SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-28-20, 05:18 AM   #1
Richard.W
Swabbie

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default Hello to everyone......And some help with running mods, please.

Hi, all...

I'm not what could be termed a "Gamer" as such but I do have a liking for simulation (sim) games, such as "Rise of Flight" WWI combat flight sim and the "Battle of Stalingrad" WWII combat flight sim series, along with the "Silent Hunter" submarine combat sim series. I was hooked on the original old "Silent Service" game, years ago.

I now have Silent Hunter IV and V as downloads through Uplay and Silent Hunter III as the Steam version.

Here's my problem.....

At my age (58) I'm as thick as a brick when it comes to finding my way around a computer. I want to add mods to the Silent Hunter games but when I read up about it, the information always seems to be several years old and talks of things like ........"extracting files to folders to open with, etc, etc" which have to be done in a certain order or it won't work.

The pc I'm using was custom built for me a year ago with gaming in mind so I know the cpu and graphics card are more than capable of running these sims maxed out. It's using Windows 10 and all my sims work fine unmodified but of course they include the known glitches (especially around Silent Hunter V)

What I'd really like if possible, is for some kind person to advise me on up to date, reputable mods and explain to a senile old fart, in light and fluffy baby steps, how I go about installing and running them.

All help very much appreciated.

Richard.
Richard.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 06:04 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Hi and welcome here Richard!

Was also a great fan of Rise Of Flight for years and IL2 Sturmovik
Had the same pseudo on their forum too, if maybe you remember...

Best mod for SH5 is by far The Wolves Of Steel (TWOS) that you can download on this site, and for SH4 i would say Fall Of The Rising Sun Ultimate (FOTRSU) for US side of war in Pacific theater, or Dark Waters (DW) for German side of war In Atlantic/Baltic/Mediterranean/Indian/Pacific theater.

You’ll need to install JSGME to activate those mods, and for SH4 mods Large Aware Application (LAA) to allow more RAM for your computer (absolutely necessary)

THEBERBSTER made a compilation of all necessary explanations, easy to use and install even for novices

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 06:50 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Richard.W
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod (TWoS) By vdr1981 > Highly Recommended For All SH5 Players

A Pictorial Step By Step Guide Through The Wolves Of Steel (TWOS) Installer > Pictorial
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 10:22 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Richard.W !

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 06:13 AM   #5
Richard.W
Swabbie

First of all...."Wow"...Thanks for the welcome and the responses, guys.... Very kind and more than I expected.

I warned you I'm thick as a brick when it comes to this computer techno stuff...

Here's what's happened so far....

I had SH3 on my Steam account but rather than mess about, I bought it again as a download from Ubisoft.... It downloaded and installed without issue and runs fine...BUT. I was expecting a brand new account (as in having to start again from scratch) but the Ubi install gives me the same level/progress which I have on the Steam version, so I assume the servers are somehow linked??

Anyhow, I followed the instructions about turning off anti virus, restarting the pc, etc and downloaded the mega mod from THE BERBSTER......Again, no problem, that went well until I tried to install it and it requests the game file, at which point I get an error message telling me it's not a valid path or something....I've made sure it's the file for Silenthunter3 (with no spaces) but it's refusing to accept it...

Yes, I know it will be me being a dummy somehow but I'm wondering if it's because the games are automatic download and not a physical cd install? ... I get no option as to where they install, It's just pay, download, install, play. Never an option like you got with the cd games.

Thanks again, I won't give up, lol.
Old 01-29-20, 11:45 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi RW
I am confused here, are we talking about SH3 or SH4?
Quote:
and downloaded the mega mod from THE BERBSTER.
I only have a SH4 mega mod not SH3!

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 04:23 PM   #7
Richard.W
Swabbie

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...59&postcount=1

Hi, Peter. I'm sorry to be such a pain. I really am baffled by computers when it comes to anything to do with files and folders, opening this with that, etc......A simple cut and paste operation was black magic to me until a couple of years ago!

Don't get me wrong, I think they're fantastic things. I'm not "scared" of them as such, just out of my depth...... Because I have so little knowledge, as soon as I get a fault code or error message, I'm stuck.

If the link I've included above (if I haven't messed it up) is where I got the impression the mod was for SH3 from.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Richard.
Old 03-24-20, 04:56 AM   #8
dessert fox
Watch

Downloads: 89
Default im stuck with the same message

no spaces are allowed in path
dessert fox is offline   Reply With Quote