Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-15, 06:04 AM   #1
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Uploads: 0
Default Question regarding BDU Radio Messages

I absolutely LOVE NewUIs_TDC_7_4_2_ByTheDarkWraith mod!

Question though for s those that have used it a bit more than me.... I've been getting a LOT of BDU radio traffic and I'm not sure what is atmosphere and what is actually linked in to the game.

A few examples:

While doing the Eastern British Coastal Waters mission I received a radio message (on or about December 27th 1939) saying that all u-boats should now target Greek Ships but to remain unobserved. I'd spotted a few Greek Ships earlier and they were green. But I've not seen one since. Will they now appear as red and ARE they legit targets?

Sometime in Early February 1940 I got a message saying that a "merchant" ship called Thalia docked in Cadiz Harbor in Spain (Down near Gibraltar) Apparently it's been implemented in game as a resupply ship which appears to have fuel and torpedoes. The nav map does show a friendly presence down there but I've not actually gotten down there yet to check it out.

Finally, I just requested the South Western Approaches mission (it's Feb 1940) and got the sub mission of taking a spy to Liverpool. I navigated as far as the English Channel (just North of Cherbourg) and I received a radio message addressed to my U-Boat number saying "Return to Base." Is this just random atmospheric messaging or is it tied into something else?

Neither of these is reflected in my Captain's log, just in the radio log.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 07:23 AM   #2
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233
Default Does anyone have any additional info on this?

I'm trying to figure out which radio messages are just added for atmosphere and which ones are meaningful.

I've had a radio message citing my sub number saying to return to base. I ignored it and everything seems to be going fine.

I had a radio message that said Thalia would be in Cadiz and available for resupply. It was, and it was very convenient.

It's now March 01 1940 and and I got a radio message that says suspend all operations in the Atlantic. I'm guessing that that is just atmosphere and I don't really want to return to port when the only mission that I can progress on right now is the Western Approaches one.

Can anyone give me the straight dope?
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 08:40 AM   #3
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Hi Havan_IronOak

Most of the radio messages are just to add feeling to the game.
However, some had been added and are actual real time game events (the re-supply ship)

In general:-

gray background message = not game event (with OHII following historical dates - some will have meaning in your game)
red = actual and aimed at the player (OHII)
blue = requires you to respond

Also - wolfpack messages (after you have sent contact report) are real game events.

Hope this helps
Old 05-02-20, 12:56 PM   #4
JDinAUSTX
Swabbie

Downloads: 62

Can anyone lend me a hand? I'm playing SH5 again and have an unusual "glitch". Having stated such, I realize there is probably a VERY simple solution which I'm just not seeing at the moment.

My messages from BDU get "stuck" in the center of my screen in-game and I can't close them.

They just hang there, limiting every move I make, like some old second cousin who won't leave the living room long after it's time to go home.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks!
JDinAUSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 05:09 PM   #5
JackFlash81
Swabbie

Downloads: 53

I think I've had this happen before. Usually, it starts when I open my message log in the map view. The button to toggle it and whether it displays goes out of sync. I found that by toggling the button and hitting the x on the upper right of the message box eventually makes it go away. Is this what you are referring to?
JackFlash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 07:06 PM   #6
Compans57
Officer

Downloads: 71

I have a couple of BDU questions too.

I was assigned a patrol area off NW coast of Scotland. I patrolled that sucessfully and was reassigned another area fairly close. After 2 days there, spending much of my time evading warships (and trying not to be tempted to TC) without a whiff of any merchants, I decided to head elsewhere.

Do I have to wait for BDU to tell me I'm clear to go?

Do I lose renown?

It's less a question of cowardice than it makes for countless boring hours on 8 TC max.

Also I notice that convoy reports tend to get sent to the captain's message area ('K' button). These tend to pass me by. I think the radio guy reports them?

Any way of making them more obvious like the beeping BDU reports?

In SH3, once you'd spent all your torpedos you could send a status report to BDU and they'd tell you to come home. Is there any reason they're not in TWOs?
Compans57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:20 PM   #7
JDinAUSTX
Swabbie

Downloads: 62

Thanks for the reply JackFlash81. There was no "x" or way of shaking the message off the screen. I fixed it by deleting a messaging mod and then reinstalling it. Problem solved.
JDinAUSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 02:12 PM   #8
Compans57
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compans57 View Post
I have a couple of BDU questions too.

I was assigned a patrol area off NW coast of Scotland. I patrolled that sucessfully and was reassigned another area fairly close. After 2 days there, spending much of my time evading warships (and trying not to be tempted to TC) without a whiff of any merchants, I decided to head elsewhere.

Do I have to wait for BDU to tell me I'm clear to go?

Do I lose renown?

It's less a question of cowardice than it makes for countless boring hours on 8 TC max.

Also I notice that convoy reports tend to get sent to the captain's message area ('K' button). These tend to pass me by. I think the radio guy reports them?

Any way of making them more obvious like the beeping BDU reports?

In SH3, once you'd spent all your torpedos you could send a status report to BDU and they'd tell you to come home. Is there any reason they're not in TWOs?
Sorry to be pushy but does anyone have an answer for these? My relationship with BDU is a little mysterious.
Old 05-10-20, 04:30 AM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compans57 View Post
Sorry to be pushy but does anyone have an answer for these? My relationship with BDU is a little mysterious.
Why only TC x8?

Read this post, maybe you'll find some answers there ... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3816

Last edited by vdr1981; 05-10-20 at 04:43 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 08:56 PM   #10
Compans57
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Why only TC x8?

Read this post, maybe you'll find some answers there ... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3816
Thanks that's really useful.

TC X 8 because there's destroyers close. Speeding it up too much seems to attract their interest.