SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-20, 10:03 AM   #1
BadgerDog
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Icon11 I'm back!

Well, technically I've been gone for 20 years, but I'm trying to get back into gaming.

Retired vet, 72 years young and survived triple bypass and Covaid 19, amongst other things.

I used to love Silent Hunter back in the day, but I'd like to get back into whatever is the current best realistic sub simulator. Multiplayer would be great if available on any program, but it's not mission-critical.

I thought I'd start back with SH3 on my Windows 10 mid-range specs machine.

To be honest, this site is overwhelming and I've got no idea where to post, so I started here. I hope it's roughly the right place to introduce myself.

Before I start downloading anything, I'd like some recommendations on where to get SH3 (I guess to start) and it's important that I'm able to add some of the better game mods and enhancements from other users.

I visited a site called STEAM where they market a complete package of all SH titles together, but I'm concerned that it seems to be designed to hook you into using their special software front end to run games?

I'd like to keep my independence from that sort of thing, so are there any other options to download the current sub sim titles?

Sorry for all the questions, but after decades of being out of gaming, you can imagine I'm a bit of a dinosaur.

Thanks for any advice and especially links if you're allowed to provide them here.

Regards,
Doug
BadgerDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 02:45 PM   #2
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163

Hi Doug,

Similar story for me, i'm back with SH3 again after quite a lengthy time away from it and i'm glad to be back in the forum.
Personally I cant help you at the moment as i'm busy setting my game up for my first patrol, but what I can say is that you 'are' at the right place and someone will guide you before long.
Good to hear you recovered from Covid-19.

Stay safe.

Paul.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 03:55 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

BadgerDog! nice post. A lot of us in the same age bracket...and feelin' it!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 04:07 PM   #4
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 44

Hi Doug.

I'm just back myself, after a 2 year silent run.

Here's a link that'll help you with a DVD purchase - https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...1&postcount=58

If you do decide to go for the Steam version this may help - https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...4&postcount=45

Personally I got an old DVD and installed LSHIII. It's very popular but not to everyone's taste.......but then what is? I opted for that as a good introduction back to SH3 and it has good support.

You'll find LSHIII here - https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=220285

And help with it from Berbster's links - https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...59&postcount=1

Whatever you choose good luck and have fun.

Gavin.
Old 07-25-20, 03:51 AM   #5
BadgerDog
Nub

Thanks for the welcome guys ...

Wow... there sure are a lot of old fellas like me on here.

I now have SH3 installed independent of Steam, with ALL the mods available including Grey Wolf.

Looking foward to re-learning everything.

Does the multiplayer actually still work in SH3?

If so, it would be great to get online with some of you.

Regards,
Doug
Old 07-25-20, 04:10 AM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi BadgerDog SH3 Multiplayer is no longer available within the SH3 Programe but you can still play Multiplayer with Hamachie and its free download link below

https://vpn.net/

Hamachi Free Version that allows up to five players ie the network creator plus four other clients the Hamachie free version is not a trial so no time limit on usage but its limited to five users. The Standard paid Version as 32 user slots and costs £35 for a one year subscription. Hamachi Hamachi Installation and setup disable your firewalls then click on advanced then properties leave domain alone but on private and public inbound changed (Block Default) to Allow then on protected network clicked on customise button and unchecked Hamachi on both private and public then clicked apply on both. Then go back to your windows firewall clicked on allows programme features through firewall then click on change settings then browse Hamachi on Local Disc Programe Files x86 LogMein Hamachi then I clicked on Hamachi2 then click on click on client engine then click add then click both boxes client and public on the hamachie tunneling engine then just come out of that folder. now go to your network settings click on Hamachi untick internet protocol version 6(TCP/IPV6) click on internet protocol version 4(TCP/IPV4) then click on advanced if he automatic metric box has a tick and the box below is greyed out then your good to go

Last edited by blackswan40; 07-25-20 at 04:55 AM.
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 04:17 AM   #7
BadgerDog
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi BadgerDog SH3 Multiplayer is no longer available within the SH3 Programe but you can still play Multiplayer with Hamachie and its free.
That's interesting ...

I assume I simply use the LAN multiplayer option that appears in the sim's menu?

I'll download it and see if I can get it going once I've re-learned the basics again. I've heavily modded basic install of SH3, so will multiplayer on Himachi still work with other player versions that aren't modded?

Regards,
Doug
Old 07-25-20, 04:24 AM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Badgerdog all players have to have the exact same file setup or you risk player dropping off your LAN Server also i would recomend having two SH3 installs one for your Campaign and one for Multiplayer.
Yes Sir when in SH3 click on Multiplayer then LAN.

When i Play GWX Multiplayer I have the blank Campaign files installed in that
version of SH3 you just swap out your Campaigns/Campaign Folder from GWX with the blank Campaign Folder.

Blank Campaing File download link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1082

LSH2015 has the blank campaign already to go you just switch out the full campaign for the fast load multiplayer one with JSGME Mod enabler thats also built in to LSH2015

does the steam version of SH3 have a documents folder with the QRC quick reference card if not download link below

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5617

if you need any more help just add to this post or send me a private pm good hunting Chief Salute

Last edited by blackswan40; 07-25-20 at 01:34 PM.
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 06:28 AM   #9
BadgerDog
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Badgerdog all players have to have the exact same file setup or you risk player dropping off your LAN Server also i would recomend having two SH3 installs one for your Campaign and one for Multiplayer.
Yes Sir when in SH3 click on Multiplayer then LAN.

When i Play GWX Multiplayer I have the blank Campaign files installed in that
version of SH3

Blank Campaing File download link

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1082

LSH2015 has the blank campaign already to go you just switch out the full campaign for the fast load multiplayer one with JSGME Mod enabler thats also built in to LSH2015
Thanks ...much appreciated.

I downloaded and printed off the keyboard template you linked to. That certainly will be very helpful.

I have the full GWX install, so I'll have to make sure all players are configured like that, or I guess there'll be issues. I'll also download andinstall the blank Campaign files from the link you provided and I do have JSGME installed as well. So, I'll try to figure out how to use it for the campaign files.

Thanks again...

Regards,
Doug