SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-20, 11:15 AM   #1
holohw
Watch

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo watch in SH4?

Where can i see the time to impact for my torpedos?
holohw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 12:34 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by holohw View Post
Where can i see the time to impact for my torpedos?

After you launch the first torpedo the clock will pop-up. the red clock hand will show you the impact time, although this can be over 1 minute. Only the time for the 1st torpedo of multiple launches is shown. You can also see your torpedos in the attack map if you zoom-in.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 01:30 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
After you launch the first torpedo the clock will pop-up. the red clock hand will show you the impact time, although this can be over 1 minute. Only the time for the 1st torpedo of multiple launches is shown. You can also see your torpedos in the attack map if you zoom-in.
+1

In addition, the red time to target hand turns a bright red at one minute to impact...
FWIW, the Mk 14 at high speed covers 1000 yd in about 35 sec... Since the stopwatch only registers the first torpedo launched I use that information to time subsequent torpedo releases to (hopefully) obtain simultaneous impact.

If I target three ships at say 3000, 2300 and 1500 yds I launch the first torpedoes and then subsequent fish at about 25 second intervals.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 02:10 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I recently was far away of a task force with a juicy battleship at 8400 yards but at perfect -90° AOB. No second chance to get in position (convoy was faster than my sub). Theoretically enough distance for the MK14 at slow speed with 33 knots travel time. I have set the depth to 15 feet and launched 3 torpedos in desperation, but I should have chosen a 1 and 2 degree difference angle relative to my first torpedo to score at least 1 hit, without that I could only see 3 misses as a result
But at that distance it was a fool idea to fire anyway I think.
The clock remained black in that case IIRC, also because I didn't get a direct lock on the target, I had to hit L to get a solution for some seconds (without manual targetting) , the clock didn't pop-up in that case, I had to display it manually, then I had to go to the attack map to see the torpedos run for about 3 minutes.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-19-20 at 02:18 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 09:07 AM   #5
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Running FOTRSU, the clock doesn't pop up by itself, but I activate it.
Also time to run can be shown on the attack map, when you are locked on to target, the line that shows a little ahead of the target has a number at the end of it: time to impact for the torpedo you about to fire.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote