SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-18, 07:53 PM   #16
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

Yes, ESM. It does not seem to show bearing, let alone type radar.

The sonar guys don't give call-outs to torpedoes as they are detected along their route. They pop up on the screen occasionally, but no one mentions them.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 03:43 PM   #17
GravityWave
Mate

Downloads: 25

1) An extra alternate key assignment: basically multi-button mse support (mse btn or key), but for the lefties too

2) Retain camera position for individual TMA objects: I've been using the click to select feature on the TMA (rather that just the FN keys) for camera control. Re-orienting the camera is a bit annoying. Sometimes its just fun to watch that 'little torp' creeping up on ya, while evading, from its view. TMA map clicks are also nice for verifying wrecks and looking around without having to go there and check. Kind of cheating, but the camera is anyway and the boat is already down, soo ...

3) Range circles/vectors on the TMA map: Using the heading or torp vectors to judge distances is awkward.

4) The small TMA map should still show a small text indicator of the grid size.

5) Clock and timer on the bridge

6) Maybe include some drills when transiting? Fire, flooding, collision, etc. I'm not too sure about this one, but it might be interesting for varying initial contacts if the boat isn't just patrolling. Or even just too add an additional (unexpected) mission type. The sea is the enemy.
GravityWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 04:10 PM   #18
GravityWave
Mate

Downloads: 25

I second the request for the dot plot indicator. (I'm thinking for TMA bearing analysis and ranging ?). Half the game is figuring out where and when to shoot.

Also, don't some/most torp's have an acceleration upon target acquisition? I'm thinking of the associated range reduction for an early enabler that then burns fuel up before they know where they're heading. And that faster speed is what the target has to evade.
GravityWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 07:59 PM   #19
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityWave View Post
I second the request for the dot plot indicator. (I'm thinking for TMA bearing analysis and ranging ?). Half the game is figuring out where and when to shoot.

Also, don't some/most torp's have an acceleration upon target acquisition? I'm thinking of the associated range reduction for an early enabler that then burns fuel up before they know where they're heading. And that faster speed is what the target has to evade.
Not sure about reality but the fish do have different pre-enabled / enabled and seeking speed. Never seen them accelerate on acquisition before aside from coming out of their search pattern.
Old 02-06-18, 04:52 PM   #20
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 391

I'm thinking that with the big improvements added to 1.09e, it might be easier to add some variety to CW.

I'd say that almost all neutral contacts I encounter are trawlers, It would certainly make the game more nerve-wracking to have a wider range of neutral vessels to have to sort out.

Also, having transits to missions occasionally interrupted by contact with neutral or friendly vessels, I've only ever bumped into Soviet assets so far. Having Rules of Engagement modeled with friendly units would be a bonus - such as an extremely low but ever present chance of being attacked if detected, and an instant order to RTB with subsequent court martial should you sink one.

More mission types, like just being ordered to patrol a certain area (wouldn't have to be counted as a mission - just an order until a real mission happens), or recon missions (handled like a spec-ops but with no weapons restrictions - having single or multiple connected zones - completed when you raise periscope in each). Mine laying (again modeled on spec-ops, only loading mines instead of troops - You'd just need a different icon as the same restrictions on weapons would apply), Baltic missions - maybe spy insertions, just like spec-ops but without the weapon restrictions).

[edit] I've just started playing at realistic level, so my apologies if any of these suggestions are already implemented at realistic or elite levels... and that since posting this, I'm running into every kind of neutral ship except trawlers

Last edited by Capt. Morgan; 02-07-18 at 03:29 AM.
Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 06:22 AM   #21
seenittwice.pt
Watch

Downloads: 146

Hull popping with change of depth....?
seenittwice.pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 07:47 AM   #22
Delgard
Skipper

I wondered if hull popping was represented in the coding. Also, is it defeatable by a slower rise angle?
Old 02-13-18, 12:26 AM   #23
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57

How about hull sounds as the boat goes deep, deeper....then again as it rises?
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 05:59 AM   #24
Delgard
Skipper

Hull-popping, up or down, would have to be across the board for both sides. Another input by the sonar team.

Also, the sonar team calling out bearings for torpedo launches to go with the little green flash that visually disappears so quickly.
Old 02-16-18, 05:52 PM   #25
ragnar1242
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityWave View Post
6) Maybe include some drills when transiting? Fire, flooding, collision, etc. I'm not too sure about this one, but it might be interesting for varying initial contacts if the boat isn't just patrolling. Or even just too add an additional (unexpected) mission type. The sea is the enemy.
Instead of drills lets just have random dryer fires lol
ragnar1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 06:36 PM   #26
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Whenever we choose to expand the map (and minimize the 3D renders) can we have a small window in the corner that continues to show the 3D renders? Dangerous Waters had something similar.

lb
Old 02-19-18, 07:09 PM   #27
MikeS369
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Some way to mark the map and a clock would be nice.
Old 02-19-18, 08:09 PM   #28
Delgard
Skipper

Yes, projecting a previous contact by previous known location/speed over distance based upon the time that has passed.
Old 02-22-18, 02:09 PM   #29
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 982

Be careful what you wish for, you could end up wrecking what appears to be a Great game like they did with Atlantic Fleet. Apparently these games are so complex that any upgrade or patch could cause a nasty freeze in game that the creator can not find the cause or fix then we will be left with a game that will always lock up and freeze, nothing like wasted time spent in a battle to have the game lock up and freeze with no way to save the game during lenghty battles in Atlantic Fleet, Also with the way we have to purchase games today, the download is updated with the latest version no way to go back to the previous version before the creator wrecked thier game like Atlantic Fleet. Keeping my fingers crossed that all these new feature request for Cold Waters do not end up wrecking the game for all of us. I will have to make copys of this version or backup my hardrive with this version of Cold Waters and turn update game off if possible for steam and GoG just to make sure i have a Great working version of Cold Waters before the next upgrade. I wish I would have saved the Atlantic Fleet version before the last patch, now my Atlantic Fleet campigns playing as Germans is ruined for ever, the creator has given up trying to find the lock up bug that was incorporated in the last upgrade patch. Players You have been warned your wishes could come back to haunt us for ever, please make sure your wish is significant and good for all of us. For proof of what i am talking about You could read the recent post here on Subsim under Atlantic Fleet catagory. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next upgrade patch does not wreck the game, apparently these complex games are extremely fragile. Good Luck to all of us and to the Creator Killfish!
Lonny007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 08:10 PM   #30
Delgard
Skipper

Hey, Torpedoman Lonny, Courage! Bravery! and Perseverance! in the Barents Sea!

AND, its not like I asked for my own Sea-Doo strapped to the deck.

Your analysis may very well be true, and I am not the one that makes the final decision on new sub components. Admirals and high-paid consultants get to make those decisions. If the software won't support something, they will know it or discover it in initial testing.

A Sea-Doo and a K-Bar knife and no Soviet vessel is safe from me! That's all I ask for.