Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-27-20, 09:09 AM   #1
marvelsferb7
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Should I get Silent Hunter 5?

So I got Silent Hunter 3 recently and I was hoping for it to be great fun. Sadly I have realised that I am too much of a casual gamer to truly get into the game. I find it very difficult. I’ve heard that Silent Hunter 5 has more arcade elements to it and I was wondering if I should get that and play it instead. If it’s still a no, then at least tell me how I stop my torpedos from bouncing off ships randomly.water mats

Last edited by marvelsferb7; 04-30-20 at 10:24 PM.
marvelsferb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 09:19 AM   #2
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

if the some of the fish is bouncing off you probly to close and they are not arming
Old 04-27-20, 09:42 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

marvelsferb7! are you closer than 300 meters when you fire. the torpedo will not arm itself under 300 meters and not detonate.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 10:00 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Based on your text 'Casual gamer' , I would say: Stick to SH3 which has the advantage that you can play with several submarines and technically this game is far more easy to manage compared to SH5. Much faster learning curve.

SH5 will require from you to get 'indepth' by reading a lot of documents in order to install and later play the game correctly to avoid CTDs or problems, this is due to the fact that there aren't many mods to chose from (which you absolutely need), and the ones that exist are not simple install-go-and-play solutions. They are very realistic and difficult in gameplay, there are no written manuals for the extensively changed interface (e.g. TWoS), you would have to spend a lot of time in the sticky threads or videos to just know how to play.
Tweaking the difficulty down is not easy and you would have to know a lot about mod installations and their working - and still you could mess-up your installation.

It doesn't sound appealing for you? No problem, stop reading and skip to my final tip for SH3 below.

If you want to deal with all this then go ahead and try SH5, but that's not for a 'casual gamer'. It's not a game for the impatient player.
Why am I so much talking about mods here? Because the SH5 stockgame, e.g. like Steam delivers it, is not playable, you can launch and play it, but you would quickly find out that it's no joy, so you need to install a megamod which there are only 2-3 at the moment, none of them is easy to install or play (the mod authors will tell the contrary but that's natural isn't it...). Also technically the situation is so that only a Steam install will work without problems to overwrite it with TWoS, without tricking or getting illegit you cannot install your personal modlist in SH5.

The SH5 campaign is better IMO which gives you more varied gameplay in different world sectors with in-game videos that explain your campaign advancement; the game grafics are top for SH series also. But you play only with a Type VII submarine which is not a big drawback IMO.

SH3:
The modded SH3 is as good - if not better - than SH5, but it's more a preference question. The modded SH3 is more stable and the learning curve somewhat easier. In SH3 you can easily tweak down the game difficulty if you want, which is not so easy with the modded SH5.

My tip:

SH5 - The Wolfes of Steel megamod over a Steam installation of the 1.2.0 stockgame. (Spend 20 minutes to read the install instructions first...)
SH3 - WAC megamod - No big dances (but also read install instructions first), install game, update it, apply the megamod and enjoy game immediately. The stockgame and mod manual will do if you have questions.

I hope this helps you, but watch some videos to make up your mind.
XS

P.S:

The truth about modded or unmodded SH5? I cannot prove it scientifically, but: I can most likely count on my 10 fingers all the players who have played the game until the last campaign chapter and ... will restart playing it

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-27-20 at 06:33 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 03:34 AM   #5
raj87
Bilge Rat

Default What game should I start with?

I want to get into a sub game but I'm not sure which one to try. It seems that Silent Hunter III while old is still highly regarded and that SH5 is an utterly buggy useless mess. Cold Waters looks good for a more modern but arcadey game. What would everyone recommend?
raj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 09:12 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj87 View Post
SH5 is an utterly buggy useless mess.

That's true for the stockgame yes, but not for the modded game which will play totally different.
SH3 modded is as good as a working SH5, maybe with some inferior grafics, but that also depends on the mod you chose to load.
Both SH3 and SH5 need heavy modding, in the case of SH3 you also need a Widescreen mod.
Coldwaters is a modern nuclear sub game, not a WWII related game. Cool game for sure, I enjoy it a lot.

What to recommend? But how could I possibly tell you? Go watch videos on Youtube to see if you like the games, you will also find videos about the 2 most recent WWII sub games: Wolfpack and U-Boat. All these games except SH1 are available on Steam AFAIK.

If you like super-realistic gameplay, modded SH3 (I play it with WAC mod), modded SH5 with TWoS are excellent. Wolfpack is multiplayer and single player. U-boat is more centered towards crew management. I'm currently playing SH4 (Pacific WWII with different US boats), but this game also needs heavy modding, I enjoy a lot SH4+FOtRSU; also SH4+Ralles Modpack is very good.

If you like it more simple instead, get a game like Crash Dive where you play a German boat in the Atlantic, a very good in-game tutorial to get you started quickly, the game has different diffiuculty levels, but it lacks some good features like airplaines or landscapes, a Crash Dive 2 is planned. You can also play easy with SH3 modded. Not with SH5 however (until I release my megamod for it).
Finally a hot tip: I've seen SH1 Commander Edition 1.3 as abandonware. Find and get it if it's still there, I have downloaded it just to get the English menu and voices, I cannot give the link however.

I hope this helps,

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-29-20 at 09:49 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 09:49 AM   #7
xristoskaiti
Lieutenant

Downloads: 456

try sh4
I find it very realistic
xristoskaiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 09:53 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default welcome aboard!

Quote:
I want to get into a sub game but I'm not sure which one to try.
raj87!get 'em all! and mod to the max! don't overlook Aces of the Deep either.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 04-29-20, 10:22 AM   #9
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj87 View Post
I want to get into a sub game but I'm not sure which one to try. It seems that Silent Hunter III while old is still highly regarded and that SH5 is an utterly buggy useless mess. Cold Waters looks good for a more modern but arcadey game. What would everyone recommend?
I wouldn't call Cold Waters arcade. Great modern sub game.
Old 07-06-20, 01:50 PM   #10
jessy87
Bilge Rat

Default What game should I start with?

I want to get into a sub game but I'm not sure which one to try. It seems that Silent Hunter III while old is still highly regarded and that SH5 is an utterly buggy useless mess. Cold Waters looks good for a more modern but arcadey game. What would everyone recommend?krogerfeedback

Last edited by jessy87; 07-18-20 at 04:13 AM.
jessy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 03:21 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
raj87!get 'em all! and mod to the max! don't overlook Aces of the Deep either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy87 View Post
Jessie87! all have their good points; I'd also keep an eye on new in development games: Wolfpack and U-Boat. SH III is still great!