SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-20, 06:56 PM   #1
Richard.W
Swabbie

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default Mods Not Being Recognised.

Hi again, all...

First of all, the good news......

After many hours and much sweat and tears (no blood) I finally succeeded in installing the LSH3 MEGA MOD onto my Steam download of SH3 and it's working fine, providing I launch the game from the SH3 ex in the program and not the desktop shortcut, which causes the game to ctd just before it finishes loading......I can live with that and the modded version of the game is looking good.

Now for the not so good news....

Flushed with success after figuring out the SH3 mod, I decided to have a go at putting FOTRS onto my SH4 game (It's a UBISOFT download on the c drive but NOT in the program (x86) files)

The base game is a new install and 100% vanilla... I installed JSGME and Large Address Aware, directing it to the SH4 ex.....The FOTRS zip file was opened into the mods folder and unpacked.....The mods show up in JSGME and I can activate them so everything seems to be as it should... However..

Whenever I launch the game, whether from the shortcut, UPLAY or the SH4 ex in the program, I just get the regular vanilla version.

Obviously I'm missing something, somewhere but I'm stuck as to know what to do next......The path is the same for the file and the UPLAY setting... It's not in the program x86 files and the stock game runs perfectly... It's like it's not seeing any mods at all, although they're definitely activated.

Any ideas as to where I've goofed, please?
Richard.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:04 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

First step, double check that you didn't get a doubled folder in your mods folder.

This is what you want:
Code:
SH4                  THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY
  |
  ->MODS
      |
      -><mod to install>
           |
           ->Data
Depending on how the mod was zipped and unzipped, you may find that inside the "<mod to install>" folder, you have another folder called "<mod to install>". Inside this folder you should find the "Data" folder.

Like so:
Code:
SH4                  THIS IS THE WRONG WAY
  |
  ->MODS
      |
      -><mod to install>
           |
           -><mod to install>
                 |
                 ->Data
In this case, run JSGME and disable <mod to install>. Rename the outer "<mod to install>" folder to "<something>". Drag the inner "<mod to install>" to the "MODS" folder, delete the "<something>" folder. Run JSGME and enable <mod to install>.
Old 03-08-20, 10:23 AM   #3
Richard.W
Swabbie

Many thanks for the reply, razark......I checked as you suggested and I had no double folders. I did manage to solve the problem to some extent though.

Updating my NVIDIA drivers was a huge help, lol.

This has all taken me many hours over a couple of weeks (and yes. I know most of you could have done it in a couple of hours, including the download time) but I'm pleased to report that I now have fully working mods on all my Silent Hunter sims.

S.H.3 With the LSH3 Mega Mod.

S.H.4. With TMO

S.H.5. With Wolves of Steel.

The whole process has been a very steep learning curve for me but certainly worth the effort and I do feel a little more confident in working my way around my pc.

One issue is still bothering me though, concerning S.H.4.....

After several attempts, I gave up trying to install FOTRS and tried TMO, which installed and runs just fine......

So, starting with a brand new install of the vanilla game (Ultimate Edition with U.Boat Missions) via either Steam or UPLAY.......Neither of them in the x86 program files and launched/played as stock to register them.....

JSGME goes in without a problem, as does Large Address Aware......Now I can download the FOTRS compressed file easily but once downloaded, do I put the whole thing in the MODS folder and unzip it there?... Do I put the compressed file into the root folder for S.H.4 and unzip it there, in which case, what parts of it do I have to move to the MODS folder?...Or lastly, do I unzip the file in another location and transfer the contents to my S.H.4 folder?
Old 03-08-20, 01:12 PM   #4
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

"Or lastly, do I unzip the file in another location and transfer the contents to my S.H.4 folder?"

^ That's what I do, it gives you the opportunity to check for double folders first before moving everything to the MODS folder, mistakes are very rare.
Old 03-09-20, 03:26 PM   #5
Richard.W
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
"Or lastly, do I unzip the file in another location and transfer the contents to my S.H.4 folder?"

^ That's what I do, it gives you the opportunity to check for double folders first before moving everything to the MODS folder, mistakes are very rare.
Thanks.

I can see that's sound advice but what I don't know is.....Does everything contained within the FOTRS zip file go into the MODS folder or does some of it need to be in the root game file.....And if so, which parts go where?
Old 03-09-20, 04:46 PM   #6
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Everything goes into the MODS folder, any folders or files will not interfere with the game.
Old 03-09-20, 07:20 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...92#post2635992

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote