SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-19, 12:40 PM   #1
Lancezh
Seaman

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Physical Raobf and Attack Disk now available, also usable for Wolfpack

After a long iteration and some problems that needed solving i'm finally ready with ma Raobf that you can use for Wolfpack as well. You've probably already seen my thread in the general forum and i apologize for the spam, i'm not sure how to delete threads, either way, here's

The RaobF Disk:

The Attack Disk:

You can look at them in detail here
https://www.etsy.com/shop/wellplayedch

I will also make a tutorial for them and provide some files for those who want to print those fantastic tools for themselves out of paper with these graphics. All in due time though, i hope to get it done in the next couple days.

Last edited by Lancezh; 04-12-19 at 01:38 PM.
Lancezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 06:03 PM   #2
rolandslaw
Bosun

Downloads: 66
Default The Attack Wheel

Just received the very nice Attack Wheel... Great job.

i am going to add backing to allow me to pick it up without the three wheels coming out of position. That is what I did in mine... that I can not find:<)

In mine... since the three rings were all of thick gloss white paper. or thicker material ........ the paper was cut around the outer edge of each ring... the paper within the ring was not cut away. Then All I did was place the rings in correct position on top of each other... and pin through center.... each ring was able to be moved independent of the others while being held upright..... the markings on the rings are printed on the high gloss thick paper....

In your design... the above needs to be modified to .... tomorrow I am going over the office supply and c if I can find the thick backing I will need....

Roland / CyStryker
rolandslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 05:56 AM   #3
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Are you going to combine both onto one 'disc' that can be picked up and held whilst being used? i.e. RAOBF on one side, AD on the other?
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 01:41 PM   #4
tofoftofof
Swabbie

Downloads: 120

Do please share the files you created! Particularly for the RAOBF, since noone else has made a printable / laserable one.

Shipping from Switzerland seems silly when there's a laser cutter in a fablab just down the street from me.
tofoftofof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 06:31 PM   #5
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default two sided disk

That is well beyond my capacity to create a two sided disk out of thick paper stock. I am going over to a print shop Friday morning with color pdfs of the Whizs wheel and the attack disk.... still looking for my printouts of the FAOBF..... if I find it I will post it...
CyStryker
Old 04-26-19, 09:41 AM   #6
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

RaobF Disc Arrived this Morning a bit of a different Design than the Original one posted on the forum but excellent Quality very happy

Gees Mom where do the batteries go just kidding

any tutorials would be appreciated on the RaobF Disc I like the idea of using the same/similar Attack Discs real Submariners used in WWII

Thankyou Lancezh great piece of Kit and spare pegs too as we say in Yorkshire Jobs a good'un!

Last edited by blackswan40; 04-26-19 at 10:05 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 10:25 AM   #7
Lancezh
Seaman

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
RaobF Disc Arrived this Morning a bit of a different Design than the Original one posted on the forum but excellent Quality very happy

Gees Mom where do the batteries go just kidding

any tutorials would be appreciated on the RaobF Disc I like the idea of using the same/similar Attack Discs real Submariners used in WWII

Thankyou Lancezh great piece of Kit and spare pegs too as we say in Yorkshire Jobs a good'un!
I'm glad you like it, the one that you see on etsy had some issues that didnt let me sleep so i spent alot of hours to improve the design, make sure you fix the top hole as well so the disk has no room to wiggle at all.

I promise to have a tutorial in as soon as possible!
Lancezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 10:53 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I got my disk also today. I connected the spare pegs with a string through the center peg. Those are easier to hold and turn the middle ring by the holes.

Old 04-26-19, 11:20 AM   #9
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi Pisces good call drilling the pegs and threading string through am i right in thinking that the inner disc does'nt need to turn so one could glue the inner disc to the baseboard and also the four pegs attached to the plastic rods on that inner disc
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-19, 11:24 AM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Yes, the center disk is supposed to be fixed, as is the outside ring. I guess you could glue it fixed. Only the one inbetween must rotate. So long the pegs don't come loose I don't think it is needed to glue. I first want to keep it so I can disassemble it. I used some parafin/candle wax to lubricate the surfaces and want to see how that holds up.
Old 04-26-19, 03:07 PM   #11
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default German to English translations for Attack disks

Gents and Ladies: I thought you might like to know the meaning of the German Phrases on the various wheels.
Rad = Wheel; lage rad= Bearing wheel; Peilung rad= Course wheel; Zeit Rad Rack= Time wheel; Lage b. ShuB= location of shot; Kurs = Course; Vorhlat=deriviative; Vorkaltwindrel= lead angle; Einst= one; Gegnerkurse= opponent course; optische Lange= optical (takes into account the ship at an angle to determine compared to physical length of ship;

CyStryker
Old 04-26-19, 03:18 PM   #12
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default Prepared new color disks

I took digital copies of templates for the front and back of the disk stored on a thumb drive to Office Depot. I believe the disks are the front and back of the "Attack Disk". The tech was able to print the individual wheels of the two disks based upon a 200 mm maximum diameter. of the outer wheel of each disk. We printed them in color on heavy gloss white stock. They both came out perfectly. I had the transparencies printed to match the size of the wheels. I printed enough material for 4 disks at a cost of $22.00. I need to do the following: I need to find ,.. I think Home Depot has it... acrylic sheets to stiffen up the transparent items, clear glue and a pin system that will pin the wheels in the center that will not tear the paper wheels. I plan on adding the acrylic sheet to the back of the outer wheel in each disk and glue it to the wheel. Please note I did not cut away the pper from the inside of the wheels...including the outer wheels.... So when I glue the acrylic backing it will stiffen the entire disk therefore it should allow me to pick up the disks and hold in a vertical position. After I complete the task I will post the results on line with required info on diameters of each wheel.

I have a riveting device which I think will lend itself nicely to safely pin the wheels of each disk together in the center and allow free movement ( I need to determine what wheels should be fixed and glue that wheel in place). With the rivet I can secure different lengths and diameter rivets... armed with stainless washers I should be able to secure the wheels in the center without damaging the paper wheels.

I still can not find my first disk I made when I first started playing SH3:<)

Roland/CyStryker

Last edited by rolandslaw; 04-26-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 04:26 PM   #13
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslaw View Post
Gents and Ladies: I thought you might like to know the meaning of the German Phrases on the various wheels.
Rad = Wheel; lage rad= Bearing wheel; Peilung rad= Course wheel; Zeit Rad Rack= Time wheel; Lage b. ShuB= location of shot; Kurs = Course; Vorhlat=deriviative; Vorkaltwindrel= lead angle; Einst= one; Gegnerkurse= opponent course; optische Lange= optical (takes into account the ship at an angle to determine compared to physical length of ship;

CyStryker
Some corrections to the translations if I may:

Lage Rad = AOB Wheel
Peilung Rad = Bearing Wheel
Lage b. Schuß = AOB at the moment of the shot
Vorhalt = shoot bearing
Vorhaltwinkel = lead angle (gyro angle)
Optische Länge = optical length

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-19, 02:47 PM   #14
rolandslaw
Bosun

Default corrections

Derstrosstrup:

Thank you for feed back.... :<) I will add this to my list I have.

Roland / CyStryker
Old 04-27-19, 02:49 PM   #15
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslaw View Post
Derstrosstrup:

Thank you for feed back.... :<) I will add this to my list I have.

Roland / CyStryker
Not a problem, great work here!

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote