SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-20, 12:30 AM   #31
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Hey, what's the latest and or best walk through, since they've made updates to the game?
Old 06-17-20, 05:18 PM   #32
HerrRitter
Watch

Downloads: 39
Icon7 Getting out of Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Tutorial walk through

Hello, Onkel Neal!

I haven't been around for quite some time, but I've been playing SHIII, until I managed to get through the entire war ... alive ... one time. I made it!

I downloaded UBOAT when it first came out, but it was in such a primitive state that I haven't actually played it, yet. I've got the B127 update, and decided to give it a try. It's beautiful ... actually ... but I have yet to get the boat out of St. Nazaire.

Has anyone came up with a step-by-step guide that goes from picking your boat to putting out to sea? This would be extremely valuable, in my estimation.
Old 06-17-20, 05:27 PM   #33
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrRitter View Post
Hello, Onkel Neal!

I haven't been around for quite some time, but I've been playing SHIII, until I managed to get through the entire war ... alive ... one time. I made it!

I downloaded UBOAT when it first came out, but it was in such a primitive state that I haven't actually played it, yet. I've got the B127 update, and decided to give it a try. It's beautiful ... actually ... but I have yet to get the boat out of St. Nazaire.

Has anyone came up with a step-by-step guide that goes from picking your boat to putting out to sea? This would be extremely valuable, in my estimation.
Yes sir! Start with this guys series, it’s basically a manual in video format.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 01:35 AM   #34
TheNolan
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Got to the point that I could take apart entire convoys by doing the following:

1. Sink the destroyers using torpedoes from distance and repeated attack runs. Also sink any transports with deck guns using torpedoes.

2. Sink the corvettes by approaching underwater from behind. Once within ~ 1 km surface and open fire with the deck gun. You will be able to sink it before it can turn enough to return fire. You may take a hit or two but you can make multiple attack runs and repair in between.

3. Finish the rest of the convoy using deck guns and/or AA gun at your convenience.

This strategy was done early war, 1939/40 and I've not played in ~ a year. I'm curious if improvements have been made to the sim/AI since then.

Last edited by TheNolan; 01-04-23 at 01:51 AM.
TheNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-23, 07:18 AM   #35
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126
Default Escape from Depth Charge Sonar Attack

A good deal of the how to videos I watch are someone flying back and forth in the cutaway view of the sub. Quite often I don't know what they're doing. This video I made is just the opposite. Slow and tedious. Its slow but I try to make it clear the things you can do to escape depth charges while in first person perspective. Enjoy.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-23, 07:52 PM   #36
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work on the video

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-23, 11:16 PM   #37
ThatHistoricSailor
Bilge Rat

Location: Curled up in the Battery compartment of a Balao class
Downloads: 5
Support Tactics

I've got several hundred hours put in..always played SH4 to the point my room was entirely dedicated to it. Happy to see more depth in this game and wanted to share a few tips:

1. If you are in shallow water, keep an eye on the top right corner of your depth to keel. If an enemy patrol is coming, you'll spot them before they come upon you. I like to keep my deck awash to hide my profile better..this helps on missions where you need to drop off a spy, weather station, attack a port. Your crew will spot the smoke stacks.
Pause the game, Alarm, rig for silent running(blue lights), assuming you are stopped set telegraph to STOP, set depth to Depth To Keel, set dive planes to manual, turn off gyro, and make sure the radio op is on the hydrophone.

8/10 times this always works. It does feel a bit scary watching an enemy war ship chug over top of you. If they spot you, just floor it and scrap along the bottom. They will have a wide turning radius anyways.

YOU WILL ALWAYS ENCOUNTER THE TASK FORCE AT BEAR ISLAND. THIS TACTIC WORKS FANTASTIC WITH EARLY WAR SONAR.

2. Cut it in a 90 when you are about to be charged. Keep a good fair distance, playing with your depth and sound. It works if you go silent running and dive deeper, then cut into a 90 degree angle.
This tactic also works with convoys, especially if a war ship sniffs you out. Of course the idea is to never put yourself into that position in the first place.

A good note with this tactic is if the warship is heading towards or away, you'll be in his hydrophone blind spot. So exploit it by going as quiet as you can to make a good get away.

This also works by just hiding in the convoys rear blindspots until you are ready to strike.

3. When in an encounter where you must surface. Get a fair distance away and put a preference to electric engines (should be the first tick back on the telegraph) deck awash and ride on the electric for awhile. This lowers your chances of being spotted when you surface. Your Diesel engines make lots of noise and will push smoke that attracts attention.

4. Vet your crew. If you get in a high risk situation, one guy freaking out will cause a mess. If he does it once and reveals a bad personality trait, just toss him from the crew. It's not worth keeping him around when you are in a tight situation. After about my 5-6th patrol, I weeded out any anxious ones. A good way to tell if the person you recruit is going to be worth it, just read their little bio.

5. During mine laying missions, avoid encounters and load them mines....I was a noob who didn't know any better.

6. Make sure to have a radio officer on the hydrophone while deck awash or on the surface. It has a greater range than visual sight. I like to manually rotate him at times.

7. Ensure each shift has proper coverage and two floaters. That guy will probably be the sixth person and keep him fresh. I like to sort of give him three hours on, 5 hours of sleep, 3 hours anything and the rest as working where I think I'll need him. I also do it at random with another officer. This way these guys don't get tired quickly but also can cover other jobs needing to be done. Radio man or engineer would be the best option.

Anyways Happy Hunting!
ThatHistoricSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-23, 01:44 PM   #38
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

ThatHistoricSailor! finally on the surface after a 6-year 'silent run'?...with a great first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-25-23 at 02:05 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 04:21 PM   #39
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatHistoricSailor View Post
I've got several hundred hours put in..always played SH4 to the point my room was entirely dedicated to it. Happy to see more depth in this game and wanted to share a few tips:

Nice list

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote