SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-20, 07:13 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Acting Navy secretary resigns over handling of virus-stricken aircraft carrier

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...gn-navy-172625

Quote:
Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigned on Tuesday following an uproar over a profanity-laced address to the crew of the coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt on Sunday, Defense Secretary Mark Esper announced.

Modly submitted his resignation letter to Esper on Tuesday after meeting with his boss one-on-one, a defense official with knowledge of the meeting said.

"He resigned on his own accord, putting the Navy and Sailors above self so that the USS Theodore Roosevelt, and the Navy as an institution, can move forward," Esper said in a statement.

Army Undersecretary James McPherson will be tapped to temporarily lead the Navy Department, Esper said. McPherson was confirmed to be the Army's No. 2 on March 23, a little more than two weeks ago.

In his resignation letter, a copy of which was obtained by POLITICO, Modly thanked Esper and President Donald Trump for their "confidence" in him.

"More than anything, I owe every member of the Navy and Marine Corps team a lifetime of gratitude for the opportunity to serve for them, and with them, once again," Modly wrote in the brief letter, which was addressed to Esper. "The men and women of the Department of the Navy deserve a continuity of civilian leadership befitting our great Republic, and the decisive naval force that secures our way of life."

Modly was more loquacious in a memo to the force, in which he acknowledged that he “lost situational awareness” during his address to the Roosevelt’s crew.

“You are justified in being angry with me about that,” Modly wrote in the memo, which was obtained by POLITICO. “There is no excuse, but perhaps a glimpse of understanding, and hopefully empathy.”
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 04:41 AM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Icon14

I think this was the right decision.. hard for Modley but right.

A bit astonished to see that happening, after all we all know how the Navy/ies usually handle such situations.. those who are less in rank usually have to go when something blemishes the reputation, guilty or not.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 06:55 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I really fail to see how he had any other choice.

Here's how the BBC have covered it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52209105

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 07:57 AM   #4
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I try not to get involved in anything of a political debate although this hardly qualifies.

Capt. Crozier tried to go up the chain of command with his requests / pleas regarding the health and safety of his crew. They were completely ignored. Capt Crozier was looking out for the safety of his crew with what he did. It was said that Crozier should have taken his concerns private . As mentioned, he did that already.

SecNav Thomas Modly then goes public and calls a decorated officer stupid and naive only to say a day later that he doesn't believe he is stupid at all. Then why say that in the first place ? This is complete hypocrisy.

Then SecNav Modly flies thousands of miles to berate the crew of the Roosevelt for paying Capt Crozier respect as he departed. Modly is completely destructive to the morale of every branch of the military and an embarrasment.

The reality is Capt. Crozier is a decorated officer of flag rank and deserving of respect. It's incomprehensible that Modly, who is graduate of the United States Naval Academy class of 1983, Georgetown University, and Harvard Business School and a helicopter pilot would act in this manner.

The reality is the conduct of Modly is / was a public relations nightmare and the backlash would have been felt in enlistment and retain-ment falling off. It most likely will still will. I'm glad Modly left as he would have gotten the boot if he didn't and he knew that.
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 10:16 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 11:30 AM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I try not to get involved in anything of a political debate although this hardly qualifies.

Capt. Crozier tried to go up the chain of command with his requests / pleas regarding the health and safety of his crew. They were completely ignored. Capt Crozier was looking out for the safety of his crew with what he did. It was said that Crozier should have taken his concerns private . As mentioned, he did that already.

SecNav Thomas Modly then goes public and calls a decorated officer stupid and naive only to say a day later that he doesn't believe he is stupid at all. Then why say that in the first place ? This is complete hypocrisy.

Then SecNav Modly flies thousands of miles to berate the crew of the Roosevelt for paying Capt Crozier respect as he departed. Modly is completely destructive to the morale of every branch of the military and an embarrasment.

The reality is Capt. Crozier is a decorated officer of flag rank and deserving of respect. It's incomprehensible that Modly, who is graduate of the United States Naval Academy class of 1983, Georgetown University, and Harvard Business School and a helicopter pilot would act in this manner.

The reality is the conduct of Modly is / was a public relations nightmare and the backlash would have been felt in enlistment and retain-ment falling off. It most likely will still will. I'm glad Modly left as he would have gotten the boot if he didn't and he knew that.

Someone recorded that 1MC announcement that Modly made aboard the Roosevelt. I call it "the WTF vid" because that was what a crewmember said, loudly, about 3/4ths of the way in. Well, he actually said the longer Navy version of "WTF", but you get the idea.

I doubt the Navy can back-track the decision to remove Mr. Crozier at this point. The one bright spot is that Mr. Crozier won't have to worry about buying a beer for a long, long time.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 01:43 PM   #7
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

The acting secretary of the Navy was not acting like a gentleman when he called the captain dumb or stupid.

According to officer's hand book you shall not argue with another officer in front of the enlisted men
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 05:36 PM   #8
moose1am
Frogman

Default Captain Crozier should be made whole

IMHO the Captain did what he thought was the best for his crew and ship. He did not do anything wrong IMHO. He should be made whole. : salute:

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 05:58 PM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1am View Post
IMHO the Captain did what he thought was the best for his crew and ship. He did not do anything wrong IMHO. He should be made whole. : salute:
If he lives that is from having contracted Covid-19 last week
or achievement

Old 04-08-20, 07:17 PM   #10
moose1am
Frogman

Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
If he lives that is from having contracted Covid-19 last week
Do you know how old Captain Crozier is and what his chances of living through this terrible virus are?

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 08:20 PM   #11
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Now We know why he was just an "ACTING" Secretary.
And it's obvious his acting SUCKED!
Old 04-08-20, 08:51 PM   #12
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1am View Post
Do you know how old Captain Crozier is and what his chances of living through this terrible virus are?
February 24, 1970 (age 50)
Santa Rosa, California, U.S

Probably the same as other men that old everyone saying good-by didn't help
or achievement

Old 04-08-20, 09:20 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

frankly the whole contretemps is ridiculous and gives greater aid and comfort to any of our enemies foreign and domestic, either of which is bad at this time of prewar buildup for suzerainity of the seas, especially with regard to China and N. Korea. Captain Crozier did violate the chain of command in a fashion contrary to his training and status as a carrier captain, so some punitive remuneration is required. However the mitigation is also extant, namely that the lives of the sailors, still kids with concerned moms, is paramount. That the captain and over 100 are afflicted with corona in time of peace speaks for itself. Basically it is a 49-51 % solution problem. The well meaning captain needs a slap and the other 11? carrier captains will not err as a result of his minor misjudgement in pursuit of the greater goal-thus he has served to lead by mis-example which is often as effective as leading by example. The proper response is to issue a lesser Navy 'letter of admonishment' which may be put into Capt Crozier's file as opposed to a Navy 'letter of reprimand' which is more severe, and usually career ending. I cannot imagine some other officer really wanting to replace the ill captain aboard a quarantined vessel of major influnce on the high seas. Everyone, from new Sec.of Navy McPherson down, needs to stand-in-place and wait out the quarantine at Guam and pray no other Navy vessel is similarly afflicted. The captain, if he recovers, should be restored to command.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-08-20 at 10:29 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 10:25 PM   #14
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

A proper LEADER of his Men does whatever is needed to protect his Men.
Somehow the HIGHER leadership has forgotten the Guys on the front lines are more then a number.
Acting Secretary Richard Cranium deserves to be keelhauled.
How can anyone expect the rest of our brave young Service Members to continue their duties?
It's already shown you are throwing them to the Wolves!

Damn the Virus! Full speed ahead!
Old 04-09-20, 04:40 AM   #15
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

Someone recorded that 1MC announcement that Modly made aboard the Roosevelt. I call it "the WTF vid" because that was what a crewmember said, loudly, about 3/4ths of the way in. Well, he actually said the longer Navy version of "WTF", but you get the idea.

I doubt the Navy can back-track the decision to remove Mr. Crozier at this point. The one bright spot is that Mr. Crozier won't have to worry about buying a beer for a long, long time.
Being that you served in the U.S Navy, I think you have a unique insight into the events transpiring right now and I'm happy you put your " two cents worth " in. Considering the send off Capt Crozier received, I think we are in the majority of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
frankly the whole contretemps is ridiculous and gives greater aid and comfort to any of our enemies foreign and domestic, either of which is bad at this time of prewar buildup for suzerainity of the seas, especially with regard to China and N. Korea. Captain Crozier did violate the chain of command in a fashion contrary to his training and status as a carrier captain, so some punitive remuneration is required. However the mitigation is also extant, namely that the lives of the sailors, still kids with concerned moms, is paramount. That the captain and over 100 are afflicted with corona in time of peace speaks for itself. Basically it is a 49-51 % solution problem. The well meaning captain needs a slap and the other 11? carrier captains will not err as a result of his minor misjudgement in pursuit of the greater goal-thus he has served to lead by mis-example which is often as effective as leading by example. The proper response is to issue a lesser Navy 'letter of admonishment' which may be put into Capt Crozier's file as opposed to a Navy 'letter of reprimand' which is more severe, and usually career ending. I cannot imagine some other officer really wanting to replace the ill captain aboard a quarantined vessel of major influnce on the high seas. Everyone, from new Sec.of Navy McPherson down, needs to stand-in-place and wait out the quarantine at Guam and pray no other Navy vessel is similarly afflicted. The captain, if he recovers, should be restored to command.

I agree with you on this.

Another point I would like to add. Most here who have either served in uniform or indeed, in everyday life have had Co's or bosses. I think most people here have seen ineffective leadership in their lives and wondered to themselves how someone like them could ever attain a leadership position. There are many who couldn't command a one man raft on a sunny, calm day, let alone an Aircraft Carrier.

The burden of command and the safety of his crew was at stake. Capt Crozier has done it all from flying helicopters to F-18 hornets to being a squadron CO. Capt. Crozier was faced with a pandemic and threat to his ship that he understood and took seriously and that no other commander in past times has ever faced. To be sure, other Commanders and Captains are facing it now. Capt. Crozier made a command decision and stood by it. To be sure, there are a great number of mitigating circumstances.

It seems lost on people like Modly and others like him that The " rank and file " members of the military, in this case, the Navy, not only respect Crozier for his rank but also as a man and leader that they would follow anywhere because of his Intelligence, leadership abilities and integrity. How much is that worth ? In my opinion, that's everything.

In 2004, Crozier reported to Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94), another F/A-18 Hornet unit known as the Mighty Shrikes, as a department head, and was again deployed with Nimitz in 2005. In 2006, Crozier was assigned to VFA-125, the "Rough Raiders," and served as an instructor and Fleet Replacement Squadron Operations Officer. The following year, he reported in 2007 to the Naval War College, where he earned a Master's Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies.

Quote: In 2004, Crozier reported to Strike Fighter Squadron 94 (VFA-94), another F/A-18 Hornet unit known as the Mighty Shrikes, as a department head, and was again deployed with Nimitz in 2005. In 2006, Crozier was assigned to VFA-125, the "Rough Raiders," and served as an instructor and Fleet Replacement Squadron Operations Officer. The following year, he reported in 2007 to the Naval War College, where he earned a Master's Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies.

Crozier was the commanding officer (CO) of VFA-94, based at Naval Station Lemoore in California. As squadron CO, he made multiple deployments for U.S. Third, Fifth, and Seventh Fleet operations, numerous exercises and Operations Southern Watch and OIF.[8] He led his squadron on expeditionary deployments with Marine Aircraft Group 12 based out of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, to support Pacific operations and the Global War on Terror. His squadron CO tour ended in August 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Crozier

In Short, Capt. Crozier is highly educated and has done it all.

Another point is I'm not convinced that the Wuhan lab isn't the site of a biological / chemical weapons development and testing program and that the Corona Virus isn't an experiment gone wrong, or maybe not. Considering Corona Virus is very much an outgrowth of SARS and MERS, is this a natural progression or was this a manipulation of this disease created in a lab ? I believe it is.

Could this be a test of the U.S military China is confronting and it's command and control structures ? If that's the case, then Modly completely missed the big picture and showed we will turn on our own commanders. This sets a dangerous precedent for all commanders in every field of operations. To use a phrase that's all the rage: " Modly is too stupid and naive to continue as acting SecNav."

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-09-20 at 05:23 AM.
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote