SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-08, 03:11 PM   #1
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 1MC Schematics???

Does anyone have or know where to find copies of schemtaics for the 1MC and alarm system? We know that we need to re-attach the wires in the main switch box (they were cut), but it would also be nice to know what circuit panels/fuse boxes that it runs through.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 03:45 PM   #2
Donner
Officer

Downloads: 113

I really don't know if this will help or not.

You can find the primary instruction training manuals for the fleet type submarine online at maritime.org. Here is the link to NavPers 16162 Submarine Electrical Installations on that site. http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/elect/index.htm

Or you can purchase a CD of this manual (and others) in PDF form here...http://www.history-on-cdrom.com/id41.htm

Old 01-09-08, 04:40 PM   #3
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Yeah, we're familiar with that site/book. Chapter 16 is too general for what we're trying to figure out.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-09-08, 05:49 PM   #4
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Downloads: 9

I know for sure that the blueprints for all the systems on the Batfish are at the Batfish museum, I recall seeing a 1mc blueprint the last time I looked through them in Nov. Just ask Rick where they are.

U.S.S. Batfish "The champion Submarine-killing sub of WWII"
Official tonnage: 12,332
Sank 3 subs in 3 days
shoot-kill-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 06:03 PM   #5
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Cool. I'll ask him this weekend. I'm half tempted to bring my soldering gun and wire stripper with me and at least reconnect the cut wires.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-09-08, 06:07 PM   #6
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Go ahead Rick wont mind as long as you ask him.

Sank 3 subs in 3 days
Old 01-09-08, 08:05 PM   #7
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot-kill-win
I know for sure that the blueprints for all the systems on the Batfish are at the Batfish museum, I recall seeing a 1mc blueprint the last time I looked through them in Nov. Just ask Rick where they are.

I went through the Batfish (a self-guided tour) when I was in Muskogee once (don't ask me why I was there ). While in the maneuvering room, I opened up one of the bench lockers out of curiosity and was surprised to find a thick stack of blueprints for the electrical system. I could have easily walked off with some souveniers; fortunately, I'm an honest fellow.

Old 01-09-08, 10:52 PM   #8
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

I'll mention it to Rick (museum curator). Although, you have to get past the cashier with the blue prints, someone could easily toss them over the fence into the parking lot and retrieve them on the other side. Thanks, Bill.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-09-08, 11:29 PM   #9
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Over the summer, Rick and I went through the Maneuvering room alot, and Rick and I even tried to get down in the motor room -underneath the maneuvering room- which involves moving the bench seats, and there were no blueprints around. For now I think all the Blueprints are in the office.
But it is good that you are checking with Rick.

Sank 3 subs in 3 days
Old 01-10-08, 08:25 AM   #10
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

In the pump room under the con we were opening storage cabinets to see what was left behind and there were random pump parts, but nothing to brag about. One of the pumps was partially cannibalized, but I was surprised to see most of the equipment still intact.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 11:42 AM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

How is week to week happenings handled at the Batfish? Her papers and achrives are kept were? At the Torsk, all paperwork, old photos and achrives are kept under lock and key, forward battery.

Also, all members are part of a forum set up just for the Torsk. It is for general use and also to post how many man hours were spent for the week and what was done by each. This information is collected by one person via email. This information is logged and used later on down the road when we approach the city of Baltimore when we need cash. Basically it shows a general interest in keeping up with the Torsk. We offer up the total man hours spent for the year. It is good bargaining chip for things we need.

The small hallway between manuevering and the aft engineroom there should be a hatch to get down below maneuvering. Here you can access the motors that are attached to the props and also look inside the sight glass at the brushes for the motors. It is a tight fit! Wanna have some fun, try to squeeze between the diesels and the outer hull. Watch you head!!! This is the place were you can find some old artifacts also. Great additions to her history.
Old 01-10-08, 12:05 PM   #12
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

I was in the pump room and lower engine room (I forget whether fore or aft). I know which hatch that you speak of and I'll have to make it a point to look around down there. We're allowed to go just about anywhere as long as we're not a detriment to ourselves or the boat.

Our battery compartments have some stuff stored in them, but I was surprised at how big they are. I think you could hold an arena football game in there.

As for logging hours, Rick is working out those bugs. We're starting to keep track of how much money we raise for her restoration. They cut down a bunch of brush and trees around the memorial property so that she is a lot more visible to the highway traffic nearby. We're hoping that it attracts more attention and revenue this way.

As far as regular maintenace goes, I think it's only a few people that work on her on a regular basis. My hopeful attempt at restoring the 1MC system will be my first real maintenance activity. The question in my mind is how old is the equipment? She was decommissioned in 1969 and as much as I like original equipment, solid state electronics are a lot easier to work on/with. I'm guessing that it will be a 1950's or 60's box. The biggest concern is what condition the capacitors are in. Old capaictors tend to dry rot and crumble. This would require removing the circuit boards and soldering on new capacitors. The other trick is figuring out where the 1MC gets its power from and re-energizing those circuits. Do you know if it runs through the huge circuit breaker panel in the con near the helm or does it go to a small fuse box?
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-10-08, 12:26 PM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I will not be much help with the electrical things. I do not get into this area much. We have a few Electrican Mates aboard who do these things. I stay out of their way. I'm always afraid to touch these things and watch them fry. I can always inquire for you about it if you like. Give me a list of specific questions about the piece you are working on and it will inquire.
Old 01-10-08, 12:32 PM   #14
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
I'll mention it to Rick (museum curator). Although, you have to get past the cashier with the blue prints, someone could easily toss them over the fence into the parking lot and retrieve them on the other side. Thanks, Bill.

I should have mentioned, my story was from more than 10-years ago, and I did mention my find to the cashier. I'm not surprised that they would have been moved since then.

Old 01-10-08, 01:13 PM   #15
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I should have mentioned, my story was from more than 10-years ago, and I did mention my find to the cashier. I'm not surprised that they would have been moved since then.
Rick thinks that everything has been moved to a storage room, but he will double check and he appreciates the heads up.
www.ussbatfish.com