SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-17, 03:06 PM   #1
kmike76
Sailor man

Downloads: 605
Uploads: 0
Default A Cold Waters question

Ahoy Lads!

Red Storm Rising was and is one of my favorite games. A perfect blend of simulation and strategy. I played it for hours on my Commodore 64. I STILL play it on DOSBOX from time to time. It rocks!

It advertises itself as the "spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising." For those of you who have played it: Is that true? If It is, I am ALL IN.
kmike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 03:22 PM   #2
Echo76
Loader

Downloads: 68

It is very similar. Quite buggy still but if you look for RSR remake, this is it.

Funny thing : over all these years, I've almost completely forgotten swedish and german language I studied in high school but when I started browsing the Cold Waters vessel signatures, I immediately remembered what types of subs and ships they were by their names

I think I was 12 years old then, and RSR manual was my bible.
Old 06-17-17, 05:02 PM   #3
daver4470
Nub

Downloads: 1

It is VERY much like RSR. Some technical differences (of course), and it's quite a bit harder overall... but it's basically the same game. You can theoretically play it in the tactical map mode only, which would recreate the RSR experience. In practice, it's hard to avoid having to go to the 3D view occasionally (if only because it automatically shows up if you switch out of the tac display)... but it sure is fun watching your quarry get a big hole in its side.

I don't think any RSR fan will be disappointed from a gameplay standpoint.

Edit: some significant differences -- no Seawolf, no Sea Lance (I've found this to be huge, as the Russkies still have Silex missle-torpedoes that they can drop on you), and a 1968 campaign as well.
daver4470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-17, 05:10 PM   #4
kmike76
Sailor man

Thank you daver4470 and Echo76 for replying.

I also watched this "first look" review vid that wasn't too long:

Looks pretty solid. I can spot the Red Storm Rising type gameplay. Sweet Eye Candy. At $40, a little pricey, but looks like a good buy.
Old 06-18-17, 05:22 PM   #5
kmike76
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver4470 View Post
It is VERY much like RSR. Some technical differences (of course), and it's quite a bit harder overall... but it's basically the same game. You can theoretically play it in the tactical map mode only, which would recreate the RSR experience. In practice, it's hard to avoid having to go to the 3D view occasionally (if only because it automatically shows up if you switch out of the tac display)...sil but it sure is fun watching your quarry get a big hole in its side.

I don't think any RSR fan will be disappointed from a gameplay standpoint.

Edit: some significant differences -- no Seawolf, no Sea aLance (I've found this to be huge, as the Russkies still have Silex missle-torpedoes that they can drop on you), and a 1968 campaign as well.
Does the 3D mode mimic the Tactical map mode? In other words, does the 3D mode let you "cheat," and get additional information that you would
not get just using your sensors? Like you can do with Silent Hunter 3 when you switch to exterior views.

I'd rather NOT "cheat," or at least be able to the "cheating" off.
Old 06-18-17, 06:40 PM   #6
AndyLorentz
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

There's an option to hide low solution contacts in 3d. It's on by default. If you turn it off, it may reveal contacts your crew hasn't pointed out yet.
AndyLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-17, 09:07 PM   #7
kmike76
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLorentz View Post
There's an option to hide low solution contacts in 3d. It's on by default. If you turn it off, it may reveal contacts your crew hasn't pointed out yet.
Ah, Thanks, Andy. That answers my question. I can turn "cheating" off, if it even exists in the first place.
Old 06-18-17, 11:04 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard firsttime poster!

AndyLorentz!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote