Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 09-17-17, 06:02 AM   #16
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

No headlights at night. There are tank "sims" that use them excessively in night battles.

Your dig at a certain non-Steel Beasts tanksim is I think out-of-date, given appropriate orders, Skybird:

Iraqi Army T-62 advancing at night, in Steel Armor Blaze of War:

And the view of the same scene from the TC's sight - active IR (which can also be turned off) is the only lighting being used:

Last edited by 33lima; 09-17-17 at 09:40 AM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 01:02 PM   #17
Lootron
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

I got PP2-x. I used the mod enabler, everything installed correctly. Except when I get to the mod enabler. I enabled the mod. The bar progressed a little bit then it went into "not responding" mode. I did this more than once. While it did this it took all my disk usage.

Last edited by Lootron; 09-18-17 at 09:36 AM.
Lootron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 01:27 PM   #18
33lima
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootron View Post
I got PP2-x. I used the mod enabler, everything installed correctly. Except when I get to the mod enabler. I enabled the mod. The bar progressed a little bit then it went into "not responding" mode. I did this more than once. While it did this it took all my disk usage.
IIRC the Mod Enabler does this with larger mods, and PP2-x is a larger mod. In Vista 64 anyway, leave it alone long enough and it will complete, even though reporting 'not responding'.

It's important to be aware that - unlike most other games which use a similar mod enabler - in PE, the mods are two folders deep. For example in my case, the path in which PP2-x is installed looks like this (I installed NOT into the Program Files(x64) folder, as many older games don't like this):

C:\PanzerElite\Mods\PP2-x\PP2.x

Without the second 'PP2-x' level, the enabler will not put the files into the correct folders. If PP2-x has its own self-installer and it was given the corrrect path, it probably took care of this. Was probably fine as you could see the mod in the enabler's LH panel.

When you launch the Mod Enabler now, does any mod show up as enabled in the RH panel?

What happens if you start Panzer Elite? IIRC there will be something on the home/main menu screen indicating the name of the active mod (if the maker has designated one in the mod's .ini file).

Not sure what state aborting a run then re-starting will leave things in. If run again and alllowed to finish, it might work fine. But might not 'disable' cleanly. Worst case scenario, uninstall PE, delete any remaining folders, re-install.

Becomes second nature after the first time!

Best place for further advice is the PEDG forum.
Old 09-18-17, 01:50 PM   #19
Lootron
Swabbie

I got the mod working and it is GREAT!

Question: My wingmen keep falling back. I end up doing everything. Why sint there an order for "follow me"? Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: Whenever I play a day scenario, all the tanks are black.

Last edited by Lootron; 09-18-17 at 02:12 PM. Reason: ARRGH!
Old 09-18-17, 02:37 PM   #20
33lima
Planesman

Quote:
I got the mod working and it is GREAT!

Question: My wingmen keep falling back. I end up doing everything. Why sint there an order for "follow me"? Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: Whenever I play a day scenario, all the tanks are black.
Your wingmen should follow you by default. However, if they see an enemy, and unless you have ordered them to hold fire, they will halt and engage (the wingman number turns from white to blue in the 'mousetank', when a wingman is engaging).

If you want them to stop shooting and get back into formation, select all wingmen, and then order 'Hold Fire'. If they are slow to start moving again, you can again select all, then order 'Continue'. Remember to oder 'Fire at Will' again at some point!

You can also mouse click on another tank in your platoon (the actual tank) to select him, then click on a spot on the ground, to order him 'Move there'. You can move pairs of wingmen in the same way. if you ahve set them up as groups, IIRC.

They should follow you by default, in the formation you have ordered. That's only your own platoon of course, other friendly platoons in the same scenario are following the script set by the mission maker.

Having to learn and do all this stuff is why you get paid more as a platoon leader

Tanks being black sounds like a texture library not loading or a mismatch between a particular texture library and the 3d files. Unless it's a particular problem with a particular tank. Suggest you register on the PEDG forum and ask there, the mod's maker Daskal, Aldo or one of the other regulars will get you sorted pronto.
Old 09-18-17, 03:30 PM   #21
Lootron
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
Your wingmen should follow you by default. However, if they see an enemy, and unless you have ordered them to hold fire, they will halt and engage (the wingman number turns from white to blue in the 'mousetank', when a wingman is engaging).

If you want them to stop shooting and get back into formation, select all wingmen, and then order 'Hold Fire'. If they are slow to start moving again, you can again select all, then order 'Continue'. Remember to oder 'Fire at Will' again at some point!

You can also mouse click on another tank in your platoon (the actual tank) to select him, then click on a spot on the ground, to order him 'Move there'. You can move pairs of wingmen in the same way. if you ahve set them up as groups, IIRC.

They should follow you by default, in the formation you have ordered. That's only your own platoon of course, other friendly platoons in the same scenario are following the script set by the mission maker.

Having to learn and do all this stuff is why you get paid more as a platoon leader

Tanks being black sounds like a texture library not loading or a mismatch between a particular texture library and the 3d files. Unless it's a particular problem with a particular tank. Suggest you register on the PEDG forum and ask there, the mod's maker Daskal, Aldo or one of the other regulars will get you sorted pronto.
I think it was a certain map or my game needed to be restarted, because its good now!

I got PP2-X and its all ready to go! Anything else I should know about?

Old 09-18-17, 04:55 PM   #22
33lima
Planesman

All I would say is, it will likely avoid frustration if you learn the keystrokes for the things you need to do regularly. As well as the manual, there is a complete list here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pedg...t-p-t1711.html

As there are so many, and so many of those are multi-key combos, the trick is to isolate and learn the commonly-used ones, maybe make your own list. For example, getting your tank to reverse, which you will forget the keystrokes for, just when you most need them.

Some random bits of advice:

- main keystrokes to learn (apart from reverse) are those to:
- select the whole platoon
- order (selected tanks to) fire at will
- order (.. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..) hold fire
- order (.. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..) to halt and to continue
- order own gunner to fire at will
- order own bow gunner to fire at will
- fire main gun
- fire co-axial MG
- formation commands for line (abreast), column, and wedge
- change views to external, gunner's sight, zoom gunner's sight where available, change range setting on gunner's sight where available, TC unbuttoned, TC binos
- choose ammo type (if you have it, use 'special AP' for heavy tank enemies)
- fire smoke mortar (if fitted);
(there are alternative text menus for commands but I find them too obtrusive visually and just use the hotkeys)

- Choose your setup options carefully - for example what is displayed on the map (I use 'show spotted units') which helps with navigation as well as who's who and where; and TC invulnerable so I don't have to worry about closing the hatch when I should;

- when the mission loads, orient your own tank the way you want to face and order your platoon into a suitable formation immediately (you may need to move forward a bit to 'give them room' to get into formation;

- also immediately, order your bow gunner to fire at will, otherwise he will not engage spotted targets;

- adopt your own style but I suggest playing mainly in the external (Ctrl+F1) view for situational awareness, dropping to the gunner's sight only when you want to shoot something (or fighting from the TC position, clicking on targets to designate them for your AI gunner);

- mouse-drag to reduce the size of the mousetank so that it is as small as you can use it and drag it to a corner where it is least conspicuous;

- when calling in artillery (from the 'Support' tab in the F12 map), remember there is a delay, so allow for any target movement as best you can. Don't expect too much if using it against enemy tanks, best kept for dealing with infantry who have weapons which will kill tanks if they're close enough eg you drive in amongst them without shelling them first;

- the F12 map tells you the victory conditions for the mission, in very explicit terms eg destroy 100% of this named enemy platoon (not so much in my missions though!);

- when advancing, be patient and do so in bounds. You can either order some wingmen to halt while the rest advance, or (faster) all advance together from cover to cover. But try to halt in a position which provides cover for your own tank and other wingmen with you eg a fold in the ground running perpendicular to your path. Observe the ground ahead for a while, before moving off again, you (and your AI crew-mates) are more likely to spot anything nasty from the halt;

- when playing many campaigns, be aware that supply may be limited by your set-up options and by game files, so you may start with five Tigers and after losses, end up with two Panzer IIIs and a couple of armoured cars. This is silly even for the German side and the game files that will come with Britpack '44-x will allow you to be re-equipped with the AFV your crews are trained to use, in each successive mission.

Again, good hunting!

Last edited by 33lima; 09-18-17 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 09:46 AM   #23
Lootron
Swabbie

Thanks! Learned a lot of those things already! Except for bow mg cease fire and fire at will. One more question, where is all the stuff that came with the gog se edition? it didnt come with any mods and it didnt come with the theme! I didnt pirate it, so where are these hings? the mods are outdated yes, but the desktop theme seems good. I got the manual though. I also didnt get the tools and the "panzer history"
Old 09-20-17, 01:00 PM   #24
33lima
Planesman

Strange, but PESE is that GoG says it's selling, and the thing that made the Special Edition 'special' was the inclusion of the mods - so they should be on your GoG version somewhere. On first release, the mods came on a second 'bonus' cd with the mods, a few other things like destkop wallpaper and the editors. Possibly apart from the wallpapers, I think you can now get the editors and the mods on the PEDG website...

http://pedg.chollie.co.uk/

...with some newer mods (or reworks of the original mods) instead being available on the PEDG forums...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pedg...138b3ab363aebb

I dunno if GoG bundled the original mods or the later ones but they and the editors (landscape, object and scenario) should all be there somewhere. On the PESE 'bonus' CD, IIRC each mod was a separate self-installing zip file. If you look at the folder structure of your installation, there should be some clue, maybe a 'bonus' folder or somesuch. IIRC the panzer history was part of the paper manual.
Old 09-20-17, 04:03 PM   #25
Lootron
Swabbie

2 more questions: Can you switch control to a wingman once your tank is gone? if so, how? And can you repair your tank when it is immobilized?

read your profile, I like atlantic fleet too!

Last edited by Lootron; 09-20-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 01:54 PM   #26
33lima
Planesman

Quote:
2 more questions: Can you switch control to a wingman once your tank is gone? if so, how? And can you repair your tank when it is immobilized?

read your profile, I like atlantic fleet too!
Yes AF's a great game, I just wish Killerfish had added some DLC content and a 'realism tweak' update before moving onto Cold Waters and the Cold War under the surface. Still love & play AF though. I have a big and IMHO justly very positive review of AF over at CombatAce and some Mission Reports there too.

In PE, when your tank is destroyed, you should find yourself instantly transported to a wingman's. If that's not happening, well I don't think it's a game settings option so maybe the mod you're playing has disabled it, in an .ini file entry somewhere that the game options menu doesn't touch - with a hand-edit of the right line, it should be possible to revert to default behaviour. Takeovers will not continue to happen after your own platoon has been ko'ed. Happens a bit fast but I much prefer being able to 'shift my flag' to another platoon tank to Steel Fury where your mission ends when your own tank or TC is clobbered.

You should also be able to switch tanks at any time to any other platoon tank. Select it - usually I click the triangle marker under its numbered box marker, in the Mousetank, which switches to an 'over the shoulder' view of the other tank, but does not execute the takeover. To do that, while in that view, hit Ctrl+J, after which you should find that this tank is now yours and responds accordingly to commands.

Sometimes - in PE3 I found this, especially - your own tank got irretrievably stuck, oftern on a very minor obstacle. And the only way to unstick it was to switch to another tank, at which point the AI who took over your former tank would get it moving again. Can also be tried in reverse, if you look back and see a wingman has got stuck.

BTW if your PP2-x Shermans don't look like this Firefly, you're missing the update which added M4s to the models treated to an update in that mod.

Last edited by 33lima; 09-21-17 at 02:06 PM.