SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-19, 05:02 PM   #1
Antimatter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Questions about Playable Subs mod and modding in general

Hi all

I found the Playable Subs mod and really like it, but it adds a long list of subs, making it hard to navigate the sonar profile list. I'd only like to add a few more subs to the default game.

1. Other than the arrow buttons and the "sub", "warship", and "civilian ship" buttons, are there any shortcuts to navigating the list of sonar profiles? If I edit the vessel list, what's the most efficient way to order the vessels? (Right now, the Playable Subs vessel list is ordered by nationality, not vessel type)

2. One idea is to take the default folder and add a few files from the Playable Subs mod.

If I only want to add the Virginia class subs, what are the steps I need to take? I've tried adding "usn_ssn_virginia.txt", editing "_vessel_list.txt", adding a profile picture, adding a sonar profile image, and adding "Textures/usn_ssn_virginia.png". However, this causes parts of the game not to load properly. What am I missing?

Are the instructions different if I want to add a UK sub (since there's a modified UI) or the Gotland class sub (since there's no file in the Textures folder)?

What are the instructions for adding a GBR sub (like the Resolution class)? Why are these subs listed under "GBR" instead of "UK", and why don't they have text files in the vessels folder?

Also, attempting to use the Resolution in some of the Playable Subs versions of "The Duel" mission causes the game to crash. Is there a way to fix this?

There's also a file in the Textures folder called "usn_ssn_starfleet.png" but no corresponding text files. Anyone know what type of sub this texture file corresponds to? How can I turn this texture file into a playable sub?

3. Another idea is to delete all of the unwanted subs from the Playable Subs folder. What are the steps that I'd need to take to remove a sub?

4. The Playable Subs text files use a different return carriage symbol that causes the text to run together when viewed in notepad. Is there an easy way to replace all the return carriage symbols? Are there any downsides to making this change? Does it affect game performance in any way?

5. I'd also like to add a new sub. What are the steps that I need to take? Is there a guide somewhere on how to create the 3d model?

I'd like to add the Barbel class sub (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbel-class_submarine). Anyone know of an existing mod that includes it?

The Barbel class looks similar to the Skipjack class and has the same torpedo tube layout but is smaller. How would I modify the Skipjack model to create a Barbel? Is there a way to keep the torpedo tube size the same while scaling everything else down?

Thanks for any help