SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-29-12, 02:20 PM   #61
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Autocrats,
No.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 02:48 PM   #62
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
No.
I knew it!

Marie Curie

Gerald is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 03:02 PM   #63
DMCCC
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
In all realism, if something were to happen in real life, would multiple officers onboard have to "agree" for a lack of better words.?

One man is never given such a decision, it makes no sense. Also the 2 key stuff we see in movies, is that real too?

I am interested on how a launch would be initiated on a real boomer.
IIRC, the CO, XO and two other officers must agree for a launch to happen.

I think there are 4 sets of keys which are needed to launch the Trident SLBMs on a boomer.

There are the 24 EBW firing unit keys locked inside the a safe in the captain's stateroom. They for the gas generators on each missile tube.

Then there is the Tactical Mode key and tactical firing trigger which are both in the Missile Control Center.

And lastly there is the Captain's Indicator Panel key which is locked in a safe that nobody on the boat knows the combination to. It comes in as the last part of the EAM.

The tactical firing trigger is not a key, it pistol grip which is pained red. The Weapons Officer squeezes it when the time comes to launch.

Can anyone who served on a boomer confirm this?

Last edited by DMCCC; 09-29-12 at 03:16 PM.
DMCCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 04:24 PM   #64
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCCC View Post
Can anyone who served on a boomer confirm this?
Yep! Me, but you sound like you know more than I do due to my 41 years of being on my last patrol.

Speaking of my last patrol (that's what I named my submarine movie by the way) the captain and the XO both had to wear side arms after the message was intercepted.

The captain speaking in real life on the 1mc:

"We have just recieved a message from the President of the United States to launch missiles"

"Now man battle stations missile"

The message would be sent by the joint chiefs of staff through Colorado whatever they call it warfare center. The message would be sent coded in a regular UP/AP news release. Surely they don't do it the same way 41 years later, but that's how they did it then, plus a whole lot of bells would go off in radio which shared our same false overhead.

Sometimes (not always) but sometimes the captain would say this is a drill and sometimes he wouldn't. The other sonarmen that always got there late fresh from their six on twelve off routine would always ask, Is this a drill"?

Then we would all moan and groan and act like we only had 15 minutes left to live after being back tracked by Russian intelligence spy sat's in the sky. We could only make 25 kts an hour in those days and if anyone was looking for our signature on sonar we would stand out very clearly to an enemy sub looking for us.

Yes siree those were the days ...

Speaking about last resort however I really liked it ... i liked the seal team guy on the nato island doing his Clint Eastwood number on the local island sheriff.

The acting of Captain Chaplin, I think someone called him Andre, was most excellant. He made me sober too with a missile sent to Washington, DC, but made it land 200 miles off shore. bet that would piss off a couple of lobster fisherman.

I have it on my dish Hopper to record every thursday night as I watch NFL Thursday night football with the real offical's now.
Old 09-30-12, 12:22 PM   #65
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyg00 View Post
EPIC FAIL.

LOL a bubblehead would say that!

If I took the show as factual including military protocol, sub details internally and so many other things, then I would agree with you. This cannot happen as portrayed in this show...

However..... as entertainment and for people who really do not know the nuance as you and I do, they did a pretty good job especially considering they have NO access to Naval personnel, equipment nor protocols.

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 12:26 PM   #66
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
No, she wanted to watch it, but I turned it off after 30 seconds.

Keep things in perspective... this is entertainment not fact and I am assuming more people know that. As entertainment and a reader of Clancy, Brown and others, I liked the story.

If I look at it critically as a Navy man then I would agree with you but I am not doing that. I like a good story.. and this show has the start of one that hopefully does not go off into some weird screwed up alien supernatural idiotic and mindless direction.

Malakie

"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Old 09-30-12, 12:32 PM   #67
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue View Post
Yep! Me, but you sound like you know more than I do due to my 41 years of being on my last patrol.

Speaking of my last patrol (that's what I named my submarine movie by the way) the captain and the XO both had to wear side arms after the message was intercepted.

