come out in a few weeks, maybe not until after the next patch, depending on whether there is news or not, will have some more difficult modeling in it such as torpedo seeker cones, more advanced missile doctrine, a restored and correctly functioning SS-N-27 ASM, the submarine sound level fix, and a few more things.

We have put out this stable version with the most well-tested and popular fixes so we can take the time to do these more complex tasks in a thorough way, and fully test everything before we release it to you.
Old 09-01-05, 11:03 AM   #131
Adm. Ahab
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
Adm. Ahab,

No we have not changed the passive sound levels for subs in this version.

Next version, which will probably come out in a few weeks, maybe not until after the next patch, depending on whether there is news or not, will have some more difficult modeling in it such as torpedo seeker cones, more advanced missile doctrine, a restored and correctly functioning SS-N-27 ASM, the submarine sound level fix, and a few more things.

We have put out this stable version with the most well-tested and popular fixes so we can take the time to do these more complex tasks in a thorough way, and fully test everything before we release it to you.
Thank you.
Adm. Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-05, 03:04 PM   #132
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Yes, the Kilo sonar issue can be addressed in the database.

The database workaround:

Start out by tuning the hull array to suitable detection ranges, so that it picks up a narrow band contact at a desirable range. Since it's broadband works fine relative to it's narrow band, it can be left alone after this point. Now on to the problematic cylindrical array.

In real terms, the problem with the array is that its broadband is much more sensitive than it's narrow band. If it displayed narrowband contacts before the broadband, even if it was wildly far reaching, then it's sensitivity could simply be lowered and everything would be fine. However, this is not the case.

So, the cylindrical BB has to take a cue from the Hull sonar. That is to say, set the maximum detection range of the cylindrical array at a range where it is long after low narrow band detection by the hull array. This would make it not so useful, but then again, I think that is what we are going for.

What do you guys want?
Old 09-01-05, 03:17 PM   #133
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

It seems the hull sonar shares the same BB properties as the cylindrical after all.

Hmm, this makes any database solution amount to making the Kilo very deaf, but the same problem would exist.

Personally I think it is better to wait for an official fix, but I will try a couple of things.

Edit: Yes, I think this falls under the catagory of messing around with stuff for me rather than fixing it. Unless Amizaur can think of something, then I think this will have to wait for an official fix.

Oh well, DW rocks!
Old 09-01-05, 04:13 PM   #134
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Yea you can't fix the kilo bug by altering the DB its a bug in the code.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-05, 04:14 PM   #135
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Thanks TLAM.

A few hours ago I should have guessed that...

I want some pizza.