SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-05, 07:44 AM   #16
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Kapitain no one can stop you doing what you want to your copy of DW on your own machine...

The problem is when you distribute it.

Tricky area really.
Old 08-18-05, 07:46 AM   #17
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

yep i aint a computer buff so i havnt a clue how to do all this so im kinda stuck lol not that i want to mess up DW im happy with the akula

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 09:24 PM   #18
jsteed
Watch

Downloads: 22

Hi Ben,

As I recall, you were quite excited to get SCU. In fact your lobbying in this forum, (among others), for the ability to drive other subs was a large part of the reason I decided to release SCU to the public.

Your problems in getting DWX off of square zero have absolutely nothing to do with SCU. The DWX crew really needs to stop looking for excuses and just do the work necessary to produce it. Instead of blaming me as the reason, SA didn't hand you the db structure on a silver platter, why didn't you just spend the time needed to define it yourself? Certainly it is easier to blame others...

Had you and a few other SCXers not been so quick to 'dis' SCU, (I do not tolerate hypocrisy well), I would have given you my db editor months ago. The only reason I recently released it was due to the work that people like Amizaur, Luftwolf and others have been doing. No need to punish them for your sins.

Had you been even slightly less disparaging, I would have also given you a SC to DW db translator. You could have had DWX in April.

cheers, jsteed
jsteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 10:04 PM   #19
Beer
Watch

Downloads: 0

Note to self...

Suggest to Neal for the random avatar (or for that matter have the Admin assign it) SEA LAWYER to those deserving such a title... Picture being a sailor wearing a tie...

There is always one or two on every ship... :rotfl:

Cheers
Beer
Orion Warrior Mod
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 12:49 AM   #20
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteed
Had you been even slightly less disparaging, I would have also given you a SC to DW db translator. You could have had DWX in April.

cheers, jsteed
To hold back a tool that would have GREATLY enhanced the community's enjoyment of DW to get back at the SCX team is rather childish.
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 03:00 AM   #21
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteed
Hi Ben,

As I recall, you were quite excited to get SCU. In fact your lobbying in this forum, (among others), for the ability to drive other subs was a large part of the reason I decided to release SCU to the public.

Your problems in getting DWX off of square zero have absolutely nothing to do with SCU. The DWX crew really needs to stop looking for excuses and just do the work necessary to produce it. Instead of blaming me as the reason, SA didn't hand you the db structure on a silver platter, why didn't you just spend the time needed to define it yourself? Certainly it is easier to blame others...

Had you and a few other SCXers not been so quick to 'dis' SCU, (I do not tolerate hypocrisy well), I would have given you my db editor months ago. The only reason I recently released it was due to the work that people like Amizaur, Luftwolf and others have been doing. No need to punish them for your sins.

cheers, jsteed
Hm I have never disparaged SCU, it was quite a piece of work.
I understood you had SCS's full permission, then once DW is released it turns out they weren't too happy about it.

As for your dbase editor, unless you have MS Access then it isn't much good. I don't anymore so it wouldn't help me.

As for us SCS not handing us the DW database structure on a platter. You know less than you think.

DWX hasn't appeared yet cos there isn't a full editor. Real life ie work considerations and Ludger having kids might have something to do with it. Also I don't think there is the excitement at the moment, especially as the SCX team myself included have other things in real life to deal with at the moment.

Personally I don't care what you do anymore. Oh and DWX team isn't looking to blame anyone. I haven't seen that written anywhere on the forum.
Old 12-25-05, 08:52 PM   #22
Linton
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

So what did happen to a driveable t-boat?
Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 06:18 PM   #23
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

ask pirate he made the K123 ALFA playable

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 06:31 PM   #24
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Actually he made a very cool looking modell of an Alfa Sub and switched out the original Akula modell with his Alfa model. In other words he changed the skin. And it looks really beautiful. However thats something that is currently only good for you if you just play SP or set up your game so you can easily switch the custom (with the new skin) DB against a standard DB.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 07:41 PM   #25
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Interestingly enough, if you are willing to completely sacrafice one of the two Akula II's (there are separate database objects for each Akula II, which is rare for a single class), you can have an Alfa that is played as a an Alfa with the Akula loadout, which you can restrict yourself to say, using the 4-8 53cm tubes only and firing USGT's (an upgrage) and 56wakehomers or perhaps a subroc.

Then, in the database you can give it it's own launchers with the exact loadout you want for the AI. You can even make multiple boats of the same type from the object. When you make the launchers for the AI, you can specify the same loadout that you restrict yourself to when you play the sub, or variation made for the AI.

In many ways, you can make it very much like a new sub.

Keep in mind this is getting into a grey area, but since it can be done with the database and requires some bit of effort for the player to restrict it, thus making it unlikely for distribution, I suppose it's ok. Just don't decompile anything.

Oh and don't forget, you can change the sensors too! The second Akula II has it's own sensor assignments, so its very easy to do!
Old 01-01-06, 08:11 PM   #26
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Just so no confusion but Deep Six made the Alfa and a playable t-boat will never exist unless SCS reckon its worth it.
Old 01-01-06, 08:43 PM   #27
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152

Yes. I did not make that alfa!
I wasn't born for 3d modeling or painting, trust me
As I wrote on the thread that's the alfa from scxiic.

I really recomend using the akula i improved as it has 1 object -> 1 3d -> 1 class

And akula ii has 2 objects -> 2 3d -> 1 class

So if you change akula II class to alfa you will be changing vepr and gepard to alfa class
So, better use akula I imp.

Also don't forget to make new sonar profile and use it at the object.
Old 01-01-06, 08:52 PM   #28
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Well, I figured that someone would rather loose a single Akula II than the whole Akula I Imp class and then just make a second entry into the remaining Akula II entry for the other ship, so they would use the same object file, as they are basically identical just have a different model (although the mod changes the TA for the gepard a bit in terms of max speed). Although it would not be playable, you could still have it as a non-playable Akula II.

:P