SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-19, 06:07 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Lawmakers vote to sink Balao-class submarine USS Clamagore

As far as I know, this is the first memorial sub to be abandoned in the US.

Quote:
outh Carolina legislators have reaffirmed their decision to sink the Balao-class Clamagore, a museum submarine that’s been floating in Charleston Harbor for 40 years.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reports lawmakers on Tuesday overturned Gov. Henry McMaster’s veto of measure.

Built in 1945 and decommissioned in 1975, the Clamagore is part of the fleet at Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum.
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...ink-submarine/
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 09:57 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default MONEY IS ALWAYS THE SINEW OF WAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARIOUS SOURCES
Leaders say it’ll cost $2.7 million to sink the sub to make an artificial reef, but that’s the best of three bad options.
Sen. Murrell Smith says restoring it could cost $9 million. And leaving it where it is could cost the state later.

Some lawmakers say a hurricane might sink it in a way that disrupts port traffic. According to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Clamagore "is now the only surviving GUPPY type III submarine in the United States. She represents the continued adaptation and use of war-built diesel submarines by the Navy for the first two decades after the war." The GUPPY conversion submarines constituted the bulk of the nation's submarine force through the mid-1960s. In an attempt to save the Clamagore submarine at Patriots Point, a restoration group has filed a lawsuit claiming the Patriots Point Development Authority doesn’t have the legal grounds to move it and create a reef or underwater memorial offshore.
The USS Clamagore Restoration and Maintenance Association states in the suit filed Tuesday that Patriots Point has a legal responsibility under state law and through contract with the United States to maintain the submarine.

IT APPEARS A CONSIDERABLE 'BATTLE OF CHARLESTON' IS UNDERWAY ; THE GOVERNOR HAS VETOED THE REEF BILL TWICE AND : http://ussclamagore.org/ < THIS DEVOTED 'BAND OF BROTHERS' IS OPPOSING THE SINKING AND ACCEPTION PRESERVATION DONATIONS
Quote:
The all-volunteer USS Clamagore SS-343 Restoration and Maintenance Association say, according to a 1979 agreement transferring Clamagore to the state, the sub can’t be sunk without approval from the Secretary of the Navy. Plus, the volunteers are arguing in court they have a better plan to preserve the sub: To save, relocate and restore the USS CLAMAGORE SS 343. To relocate the submarine from Patriot's Point, Mount Pleasant, SC to a land berth communal with the H.L. HUNLEY museum in North Charleston, SC. To preserve the last of her kind of World War II GUPPY III submarines to a condition suitable to serve as a submarine museum and memorial for future generations.
I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 12:25 PM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Default Sink the Clamagore

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...2OwiJC08xsQcd8

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 02:10 PM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'd like to read it but I won't disable my ad blocker to do so. Museums are always subject to the paying climate.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 05:04 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2616186&postcount=1 DUPLICATE THREAD GENTS: ONKEL NEAL ALREADY OPENED THE BALL THIS AM. ATTN MODERATOR: COMBINE THREADS?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-19, 06:03 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Threads merged.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balao, memorial