SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-19, 09:55 AM   #31
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
If you mean me, that post was in response to the assertion in #25, not a renewed complaint.

Of course, if accuracy were truly an issue, I wouldn't have chosen the name Mios, as that base in SH4 is over a thousand km west/NW of where it really was. It's very convenient though, as long as you realize the subchaser patrolling just offshore isn't there for your benefit.
Not aimed at anyone, just a general comment
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 12:31 PM   #32
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's the one wrinkle here. Don't be seen! If you're seen these Japanese planes talk like a bunch of schoolgirls inviting their friends to the party. You're the cake and ice cream. This can continue for two or three days after being sighted. In TC when you see a plane you're most likely seen, bringing on the party.:/ For an example, see my old video on Aircraft Avoidance in SH4

Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 09:04 AM   #33
Red Devil
The Old Man

Hey Rock - what map version is/was that? Places actually have labels on!! Something I have always wanted and hated that I do not. eg: radio report - IJN near 'a place' which means I have to go to google earth to find out where it is - sort of.

On same topic I wish someone would fix something that has been broken since day one of the sim - the name of New Guinea. Only ONE E.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-08-19, 10:36 AM   #34
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
On same topic I wish someone would fix something that has been broken since day one of the sim - the name of New Guinea. Only ONE E.
someone did a mod that fixes the map names, there are far more typos then most people notice.

find that mod, open it and see what files it contains. those are the files that need modding to fix the map names so you can use that mod or just fix it yourself
Old 07-08-19, 11:09 AM   #35
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It is the "Campaign_NMS.mis" file in the "Data / Campaigns / Campaign" folder that "calls" dds files in the "Data / Terrain / LocationMaps" folder. In this particular instance, the name of the dds file is "NewGuineea.dds", which in FotRSU will display the text "New Guinea" on the NavMap. That would be the only file that would need to be altered. Probably the easiest way to do that is to grab the FotRSU mod and copy that dds file out of it over into the game folder that you usually play.

If you want more names on the NavMap, you could try what KaleunMarco and I have been working on with "RFB_LocNames.7z", which is JSGME compliant, and will overwrite the Campaign_NMS.mis file and the LocationMaps folder contents of any mod or Stock. It was written specifically for KaleunMarco's RFBv2 install, but should work on top of any mod. We are not at an "official release" stage yet, but if you want to try it out, and PM me any issues you have with it - have at it... All typos might not be fixed...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 01:40 PM   #36
Red Devil
The Old Man

Good, thanbks but one question, whats a FOTrsu ?
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-08-19, 02:39 PM   #37
propbeanie

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mod, based on FOTRS from AOTD_MadMax. Click on the image to the left in my signature, and it will take you to the first page of the thread where the download link is.

Old 07-09-19, 06:05 AM   #38
Red Devil
The Old Man

danke schon. I am going to remove all mods and then jsgme it into sim, I want to see it without anything else added.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-09-19, 06:37 AM   #39
propbeanie

If you have the hard drive space, you can make multiple SH4 folder copies, each with their own name, and with the use of MultiSH4, have a separate Save folder for each, thereby allowing you to have, as an example, a copy of the game with the mod you are currently using, a copy of the game with the mod you want to experiment with, and a Stock copy that you keep clean, and have made the copies for the other two from. With MultiSH4, the copies of the game do not cross-contaminate each other via the Save folder.

Old 07-09-19, 07:37 AM   #40
Red Devil
The Old Man

I installed easily enough, started a new career too in a Sargo, in case, ran that and sank 3 cruisers near Philippines. Then went back and added webbies torps v3; FJB colour map and csl deck gun optics. Went back to a Drum save and so far everything is running really smoothly.

I have SH4 on my E drive (1TB) so plenty of space. I will try a virgin install into a new folder and leave it there for now.

edit: ah well, drum save crashed to desktop after I had a lovely day v convoy; no way am I going back to that to do it again. Now going to try sargo save
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 07-09-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 08:29 AM   #41
Red Devil
The Old Man

Since running on FOTRS i am now experiencing crashes loading USS Drum saves, again. I switch to a sargo save and it loaded perfectly.

Going to try now and remove mods and see if drum loads

edit: removed mod and drum saves opened and ran perfectly.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 07-11-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 11:17 AM   #42
propbeanie

You cannot expect a Save from a previous mod state to ever run correctly in SH4 - even minor mods can often throw things off to the point of a crash, or at the least, corruption in the display and/or game-play. FotRSU not only changes the AI and environment, ship configurations, etc., but there are quite a few ships and planes and land units that are called and used quite differently than they are in other mods or stock. As an example, if you encounter a BB Fuso in stock, it does not generate scout planes. In FotRSU, it does. In stock, a CA Northampton, is classified as "Type=7 Heavy Cruiser". In FotRSU, it is "Type=19 Heavy Warship with Scout Planes". If you load a Save game from something other than an FotRSU save, you will most likely crash. Other mods, such as TMO or RSRDC, etc., do similar, though their changes might not be as extensive as FotRSU's are.

When doing mods, it is recommended to always empty the Save folder after activating the mod, and then playing, so that the game generates a new set of the altered files in that Save folder. The game runs mostly from that Save folder information. This is even recommended if you use MultiSH4 and have a separate install and Save folder for each mod you use. If you install and activate a new version of the same mod, you are usually better off starting with a "fresh" Save folder. When you use an old Save, the information for the ships and planes you have encountered might be different, such as the Type=7 versus Type=19 example above. The two assets have the same "name", but a different Type=, and that will definitely crash the game on you...

Old 07-11-19, 12:47 PM   #43
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Mods and conflicts

Hey Red Devil,

You state, "Then went back and added webbies torps v3; FJB colour map and csl deck gun optics".

I've used all three mods you list, plus more. The only known conflict has been with Webster's Improved US Torpedo Mod that causes 100% CTDs with MK10s on impact and occasional CTDs with MK14s. I've read, you do not want to run his Torpedo Test Mission along with normal game play. This may have contributed to CTDs with a few MK14s?

I use SH4 and U-boat Missions from Steam; thus, I have v1.5
The addition of U-boat Missions and GFO has made the game worthwhile.

I use NO mega mods except for Webster's GFO. I use four other Webster mods that are not included in GFO and some 30 other, various mods. I've been selective and careful installing them individually to check for conflicts. And so far its running smoothly.

Let me know if you'd like a list of my mods and order of install.
Old 07-12-19, 04:33 AM   #44
Red Devil
The Old Man

prop it was a new career mate. Not a save because the previous save that crashed was before I added the mod. So I started again, as with the Sargo. Sargo runs fine.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-12-19, 04:39 AM   #45
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Hey Red Devil,

You state, "Then went back and added webbies torps v3; FJB colour map and csl deck gun optics".

I've used all three mods you list, plus more. The only known conflict has been with Webster's Improved US Torpedo Mod that causes 100% CTDs with MK10s on impact and occasional CTDs with MK14s. I've read, you do not want to run his Torpedo Test Mission along with normal game play. This may have contributed to CTDs with a few MK14s?

I use SH4 and U-boat Missions from Steam; thus, I have v1.5
The addition of U-boat Missions and GFO has made the game worthwhile.

I use NO mega mods except for Webster's GFO. I use four other Webster mods that are not included in GFO and some 30 other, various mods. I've been selective and careful installing them individually to check for conflicts. And so far its running smoothly.

Let me know if you'd like a list of my mods and order of install.
the mods I am currently running on AFTER the crash are:

RSRDC TMO 5_2
RSRDC V5xxx patch 1
Webbies improved torp v3
FJB Colour map
CSL Deck gun optics
pacific sound mod

what I had before was

FOTR v0.90
FJB Colour map
Webbies improved us torps v3
CSDL Deck gun optics

Neal might be shouting at us soon, we have screwed up the thread on aircraft
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk