Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-17, 09:29 AM   #1
swellfella
Seaman

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0
Default Enigma Rising Tide Gold vs Windows 10 64bit

Ahoy-

Dickens of time running this gem on Win 10. Get splash screen, menu options, hit patrol, then: Enigma has stopped working "..we'll read tea leaves and git right back to ya." Yeah. Thing is, non-Gold loads and behaves just fine. But, IMHO, Gold is the only way to go...far more immersive, pretty, etc. (The patch on the non-Gold? Some things are better left not having been done).

Tried the VM route. Worse. Cant even boot the splash screen. Thing just lays there flat as dead flounder. Did the compatability thing in both instances. No joy, nowhere.

Now I know some of sea dawgs are playing the thing. Just like to know if its Gold or not and under what operation configs, etc. Sure would like to get this old tub up and runnin.
Old 04-05-19, 11:37 AM   #2
Ferrit1981
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Hey,

Replying to your old post but did you ever get Enigma to work on WIN 10 64 bit?
Im having the same ol trouble.
Ferrit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 09:20 PM   #3
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Quote:
did you ever get Enigma to work on WIN 10 64 bit?
I did! and found quite a lot of fun and enjoyment in this old and nearly forgotten game. On the current fast computer, it runs like a charm. Graphics are little dated, however quite tolerable considering how old this title is. Ship models are nice and wish only that they could be moded. Same with ocean and sky, but one should not complain considering it is free here. Highly recommended.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 06:18 PM   #4
Ferrit1981
Swabbie

awesome news, do you remember how,

Please enlighten me!
Old 04-06-19, 06:39 PM   #5
Polak2
Weps

Actually, I did nothing but run setup file contained in available here ERTGold. The program installed and configured flawlessly. However, I must admit that at some point it crashed during scenario so currently, I changed compatibility to XP SP3 and tried again this time without any problem. I installed it also to run as an administrator.
Old 04-07-19, 04:11 AM   #6
Ferrit1981
Swabbie

unfortunately i cant get ERTGold to install under any compatibility or setting.
setuplancherx32 bit just sits idle on task manager.

Ill just have to settle for Silent Hunter 5.
Old 04-07-19, 07:25 AM   #7
Polak2
Weps

Hard for me to guess what could be wrong...
Just to give you more info here is the link to archive forum posts about ERT , perhaps you would be able to find some hints there. However, it is old and now defunct forum and I am afraid that much pre Win 10...

https://www.tidesofwar.net/forums/fo...-tide-archive/
Old 04-07-19, 01:14 PM   #8
Ferrit1981
Swabbie

Many thanks for your input.
I will have a nosey.
Old 06-17-19, 07:23 AM   #9
swellfella
Seaman

Downloads: 465

Dated, perhaps, but with hope this will be of some value to those who try as they will, can not get the the old puppy to kick on Win 10 64b. But, of course---it does.

Seems once I had decided to fire it up from the setup files which I had stored on an external drive, it wouldn't run. Now this was the same file from which I had installed it initially those many years ago. But no matter what I did, it would just sit after clicking autorun. Then I noticed there was no setup file! Duh! Now how that happened I haven't the slightest -- tho I distinctly remember copy-and-paste from the original media.

Be that as it may, once I used the media provided here at Subsim it installed beautifully and played flawlessly. I don't know what's at the bottom of others who found difficulty installing, but I suggest you search and use the media provided thankfully without cost here at Subsim.
Old 05-11-20, 03:13 PM   #10
nesop276
Nub

Downloads: 17
Default Enigma Rising Tide Windows 10

Enigma will run, I believe it has the same issue as Dangerous Waters. A download of the dll fix for DW fixes Enigma
nesop276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 05:22 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

nesop276! after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-20, 09:46 AM   #12
aks2161989
Nub

Downloads: 5
Default This is how you can run Enigma Rising Tide (Gold Edition) on Windows 10

1. If you don't have Enigma Rising Tide download it from the "downloads" section of this site. If you have it, ignore this point.

2. Double-click the .iso file. Windows will automatically mount it.

3. Run the "autorun" file. Select install.

4. Google for "DgVodoo". It is a free, compressed archive with many .dll files.

5. Download DgVodoo and unzip/extract the file. You will get a number of folders.

6. Go to every folder, copy all the .dll files in it and paste these in the installation folder of Enigma (the folder with the enigma.exe)

7. Right-click the Enigma shortcut on the desktop, go to compatibility and select "windows XP".
aks2161989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 04:12 AM   #13
agrigor1
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Default Solution to not starting setup in windows 7 64bit

I tried to install from the ISO file in windows 7 64 bit and the setup was not even starting. I could see the setup program running in Task manager but it was doing nothing. The problem is common with older games in Windows 7 that by default run Microsoft Game Explorer. Microsoft has stopped the operation of the servers of game explorer and this causes the problems.
A simple but not permanent solution for the setup to work by following these steps :
1) close setup in Task manager if it is already running ("End process" button)
2) close rundll32 in task manager (same button)
3) run setup again (to make sure it would succeed I chose compatibility with Windows XP and gave Administration rights, but I don't believe it is necessary in windows 7 - maybe it is in windows 10)

After these steps the installation proceeded normally and I installed the game in a different folder (not under Program Files (x86)). If the game doesn't start try to rename Enigma.exe file to something else, e.g. Enigma1.exe and use this to start the game. This worked for me and I hope it will for those who still want to play this game (I personally don't play it but I tried to install it for an old friend).

For a more effective method (but requires changes in windows registry changes) see https://www.gog.com/forum/general/ol...indows_7/page1

Last edited by agrigor1; 01-09-21 at 04:33 AM.
agrigor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 12:14 PM   #14
IWantedEnigma
Nub

Downloads: 3

Thought I should put in my two cents in case anyone was having issues even just installing the game from the (generously provided) ISO from this forum.

I'd run into an issue on Windows 10 (64 bit, running on a Lenovo Thinkpad) whereby the setup exe wouldn't do anything after being launched, or even give an indicator that it was running.
Going into task manager, I could see a program running (32-bit installer or something of that ilk) - right clicking and choosing 'go to details' brought up the list of processes themselves. Right-clicking on the highlighted process, and clicking 'Analyse Wait Chain' brought up a menu that showed what processes the setup file was waiting for in order to run.
In my case, it was Lenovo's built-in power management software (PowerMgr.exe) that was stopping the installer from initiating; ending that process allowed the installer to work. (Obviously, not all processes are safe to end in this way; google it if you're unsure)

Then it was just a case of using the dgVoodoo wrapper someone helpfully linked to in the comments of the download itself (which I link also, here) and putting the contents into the Enigma folder after it was installed, and it seems to run fine.

Current issues:
-no widescreen; this is a 'would like' rather than must-have, but it would be nice to have a wider field of view. Also, the interface itself is a bit on the small side on a modern resolution.
-buggy scenarios? I've not played enough to detect a pattern yet, but I've noticed in the training scenario ('Getting your feet wet') at least, that the enemies that are meant to be at certain waypoints during the mission.. aren't. The submarine at waypoint 2, for example, is a few miles away; the bombers that I assume are scripted to appear when you reach waypoint 3, spawn at the very start of the mission and will haze you relentlessly.
This could just be a quirk of the game itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something about the unlocked framerate or OS which might cause issues.

Other than that, though, good game.
IWantedEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-23, 03:20 PM   #15
Rolf8
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16

Enigma Rising Tide Gold. Every patch I try says bad install and the patch wont run. Any help would be awesome! (Win 10) The game gives orders on it's own, will the patch fix that?
Rolf8 is offline   Reply With Quote