SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-05, 04:04 PM   #16
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

In the case of many of Amizaur's doctrines, we are seeing what a super-creative and talented programmer can do to fix things in ways that the designers of the software never would have intended.

To fix it for them, they would have to go into the engine and make major changes, this would constitute a direct fix. However, Amizaur is using the doctrine system instead, which, combined with his talent can make the game perform as if the bug wasn't there, simply by altering the instructions going into and coming out of fundamentally buggy code in the engine itself.

WOOT Amizaur!
Old 09-24-05, 09:22 AM   #17
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

Don't overestimate my work in fact it was very easy, just few additional lines in doctrine. It took maybe half an hour to get working fix.
It just takes to know how the thing is working and then little ingenuity... All this is possible because of doctrine system, by which object behaviour can be modified easily. The idea is not mine too, I was inspired after seeing great SCX doctrines first time - I was just astonished how by doctrine modification you can change the game or even add new features to it ! And how powerfull doctrine system is :-). Later it only takes some invention, all you have to do is to actually sit and examine the bug, and try to do something with it ! After checking what happens during launch and during homing you immediately hit on few ideas how you could step in and change things that are going wrong. And it would be even easier for somone with deeper knowledge about game mechanics, who knows how all this works...
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 08:40 PM   #18
OKO
Commander

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
by the way - beta of Maverick missile fix, missile doctrine changed to make Maverick unable to attack submerged and fast/high flying airborne targets, it's stand-alone mod:
I suppose you will do as SM2 do actually
SM2 is well done = if the sub is diving, the missile can't hit him (on my experience ... this certtainly need more tests ...)
maybe you could have some trail on the way the SM2 works ... ?
OKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-05, 06:53 AM   #19
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

SM-2 works on different doctrine, Maverick uses missile doctrine, SM-2 guided doctrine. In doctrine difference is that guided doctrine is terminal homing from the start, when missile doctrine handles launch, enable, target search, lock on and then starts terminal home.
But I'm also not sure how the target is handled to the missile working on guided doctrine, I guess similar that for Maverick but didn't check this yet.
This would mean that SM-2 launched at submerging contact should be able to kill it just like Maveric can, if it can't then maybe it's because of different very low trajectory - SM-2 hits the water loooong from the sub, when Maverick almost directly over the sub.
Is it possible to launch SM-2 at submerged target redesignated as surface ? If not, then I have to check why, maybe it needs pre-lock or it's because of something hardcoded in FFG interface that prevents this.
Hmm SM-2 don't have prelock flag enabled.. wonder how this actually works in DW :hmm: how you can pre-lock a missile. Some king of modding documentation other than brief description of doctrine language would be very helpfull :P
BTW are there any problems with SM-2 ? I'm not aware of any...

edit: seems you can't launch SM-2 at submerged contact, I guess in the interface is coded that you need to get STIR lock first.
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote