SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-19, 03:51 PM   #1
NoExcuses
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Crew spotting range

Hello everybody!

I just started my next patrol from Lorient in my Type VIIB U-Boat, on 8th of October 1940.

On my previous patrols I've noticed that my crew is pretty blind.. What I mean by that. I would get attacked by an airplane, it would drop bombs on me and my crew wouldn't tell untill the plane got real close.

While departing the port, I was acompanied by a pair of merchant ships. Shortly after they turned south and I continued at my northern course.

So after some time my crew didn't see them, so I've decided to take a look myself. Without using UZO or binoculars I was able to see them, so I've asked my WO what the distance was; he said 10km. After 11 km I wasn't able to see them any longer.

So my question is: is that a bug or it should be that way? What's making me confused is that I could see them, but my crew could not.

My mod list is as follows:
-Ahnanerbe Wide Gui 1920 x 1080 Final
-TKSS 18 German U-Boats compilation
-M.E.P. v5
-M.E.P. VisualSensors for GWX3
-Thomsen's Sound Pack v3.2cg
-LifeBoats&Debris_v4
-FixAllSubGWX
-GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
-GWX - No Medals on Crew

Also, the weather report states:
Clauds partial, Precipitation None, Visibility Moderate, Wind Speed 4 m/s, direction 0

Note: I've noticed that even when the weather report says Clouds Clear, I still get "Moderate Visibility"

Thanks in advance
NoExcuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 08:42 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Even NYGM have a sensor mod as well. You must have a mod that is interfering with it. Experiment with it.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19, 11:15 AM   #3
NoExcuses
Swabbie

Downloads: 18

Hey, bstanko6 you're right, it appears to be the TKSS18 German U-Boats compilation that was the problem.

I've disabled the mod, and created a new campaign, here are my observations:
-Well, first of all, my crew was able to detect planes from about ~7km at daylight, with Moderate visibility. Ships were detected at ~10km
-The weather. Finally there's some variety: having the TKSS18 mod enabled the weather would only be sunny with "Moderate Visibility" or a terrible storm with "Poor Visibility". After disabling the mod, there were many types of weather. In my previous post I've said that the weather report would never state "Unlimited Visibility" - Well, now it did. My WO also reported a "Reduced visibility".
-My crew finally started to get fatique!
-And lastly, with the "Poor Visibility", the visibility was actually a lot better. With the mod enabled, the poor visibility would allow me to see ships from maybe 900m, even at daytime. Spotting range for my crew in these conditions were even worse. Now, my crew would spot targets at "Poor Visibility" from around ~1,5 km if I remember correctly.

So now the question is, is there a way to have the TKSS18 mod enabled, without it interfering with other mods and causing so many problems?

Last edited by NoExcuses; 02-23-19 at 01:18 PM.
NoExcuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 12:38 PM   #4
Eikson
Seaman

Downloads: 54

Hey, did you find a solution for your issue? Was ist the TKSS sub mod?
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 01:59 AM   #5
Eikson
Seaman

Downloads: 54
Default Fix

So in case anyone is still wondering, I got it to work by overwriting the mods sensors.dat by the one from "No continuous ship spotted".

So far it works fine for Type IID and Type VIIC, haven't tried the others yet. In order to fix the weather issue I installed the Bad Weather Fix (by Stiebler if I'm not mistaken) instead of the one from h.sie's patch.
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote