SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-14, 11:13 AM   #1
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Elite: Dangerous

Well, I had already prepurchased the game itself, but ended up grabbing the premium beta. Gotta say, this is truly ELITE - in the ways that are both good and not so much. Its got a learning curve (think X3ish) but I am really enjoying it. Great joystick support, beauty, reasonable gameplay mechanics (though flight physics is still undergoing a lot of discussion) and some interesting depth make for a game with a huge amount of promise.

Add in what will be a complete (and never the same replay) single player experience as well as persistent game universes (based upon what server you connect to) - and this really is looking like a winner. Given that the universe is procedurally generated past a certain point and won't have an "end", it is the closest to "real space" in many ways. Granted, Supercruise and Hypercruise take some getting use to - but they are workable game mechanics.

For those that enjoy a good space sim, keep an eye on Elite: Dangerous. You can still get into the beta if you want, or pre-purchase, or wait till it releases (which will be late 2014). I can also tell you - the devs are really listening throughout the alpha and beta process. This one is going to be big.....

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 02:04 PM   #2
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Do you need to connect to a server for single player also?

Got my eye on it, but I'm just waiting for the release and impressions of it.
Haven't watched much of it though, only a couple of vids by Scott Manley.

I did play a bit in the -90's though, mostly Frontier Elite 2.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-14, 07:39 PM   #3
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

As of right now, there is no confirmation on distribution channel or network requirements for the final.

Time will tell. Obviously multiplayer will require online access. Not sure if one could play SP without at least logging in to verify credentials proving you own the game. Then again, they may allow that - who knows. Too early to tell.

Captain Haplo
Old 07-15-14, 03:32 PM   #4
johnpera
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Elite has changed a lot since the last time I played it (which was ages ago).
Old 08-09-14, 06:39 PM   #5
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

It has indeed. It is in beta-1 right now, and is truly playable (though there is lots of room to grow) as a "game".

Captain Haplo
Old 08-10-14, 12:31 AM   #6
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Kind of spendy for a beta at $75.00, and does not include any downloadable content. That comes later, which you will pay for,lol Looks good though!

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dange...157.1407648389

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 01:02 AM   #7
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Kind of spendy for a beta at $75.00, and does not include any downloadable content. That comes later, which you will pay for,lol Looks good though!

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dange...157.1407648389
The $50 non beta copy doesn't include the DLC either. But it's well worth paying the extra 25 to get into beta.

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 10:54 PM   #8
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

At one time you could by an "all DLC access" package for like 15 pounds. About 20 bucks. Was well worth it considering where they are going to take this game.

For me it was definitely worth the coin to get to playtest it.

Captain Haplo
Old 08-12-14, 02:36 PM   #9
Pappy55
Engineer

Downloads: 173

I am CMDR Penfold on ED if you want to form a group of us sometime
Old 08-18-14, 04:14 PM   #10
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Bought in to the beta last night. It's already on its way to becoming my favourite game in a very long time. Very impressive.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 04:39 PM   #11
adrians69
Engineer

Downloads: 299

I've been keeping my eye on this too. I used to play Frontier:Elite 2 on my Amiga back in the day (which I still own). Can't wait for this to release!!

Click here to view my MS Flight Simulator X, Silent Hunter, Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, X Plane 11 & Train Simulator 2020 screenshots!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrians69/
adrians69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 02:40 AM   #12
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I can only recommend Elite to everyone who is interested in Space and simulations... and things like trading or etc.

For me, Elite is what EVE always should have been.
The latter disappointed me quite a bit because of the terrible, terrible community and some typical MMO limitations (everything is automated, not player-skill based) and the fact that you can't fly your ship yourself - you just select targets and tell your ship "go there, do that!" - which is terribad in my opinion.

However, in Elite, you control it all yourself, which is simply amazing. Be it docking/undocking and later (DLC content) even landing on planets seemlessly and manually and board enemy ships.

Elite also offers a great compromise between MMO and SP, cause you can do both and the game will not be "controlled" by players, groups, corporations etc. but stay in control of the NPC factions and developers, which will prevent bs like you see in EVE, where new players are merely chanceless and literally lost in space compared to those who play for some 10 years and control everything.

Since it is tough to describe this game, this board might answer all your questions and sure made me drool a lot:
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=36
Just go through the stickies, they offer a great amount of details to what is to expect of Elite.

Also, I first thought Star Citizen would have the upper hand in comparison, but the more I read about both games, the happier am I to have picked up Elite and not SC... which we may or may not play in late 2016, you know, where you pay a fortune for ships you can't even really use right now

One reason to buy ED was also the fact that you just have to pay once. Done. No hidden costs, no monthly fees. Pay once, play as long as you like. Just like the good old days.
DLC content won't be free of course, though personally, I happily pay for more content if the game is good. And damn it is.

A longer, detailed introduction:
Old 08-19-14, 11:05 AM   #13
Pappy55
Engineer

Downloads: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrians69 View Post
I've been keeping my eye on this too. I used to play Frontier:Elite 2 on my Amiga back in the day (which I still own). Can't wait for this to release!!
Me too..

Hell I still have this

C=64 Original Version
Old 08-19-14, 12:25 PM   #14
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Star Citizen looks undeniably beautiful and I'll think about picking it up when it comes out, but it's not Elite...

I've got 30 years invested in this game. 30 years. First played it on a friends Acorn Electron in 84/85 and it probably changed my DNA in some way. Without Elite I doubt I would have ever bothered playing any of the sims I got into later.

It's still a beta, obviously. But,man, Solar systems - not one planet and a distant star but contact binaries, multiple planets, multiple moons.....asteroids fields....the first time I saw a beam laser flare across the discs of a gas giant I was sold for good. I don't even want to fight, I just want to explore. Stars with solar flares spilling out into space....

Still got to sort out my HOTAS and Track IR and pedals. Having fun enough with KB+Mouse but looking forward to getting everything set up properly. It's so good I'm seriously thinking about getting Occulus Rift just for this, and OR has never once appealed to me before now.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 02:34 PM   #15
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Is the single player option any good?

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote