SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-19, 04:47 PM   #1
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0
Default cyclic

Trying to install sh4 gold on c:/programsX86 and I get and error called cyclic redundancy check in F:\data2.cab...How or what should I do to fix it???

Last edited by Berserker; 08-29-19 at 05:31 PM.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 05:33 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Trying to install sh4 gold on c:/programsX86 and I get and error called cyclic redundancy check...How or what should I do to fix it???

First, install somewhere else. Also, what OS are you running?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 08:09 PM   #3
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Microsoft windows 10..I have it installed on the D: drive with jsgme all seems fine but when I click on the autorun it wants another install...

Last edited by Berserker; 08-29-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 02:34 AM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I'm assuming F:\ is your CD/DVD drive? If so pull the disk out and see if that works. Launch from either a desktop shortcut or directly from the exe in the install folder.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 07:33 AM   #5
Lord_Kane
Watch

Downloads: 212

it means that it could be possible your DVD or your Hard Drive is damaged. most likely the DVD.

The error means that the data hasn't passed an integrity check as the installer extracts and then copies the data.
Lord_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 07:52 AM   #6
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

First thing is that once you have SH4 installed you don't need the install disk to run the game. Go to the SH4 install folder and use the sh4.exe to start the game.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 01:54 PM   #7
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Looks like I have done my last patrol...I have installed to C: D: and E; and none of them work...Closest I have gotten is when I click on play then I go to desktop...
Old 08-30-19, 02:48 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Which media version of the game do you have Berserker? In other words, are you using a disk, or a download? If using a disk and you are getting a CRC error while installing, you either have dirt on the disk, or a failing reader. You could try to gently "wash" the disk with plain water, using a soft towel to pull the moisture off from the center of the disk to the outer edge - but gently. Try installing again. If you have a digital download, then there is a data error somewhere in the file. Are you getting a file name with the error message dialog?

If you are past getting the CRC error, are you also installing the DirectX v9.0c and the Windows Media Codecs for it? Those ~have~ to be installed, else the game won't run. No matter what version of DirectX you have on your computer, you need the version with the game to update the dll files to include what SH4 needs. It is an ~old~ game, and as such is not "compatible" with the newer versions of DirectX unless you put the 9c in. This does not ruin or alter the newer version of DirectX. It just adds some dll files to the current install.

When you are installing to the other drives, you want to be certain that you are not in a "Program Files" folder of any sort, as has been alluded to. It matters little if it's a C: drive or an M: drive, or whatever letter. Windows sees that "name" as a protected folder, so make certain you eliminate that portion of the path when you install... Also, do not add any mods until the game runs correctly on its own.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 08:39 PM   #9
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

The sim is on a disk and the external cd thingy is only 6 months old...I have tried the wipe down to no avail..I put it in a separate folder on d: E: drives.I am tired now..I have been trying for 5 days to make it work...Time to rest..
Old 09-03-19, 07:50 PM   #10
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Have to get a replacement install disk, basically that error is telling you it can't read the data in the .cab file. A .cab file is essentially the same as a .zip file, a compressed archive, if it can't be read it can't be extracted.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-19, 09:01 PM   #11
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
The sim is on a disk and the external cd thingy is only 6 months old...I have tried the wipe down to no avail..I put it in a separate folder on d: E: drives.I am tired now..I have been trying for 5 days to make it work...Time to rest..
External DVD/CD drive? Is that via USB? Do other apps install from their disks OK using the reader? Do you have a working internal drive you could try? The age of an optical drive has no bearing on its functionality. I had an internal drive start throwing errors after just a few weeks. They do fail. If you have the room on the hard drive, you could make a folder and copy the DVD-R contents into that, and try to run the Setup.exe file from the hard drive, if the copy completes. Otherwise, as Sniper297 says, the disk might have one scratch too many, or the dye is losing its luster. Either way, it is apparently not being read correctly.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 06:41 PM   #12
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Anyone know where I can buy a new disk of sh4 gold edition???
Old 09-07-19, 07:50 PM   #13
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Directly from the subsim store is best;

https://www.subsim.com/store.html

Scroll down to SH4 gold.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 08:49 PM   #14
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Well I have a new disk and I have tried installing to E-D-Cx86 all have a clean install but when I try to play all I get is the desktop..No black screen..I have missed something but to dumb to know what it is...Operating win 10 in properties set to win 8 running as administrator...Just saw something that could be the problem..The desktop logo has a shield on it...Maybe the sim is being blocked by the anti virus...

Last edited by Berserker; 09-14-19 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 01:39 AM   #15
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Well I have a new disk and I have tried installing to E-D-Cx86 all have a clean install but when I try to play all I get is the desktop..No black screen..I have missed something but to dumb to know what it is...Operating win 10 in properties set to win 8 running as administrator...Just saw something that could be the problem..The desktop logo has a shield on it...Maybe the sim is being blocked by the anti virus...
Best is to run it with windows 7 compatibility in properties ... well, i do.
Don’t forget to install LAA (Large Adress Aware) application linked to your SH4.exe, and also set your SH4.exe to not read only in properties...
Good luck
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote