Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 09-15-17, 09:31 AM   #1
Lootron
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Icon7 Thinking on a few tank games, advice?

Noticied Panzer Elite is cheap on GOG.

So, I thought of this website. Im more of looking for WW2 tank games.
So which ones do you think are best? And if panzer elite is in you answer, can you also put some info on mods and extra setup for windows 10? also thinking of getting panzer elite action

I'm also looking at Steel Fury

Old 09-15-17, 12:57 PM   #2
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27

You have probably seen this thread, already:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=233151

This is absolutely the place to go for advice on Panzer Elite, Windows 10, the meaning of life etc etc:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pedg...138b3ab363aebb

I assume that your ref to Panzer Elite Action was in jest, unless you are after an arcade game with tanks (each to their own, no moral judgements made here).

More realistic games with WW2 tanks I would NOT recommend for someone interested in a tanksim:

Iron Front Liberation 1944, or ARMA mods - a good WW2 soldier sim and the tanks and other AFVs are beautiful to behold, but a tank simulator it's not - if you have played Op Flashpoint/ARMA/ARMA2 you will understand: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/8...-and-movement/

WW2 Battle Tanks - T-34-v-Tiger - good-looking, a great simulator of the (operation of) the two tanks in question, but very little mission content, little-to-no ability to add any, very sub-par AI, and apart from some intercom traffic, non-existent command, control and comms. A fuller take on it is here: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/8...-versus-tiger/

Buy 'em and try 'em is my advice, if you can get 'em cheaply enough.

PE is in many technical respects a better tanksim than SF:K42. Both need mods to be at anything like their best. You'll have noticed that SF:K42 has much better graphics, especially terrain and representation of infantry, field defences and crew-served weapons. And IMHO better stock missions (in that they generally represent more realistically company-level all-arms operations). PE is much better for its scope and for its related campaign elements, stock or modded, and has much better command, control and comms.

IMHO, anyone with a serious interest in fighting WW2 armoured battles on the PC just has to have these two, whatever else they may try or buy. If I had to choose one, I wouldn't.

Last edited by 33lima; 09-15-17 at 01:20 PM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-17, 08:40 PM   #3
Lootron
Swabbie

Well, I really like arcade games!

Why not get both Panzer Elite and Steel Fury?

And yes I have seen that post. Your pics really drew me in!
Lootron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 04:30 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootron View Post
Don't, I had Steel Fury many years ago, and found it quite dissapointing.

I know you said WW2, but the boss on the block was and is Steel Beasts Pro 4. If you want to just play some light stuff and kill some time, pick any of the several tank games around. If you want a sim, go SBP. Old school tanking without modern sensors and wepaons can be simulated by using accordingly old vehicles, SBP now includes tanks since end of WW2. You can also edit scenarios so that sensors are broken and old ammuntiions are enforced, short viewing ranges collide with killed thermal display, etc. Vehicle list in the SBP sticky thread at top pof the forum list.
Old 09-16-17, 07:03 AM   #5
33lima
Planesman

Each to their own Skybird but I read your original assessment of Steel Fury and thought it a bit on the harsh side. Besides, even though the basic engine is today much as it was after the last patch, SF as it was back then is no basis to judge SF as it is now. It's not as good a tanksim as either SB or SABOW but many find it one of the best.

While I rate SB very highly indeed, especially for its attention to the sort of detail (like crew drills and comms) that other tanksims tend to do less well, IMHO there is no sufficiently compelling reason for anyone who wants a reasonably realistic WW2 experience to consider purchasing a tanksim, however good, that features no WW2 AFVs or units when there are good, dedicated WW2 tanksims available. Which there are.

If you want a good modern (post-WW2) tanksim, buy Steel Beasts or Steel Armor Blaze of War - each has their respective advantages, including price point, # of playable vehicles and so on.

If you want a good WW2 tanksim, buy Steel Fury or Panzer Elite, both preferably.
Old 09-16-17, 12:26 PM   #6
Lootron
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
Each to their own Skybird but I read your original assessment of Steel Fury and thought it a bit on the harsh side. Besides, even though the basic engine is today much as it was after the last patch, SF as it was back then is no basis to judge SF as it is now. It's not as good a tanksim as either SB or SABOW but many find it one of the best.

While I rate SB very highly indeed, especially for its attention to the sort of detail (like crew drills and comms) that other tanksims tend to do less well, IMHO there is no sufficiently compelling reason for anyone who wants a reasonably realistic WW2 experience to consider purchasing a tanksim, however good, that features no WW2 AFVs or units when there are good, dedicated WW2 tanksims available. Which there are.

If you want a good modern (post-WW2) tanksim, buy Steel Beasts or Steel Armor Blaze of War - each has their respective advantages, including price point, # of playable vehicles and so on.

If you want a good WW2 tanksim, buy Steel Fury or Panzer Elite, both preferably.

I plan to get both! The one I think I will enjoy more is the one that has less detail, I'm not looking for a super sim. It will take a while to learn, but I reckon that bot will be very fun!

Also, can you post more of your pics 33ima? They make me drool

Last edited by Lootron; 09-16-17 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Lootron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-17, 12:53 PM   #7
33lima
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lootron View Post

Also, can you post more of your pics 33ima? They make me drool
OK, here we go, Panzer Elite first - pics from some of the missions I'm making for the Britpack '44-x mod, due by the end of the year - it should have vehicles with more 3d tracks and suspensions:

US Shermans in 'sunny Ital-ee' from the PP2-x mod, showing models with 3d suspension:

And the same mod's late-model Panzer IVs, this time in Normandy:

Last edited by 33lima; 09-16-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 01:05 PM   #8
33lima
Planesman

Now Steel Fury - except the first one; couldn't resist sneaking in an M60 from SABOW:

Now Steel Fury, starting with a couple of scenes from a Jagdtiger mission I made for the 'Schulze's Diary' campaign.

Schulze leads his three Jagdtigers into position covering the bridge he must defend until the Panthers and grenadiers of 2 SS Panzer arrive:

Schulze's gunner lines up the leading platoon of Shermans as they roll towards the bridge:

A scene from the post-battle review, showing US infantry, half-tracks and the Pershings which arrived later, stalled on the western side of the bridge:

Michael Witmann surveys the next bound before advancing up to the N175, north of Villers Bocage:

Later in the battle, Witmann passes a burning enemy carrier as he flanks the stalled British column at Villers Bocage:

Panthers at Prokhorovka:

Stock German campaign:

King Tigers in a winter mission:

In an earlier battle, Schuzle finds himself on Hill 226, up against the Churchills of the Scots Guards:

IS-3 seen through a comrade's gunner's sight

Next three are from 'Do your Job!', a mission in Lockie's campaign based on the movie 'Fury':

Michael Witmann's gunner's view of a Cromwell at Villers Bocage:

Last edited by 33lima; 09-16-17 at 02:03 PM.