The captain speaking in real life on the 1mc:

"We have just recieved a message from the President of the United States to launch missiles"

"Now man battle stations missile"

The message would be sent by the joint chiefs of staff through Colorado whatever they call it warfare center. The message would be sent coded in a regular UP/AP news release. Surely they don't do it the same way 41 years later, but that's how they did it then, plus a whole lot of bells would go off in radio which shared our same false overhead.

Sometimes (not always) but sometimes the captain would say this is a drill and sometimes he wouldn't. The other sonarmen that always got there late fresh from their six on twelve off routine would always ask, Is this a drill"?

Then we would all moan and groan and act like we only had 15 minutes left to live after being back tracked by Russian intelligence spy sat's in the sky. We could only make 25 kts an hour in those days and if anyone was looking for our signature on sonar we would stand out very clearly to an enemy sub looking for us.

Yes siree those were the days ...

Speaking about last resort however I really liked it ... i liked the seal team guy on the nato island doing his Clint Eastwood number on the local island sheriff.

The acting of Captain Chaplin, I think someone called him Andre, was most excellant. He made me sober too with a missile sent to Washington, DC, but made it land 200 miles off shore. bet that would piss off a couple of lobster fisherman.

I have it on my dish Hopper to record every thursday night as I watch NFL Thursday night football with the real offical's now.

Umm I hate to do this but you need to be careful what you write if indeed you (and the person you replied to did serve on a boomer(s)...

I do not know if you are still in the Navy but disclosure of details such as that poster wrote and you replied to are highly classified... you should know that. Even if you are now out of the Navy your oath and security restrictions still apply.

I do not mean to come across as an ass.. just wanted to remind you of this because I know what it is like to get caught up in conversation and let things come out you would normally not do.

Remember that intelligence agencies are not against trolling places like this for information...

Hope you take this message as intended and not a personal slight.. not intended as such.. just a friendly reminder one Navy man to another..

Malakie

Old 09-30-12, 08:59 PM   #68
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Keep things in perspective... this is entertainment not fact and I am assuming more people know that. As entertainment and a reader of Clancy, Brown and others, I liked the story. If I look at it critically as a Navy man then I would agree with you but I am not doing that. I like a good story.. and this show has the start of one that hopefully does not go off into some weird screwed up alien supernatural idiotic and mindless direction.
Well said. If you watch this expecting "Das Boot", you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you watch it with some suspension of disbelief, it's actually pretty decent. I can forgive the factual goofs, such as drinking/having alcohol on board, saluting without covers, as they do not take away from the overall plot. As a TV drama, it's pretty good. As a documentary of life in the fleet, not so much.

That said, it's certainly better than "Battleship".
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 09:57 PM   #69
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai View Post
Well said. If you watch this expecting "Das Boot", you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you watch it with some suspension of disbelief, it's actually pretty decent. I can forgive the factual goofs, such as drinking/having alcohol on board, saluting without covers, as they do not take away from the overall plot. As a TV drama, it's pretty good. As a documentary of life in the fleet, not so much.

That said, it's certainly better than "Battleship".

Had to laugh... I liked 'Battleship'! Maybe because I am a destroyer man (Tin Can Sailor). The only part I did not like was that once they were fired upon all three Arleigh Burkes did not let loose with everything they had including harps, torps, bow and stern guns, SM2's and deck guns. I mean it should have been pretty dam obvious those ships were not from our planet once the first hit took place.

(BTW, Yes I know one was a Jap ship however that Jap ship is basically a 'copy' of the United States Arleigh Burke class.)

In this TV show with the Sub, at first I could not remember the alcohol part you mentioned but then I remembered the drink with the Captain... That actually is not necessarily wrong in the portrayal.. First I have seen instances where a hidden bottle come out for strictly "medicinal purposes' you see..

On top of that however, I had occasion to be on board a U.S. Navy warship at sea where we stopped in the middle of the ocean, had a cookout AND each crewman had and received an allotment of 2 beers to drink.. those not on duty of course.

So special circumstances do allow for it.. just not like on Brit ships etc where they actually have a pub on board of a sorts.

Malakie

Old 10-03-12, 11:49 AM   #70
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Umm I hate to do this but you need to be careful what you write if indeed you (and the person you replied to did serve on a boomer(s)...

I do not know if you are still in the Navy but disclosure of details such as that poster wrote and you replied to are highly classified... you should know that. Even if you are now out of the Navy your oath and security restrictions still apply.

I do not mean to come across as an ass.. just wanted to remind you of this because I know what it is like to get caught up in conversation and let things come out you would normally not do.

Remember that intelligence agencies are not against trolling places like this for information...

Hope you take this message as intended and not a personal slight.. not intended as such.. just a friendly reminder one Navy man to another..
You need to understand the math of 41 years son ... The years I served ranged 1962-1971 which equals in WWII years from when I served to today would be 1900 to 1941.

The US Navy has changed since then and will continue to change for the better.

No you didn't slight me ... notice the other poster only posted once and was more than likley fishing for information.

by the way I was 10 miles off kamchatka peninsula on a diesel submarine November 1963 when President Kenendy died ...
we thought we were going to war then and I still think we are going to go to war today ...
it's just a matter of time on when.

Nope you didn't slight this old salt ... you just pissed me off thats all
Old 10-03-12, 01:42 PM   #71
Teh_Diplomat
Helmsman

Downloads: 2

I watched this last night, and I must say this is the reason why premium cables shows (Showtime/HBO/AMC) have been winning Emmy's and creating fantastic shows that keep you hooked.

I felt like I was watching the season ender, not the opening season.

Everything in the first episode felt so crammed together. The brief news blurb on the President being under impeachment (why?/howcome?) The calls for nukes to be launched right after the break(wait I get to know the crew only 10 mins and now **** hits the fan?), the prototype on the Sub and the lady who created it(why was it put on the that sub, could we perchance explore that a little deeper instead of rushing on to the NATO forward command site?

They have a lot of potential in terms of understanding how to that sub ended up where it did, but it felt rushed, as if it had to show something crazy before every commercial break.

I feel this was a good plot, ruined by executives because any conspiracy theory show/ especially with false flags, and suchnot would be far better drawn out and explain everything whilst suspense ensues.

In a lot of ways this show reminds me of Prison Break, in the sense that once they resolve the key issue what else is left for the show? Once they stand down or are granted alysum that is; much in the same way that once you break out of prison how much longer can the show go on and retain some quality?

/rant
GWX 2.1 w/ SH3 Cmd + OLC2
Teh_Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 06:56 PM   #72
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue View Post
You need to understand the math of 41 years son ... The years I served ranged 1962-1971 which equals in WWII years from when I served to today would be 1900 to 1941.

The US Navy has changed since then and will continue to change for the better.

No you didn't slight me ... notice the other poster only posted once and was more than likley fishing for information.

by the way I was 10 miles off kamchatka peninsula on a diesel submarine November 1963 when President Kenendy died ...
we thought we were going to war then and I still think we are going to go to war today ...
it's just a matter of time on when.

Nope you didn't slight this old salt ... you just pissed me off thats all

LOL at 49 years old, being called 'Son' made me laugh.. I am glad you understood and took what I was saying in the way it was meant! And you are correct.... I noticed too that other guy did not say much more and has gone silent now regarding this.

Did not me to piss you off though!

Malakie

Old 10-04-12, 02:37 PM   #73
SimHq Tom Cofield
Commander

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Diplomat View Post
I watched this last night, and I must say this is the reason why premium cables shows (Showtime/HBO/AMC) have been winning Emmy's and creating fantastic shows that keep you hooked.

I felt like I was watching the season ender, not the opening season.

Everything in the first episode felt so crammed together. The brief news blurb on the President being under impeachment (why?/howcome?) The calls for nukes to be launched right after the break(wait I get to know the crew only 10 mins and now **** hits the fan?), the prototype on the Sub and the lady who created it(why was it put on the that sub, could we perchance explore that a little deeper instead of rushing on to the NATO forward command site?

They have a lot of potential in terms of understanding how to that sub ended up where it did, but it felt rushed, as if it had to show something crazy before every commercial break.

I feel this was a good plot, ruined by executives because any conspiracy theory show/ especially with false flags, and suchnot would be far better drawn out and explain everything whilst suspense ensues.

In a lot of ways this show reminds me of Prison Break, in the sense that once they resolve the key issue what else is left for the show? Once they stand down or are granted alysum that is; much in the same way that once you break out of prison how much longer can the show go on and retain some quality?

/rant
I saw it, it was OK. I had to suspend disbelief but I can do that. I have to othewise I will rip apart any medical or military movie I watch.

One thing I don't get is why they tried to cram so much into one hour. This 'first' hour could have easily gone 2-3 episodes and probably would have gotten the show off to a better feel. Geez, at sea, ordered to fire, question order, get relieved, get shot at, get damaged, get away to some island, take over the island, watch as the US nukes Pakistan, go threaten the US, then fire a nuke at Washington that flies over the city to fry the QE3 in the middle of the Atlantic. There could have been an entire season in just the first hour of the thing but they had to shove all of this down our throat, including a side plot with some defense contractors and some 'secret' device on the sub. Have I got it all there yet? Nope, there is some 'secret' aboard the boat that has some crew members trying to sabotage the boat, the hot female on the boat that you know will be banging the XO eventually because there HAS to be sexual tension on the boat.

Factual innacuracies are expected, I seriously doubt the Navy Department is just going to let a bunch of actors hang out on a boomer for a month so that they can figure out the exact launch sequence or all protocols. Besides being a breach of national security it would take a boomer out of service for the sake of a stupid TV show. But this thing must have been sponsored by the National Association of Attention Deficit Disorder members because it bounces all over the place and doesn't settle down long enough for the average person to figure out. Take a leak and you are confused. Not good for the first of what they hope is a successful series.
cofster1@simhq.com
SimHq Tom Cofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 06:58 PM   #74
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimHq Tom Cofield View Post
I saw it, it was OK. I had to suspend disbelief but I can do that. I have to othewise I will rip apart any medical or military movie I watch.

One thing I don't get is why they tried to cram so much into one hour. This 'first' hour could have easily gone 2-3 episodes and probably would have gotten the show off to a better feel. Geez, at sea, ordered to fire, question order, get relieved, get shot at, get damaged, get away to some island, take over the island, watch as the US nukes Pakistan, go threaten the US, then fire a nuke at Washington that flies over the city to fry the QE3 in the middle of the Atlantic. There could have been an entire season in just the first hour of the thing but they had to shove all of this down our throat, including a side plot with some defense contractors and some 'secret' device on the sub. Have I got it all there yet? Nope, there is some 'secret' aboard the boat that has some crew members trying to sabotage the boat, the hot female on the boat that you know will be banging the XO eventually because there HAS to be sexual tension on the boat.

Factual innacuracies are expected, I seriously doubt the Navy Department is just going to let a bunch of actors hang out on a boomer for a month so that they can figure out the exact launch sequence or all protocols. Besides being a breach of national security it would take a boomer out of service for the sake of a stupid TV show. But this thing must have been sponsored by the National Association of Attention Deficit Disorder members because it bounces all over the place and doesn't settle down long enough for the average person to figure out. Take a leak and you are confused. Not good for the first of what they hope is a successful series.

I think you pretty well summed it up completely!

New episode tonight so we shall see what it brings..

Malakie

Old 10-04-12, 09:48 PM   #75
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

Whereas I was critical of the first episode, I felt the second episode was superb. Lots of action, suspense and drama. Loved the dialogue between the CO and the COB, and the scene where the XO spoke with the CO inside his stateroom. The gunplay was decent for a TV show too. Looks like they're correcting their mistakes here; can't wait for the next episode!
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote