SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-19, 03:11 AM   #1
blubalou
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Tips for AA Accuracy?

I just had an engagement with a sea plane that made 6 or 7 passes until I finally ran out of ammo. I got some smoke and flames after the first or second pass, but then after that, either I missed with over 500 rounds, or the plane was swiss cheese but still kept flying. (Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the problem was the former.)

I know I need to lead my shots.... and that gravity is working against me, but I feel like I need more than just a little practice; it seems more like there is something fundamentally wrong with my technique such that I could use some lessons or coaching. Anyone have some sage advice that can turn me into a dead-eye?

BTW, I'm running TWOwTW and RSRD.

Thanks!

-blu
blubalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 04:05 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Letting our crew doing the job is perfect...they know how to aim far better than us
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 08:22 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You could also experiment with your technique, if you are insistent upon doing it yourself, by using the "SS02 Artillery" mission file in the Submarine School. It displays on the Submarine School list as "Artillery Training", and puts you on the surface near some merchant vessels that shoot at you, and then some planes that attempt to bomb and strafe you. It is much easier to get through that in Stock than TMO, which is easier to do than RFB, since TMO adds difficulty with a bumped-up AI, and RFB adds "weakness" to your sub's 'armor' level, so you'll be sunk rather quickly (even in wTw) if you and your crew aren't on their toes... and it will give you an idea of what to expect in a career if you don't avoid surface engagements of all kinds - especially with airplanes.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 12:17 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

FWIW, I avoid airplanes, diving when they're spotted..

• My sub is a relatively large, slow and easy target for them, while they are at best a challenge for me to hit.
  • I may be paranoid, but it seems the game AI directs the A/C to radio my position to IJN HQ and soon I have more company than I want. Don't see an upside to giving them the opportunity
The only thing I use the AA for is sinking sampans and fishing boats with the 40mm Bofors being very effective for the task.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 09:52 PM   #5
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Even with elite crews manning 2x 40mm, we've never downed an incoming Zero and very few of anything else on their inbound runs, even on one memorable jag where we shot down 25-30 aircraft following the Battle of the Philippine Sea.

For that matter, how can we get the 5" crews to engage with their weapons? It seems to be only a manual option, so I use the AA shells as a reserve for surface attack.

ETA: apparently the "Target Incoming Aircraft" isn't to save ammo, but necessary for the crew to really figure out you what you want. They'd always fired before, but hitting that command has resulted in several inbound Zero kills.

Go figure.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 11-12-19 at 07:32 PM. Reason: last paragraph
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 12:37 AM   #6
blubalou
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

Thanks all for the responses.

I was thinking about it today (while at work) and the thought occurred to me that in RL (or if I take off the training wheels) I should be avoiding aircraft at all costs rather than attempting to dog fight with a submarine, so I will consider just taking that advice and returning my focus to shooting ships.

As for the training mission. The first time I tried that, I had some success (and considerable fun) taking out aircraft. But then I was still running stock. I tried it again a few minutes ago and found that while the planes are not terribly accurate with TMOwTW, they do seem to absorb a lot more bullets. I splashed a couple of Zeros, but had no more luck taking down a sea plane than I did in career mode.
blubalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 11:05 AM   #7
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I find it relatively easy if firing ahead of the aircraft. And don't bother at long range. But if I schedule crew to man AA and fire at will, my success rate increases quite a bit.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 11:22 AM   #8
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubalou View Post
Thanks all for the responses.

I was thinking about it today (while at work) and the thought occurred to me that in RL (or if I take off the training wheels) I should be avoiding aircraft at all costs rather than attempting to dog fight with a submarine, so I will consider just taking that advice and returning my focus to shooting ships.
I think the recently found USS Graybill is a testimony to the "Avoid Planes at all costs" approach. Apparently, according to Japanese sources, she was attacked and bombed by Japanese aircraft, resulting in her being sunk and loss of all crew (I think). Better to dive if you can and go deep. Shooting back is a last resort if you are unable to dive, in my opinion.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 02:20 PM   #9
Red Devil
The Old Man

You mean USS Grayback

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50380521
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 11-12-19, 03:39 PM   #10
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Slightly O/T but early in the war, airplanes can sneak up on you and require immediate action to engage or submerge, making vigilance an important element...

Later in the war with improving radar technology, it becomes much easier to detect and avoid them (or take them on if that's your thing).
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 04:16 PM   #11
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Yes. I was going from my polluted memory.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 05:29 PM   #12
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Yes. I was going from my polluted memory.
at least yours is polluted, I cant even find mine

>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk