Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-13, 04:49 AM   #1
SixthFall
Seaman

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0
Default Manual TDC Help

hey all, was wondering if someone can help here. I have TDW's New UI mod installed, with all the awesome TDC gauges and dials. Now i know how to do a 90 degree torp attack with manual tdc (such as the one in the trevally tutorials) but I cant seem to figure something like this out:

So, its not a nice clean 90 degree attack. I dont really know what to do here, the AOB would be 40 degrees starboard (i know its actually 45 in the photo, but pretend its 40 for the example, ok), and i could find the speed of the contact and enter that as well, but what do i do for range? is it range the distance along line of sight, or psuedo torpedo track, assuming AOB is NOT 45 degrees.

How would I go about setting the tdc up for this so my attack is successful?
And where would I have to set the periscope at in order to enter the info to the TDC? Would it be at 000 gyro angle like in a 90 degree attack?

Thanks!
SixthFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 08:33 AM   #2
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Hi SixthFall

For setting up a solution to fire a torp at the pic you have posted - the TDC is a great resource.
Set it up as follows:-

Aim your scope at the ship (line of sight)
click the TDC button to green for inputting data
Enter range (line of sight - where target is now)
enter AOB (where target is now)
enter speed - as target is now
click the TDC input button back off (red)

Now the TDC knows everything
You can follow the target with your scope and the TDC will update auto (the only thing that will not update is range) - so if you choose to keep the target in your scope for a long while and follow it - enter range again before you fire.

Now when you fire the TDC will tell the topr where to go. It works out how far - what direction and how long it will take to ensure that the torp and the ship are at the same spot at the same time (hit)

So using the TDC - always aim at the ship and enter the data as the ship is as you look at it
Old 12-24-13, 10:46 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-28-13 at 12:31 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 01:03 PM   #4
SixthFall
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Hi SixthFall

For setting up a solution to fire a torp at the pic you have posted - the TDC is a great resource.
Set it up as follows:-

Aim your scope at the ship (line of sight)
click the TDC button to green for inputting data
Enter range (line of sight - where target is now)
enter AOB (where target is now)
enter speed - as target is now
click the TDC input button back off (red)

Now the TDC knows everything
You can follow the target with your scope and the TDC will update auto (the only thing that will not update is range) - so if you choose to keep the target in your scope for a long while and follow it - enter range again before you fire.

Now when you fire the TDC will tell the topr where to go. It works out how far - what direction and how long it will take to ensure that the torp and the ship are at the same spot at the same time (hit)

So using the TDC - always aim at the ship and enter the data as the ship is as you look at it

You are amazing my friend, this si why i love this community, you guys are are so helpful!!

So when do i fire? Am i waiting for a certain gyroangle, or can i fire whenever, so long as its after i input the data obviously?in a 90 degree attack, i fire when gyro angle reaches zero, is it the same here, or do i fire whenever?
Old 12-25-13, 05:10 AM   #5
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthFall View Post
You are amazing my friend, this si why i love this community, you guys are are so helpful!!

So when do i fire? Am i waiting for a certain gyroangle, or can i fire whenever, so long as its after i input the data obviously?in a 90 degree attack, i fire when gyro angle reaches zero, is it the same here, or do i fire whenever?
As long as your solution is good you can fire at any time. Just make sure you update your range just before you do - aim your scope at the part of the ship you want to hit (best to fire a few torp in a spreed)

Some things to consider are:-
Fast moving ship - get close (narrow the range)
narrow aob (ship is heading away or towards) small target - do not fire - do end around and get in better position.
Range is too great - do not fire - get into better position.
The greater the gyroangle that the TDC is putting on the torps - the greater the risk of a miss - wait and track the target until gyroangle reduces.
Watch the torp track angle - to acute early in the war and you will get more duds
Old 12-25-13, 07:34 AM   #6
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Get the weapons officer to help you find the solution . Click on the officer icons bottom of GUI .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-13, 03:37 PM   #7
SixthFall
Seaman

Thanks alot guys!

Tags
manual targeting, tdc