SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-14, 01:23 PM   #76
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

wow! I have a lot more respect for some of you now ... sorry to say I was judging you before you posted experiences real truckers have had.

As for 7,000 rpm on your truck my God man that is gruesome for any engine. I was popping the clutch at 3 grand on my Mustang and doing 120mph in fourth gear at 6,500 rpm with a 4:56 rear end.

Here's what you need Neal ... forget those drip coffee makers. The new iCoffee Steam Brew coffee maker is where it's at.

Put a case of bottled water in the passenger floor board too.

I think this will work with a 12vdc to 120vac convertor, but try it at home in your driveway before you do on the road or man up and ask the other truckers how they make coffee in the cab lol

$149.00

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...fee-maker.aspx

Quote:
The Remington iCoffee Steam Brew Coffee Maker delivers both the convenience of drip brewers and premium flavor that surpasses the French press. Patented SteamBrew technology is engineered to extract only the most refined coffee flavors with the flavor-releasing power of steam, so you always enjoy an impossibly smooth, hot cup of coffee. The iCoffee steam coffee maker first steams the coffee with optimum moisture and heat. Next, six patented SteamBrew rotational hot water jets further steam, tumble and stir coffee releasing exquisite flavors without the acidic and bitter aftertaste of conventional brewing. Fresh, medium coarse to coarsely ground coffee is recommended for best results.

The iCoffee's innovative design lets you observe the SteamBrew process through the brew viewing window. Delicately finessing coffee inside the brewer for a robust aroma and superior coffee crema, the coffee maker is 12-cup fully automatic and 24-hour programmable. The steam coffee maker includes a money-saving reusable premium goldtone filter. Automatic shut-off, 2-hour keep warm.

Product Details
  • • iCoffee introduces the world's first coffee maker with patented SteamBrew technology
  • • Steam and hot water jets steam, tumble and stir coffee grounds, producing superb coffee crema
  • • SteamBrew rotational system brewing technology saves up to 15% on coffee usage, while maintaining strength and exquisite flavor
  • • Innovative design allows viewing the SteamBrew process through the brew viewing window
  • • 12-cup capacity
  • • Fresh, medium coarse to coarsely ground coffee is recommended for best results.
  • • Reusable premium goldtone filter saves money by replacing expensive paper filters
  • • LED clock with 24-hour programmable timer, automatic shut-off and 2-hour warming cycle
  • • BPA-free
  • • Push-button on/off
  • • Tone signals end to brewing cycle
  • • Brew basket, brew basket lid and drip basket are top-rack dishwasher safe
You need this too ...
$17.75

http://www.amazon.com/Convertor-Prot...+maker+steamer

Quote:
NEW Deluxe Travel Dual Wattage Ranging From 50-1650 W to 0-50 Wattage Convertor US 110/120 V to 220 Volt with Fuse for Overload Protection. 50 to 1650 Watts . Low Watt Setting 0-50 Watts for Contact Len se Sterilizers, Radios, Shavers and Appliances Not Exceeding 50 Watts.......Hi Setting 1650 Watt: Ideal for Curling Irons Hair Dryers, With-in 1650 Watts, Clothes Steamers, Electric Blankets , Heating Pads, Curling, Travel Irons, Coffee Makers, Toasters. And Appliances From 50 to 1650 Watts
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:44 PM   #77
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

I convinced the company to put a APU on my tractor. It puts out 4,000 watts of 120V hydro as well as air conditions the cab when I am parked. In winter it will keep the engine temp at 110F and keeps the fuel from gelling up.
With that APU I carry an electric kettle and a french press for my coffee. I can make it as strong as I want. No more truck stop dishwater for me.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 03:23 PM   #78
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I have the TWIC card, it is now $135.

Will have to check on TSA, I thought that was part of TWIC.

TSA and TWIC are separate forms of ID. Also, as of late, we have been asked for birth certificates at some places with security. Best to have as many forms of ID as you can.
Old 04-21-14, 06:07 PM   #79
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Because it's a huge engine with huge pistons that would put a lot of stress on engine components if they revved higher. It's the same why V8 muscle cars do not rev as high as 4 or 6 cylinder sport cars. In general you can say the bigger the engine the lower the rpm.
I see now. When you put it in Muscle Car terms I can understand it.

Muscle > Import Forever

Anyway, i'm a little interested in these portable car coffee makers. Sounds like a pretty darn good investment.

I've already been wanting a CB Radio for a while now...
Old 04-21-14, 06:10 PM   #80
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Compared to 20 years ago, CB's are cheap.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Old 04-21-14, 07:03 PM   #81
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
There's one fortunate thing...

I won't be driving semis ever again, so you won't have to worry about me red lining the motor in your rig. I can do that in my own pickup truck by pulling the air bag fuse. The automatic transmission won't shift out of second if I do that.

A mind is a terrible thing to brain damage.

If you're going to hop the border into Canada, it's best to have a certified copy of your birth certificate for when you come back south.

Tomorrow never comes

Last edited by Wolferz; 04-21-14 at 07:14 PM.
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:08 PM   #82
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
Compared to 20 years ago, CB's are cheap.
I saw one that looked pretty nice. It's got an antenna and car plug and stuff...but it's also a portable walkie talkie kind of thing.

Link

Sometime I'll have some money through and I'll pick me up one.

Since this seems to be the appropriate place...what does everybody else recommend as a budget CB?
Old 04-21-14, 09:04 PM   #83
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Cobra 29 LTD Classic

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-29LTD-40...29+ltd+classic

Old 04-21-14, 09:49 PM   #84
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Looks like I'll need to buy an antenna too?

What sizes are available? If at all possible, i'd like something portable so I can take it other places.

Edit: There's a few promising looking things here (at least to me they look promising)
Old 04-22-14, 04:44 AM   #85
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Looks like I'll need to buy an antenna too?

What sizes are available? If at all possible, i'd like something portable so I can take it other places.

Edit: There's a few promising looking things here (at least to me they look promising)
Red, I know absolutely nothing about hand held radios. All of mine have been fixed mount.

Old 04-22-14, 07:21 AM   #86
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Red, I know absolutely nothing about hand held radios. All of mine have been fixed mount.
Okay.

I'll take my search elsewhere unless anybody else has anything to add. I thought about getting a handheld and then a cheap fixed one. You can get one for like....40-50 bucks on amazon.
Old 04-22-14, 07:30 AM   #87
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Ten Four Rubber Duck

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 08:32 AM   #88
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Because it's a huge engine with huge pistons that would put a lot of stress on engine components if they revved higher. It's the same why V8 muscle cars do not rev as high as 4 or 6 cylinder sport cars. In general you can say the bigger the engine the lower the rpm.

Very general observation. Many factors involved though. Torque is the major player with diesel engines. Chevy 302 V8 are capable of 12,000 rpm. They produce a mad amount of horse power and torque. The diesel generates an incredible amount of torque at low rotations. The weakest link for high torque engines is the transmission, drive shaft and rear axle that can twist like a pretzel under load. For the tractor, having a slew of gears produce a powerful pulling vehicle that is capable of good speeds as you work through the gears.
Old 04-22-14, 11:05 AM   #89
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Radar love and a little whipped cream and shorcake too BBY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Ten Four Rubber Duck

NAH! When your team driving (four on four off-fuel/sandwich stops only) strawberries from Salinas CA 6PM PST on Friday to the Big Apple-Manhattan produce dock by 1pm Monday EST it's more THIS: with a little help from your vintage Whistler-the high tech of the day- covered X and K band only...practically the 'metox' of its day! Ran with light off so the flash wouldn't give it away to the radar 'bears'; With the competent co-driver 'doctoring the logs' for the port-of-entry jerks! Had to look up for the eye-in-the-sky guys once in awhile too! "Breaker 1-niner Rubberducky how's that bear lookin on yer donkey? Is the pacemaker flashin / this is ol' Snagglepuss on the inquire! Kick it on back! Over to ya'! ...Good Buddy" now a collector item! $aved me few $hekel$ back in the day!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 01:05 PM   #90
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Red, if you live on a hill, then get yourself a kick butt base station and a real good antenna. OR better still, get your Amateur Radio Operators certification and talk all over the world. (HAM License)

Tags
driver, truck, trucker, truckers, trucks