Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-01-11, 07:36 PM   #16
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Trim can help you at high speeds with certain planes, like MiG-3 whose controls lock up at high speed.

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 05:04 AM   #17
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Can't say I've ever used trim in my whole time of flying IL2.
I use it for cruising when I just want to go straight.
Old 06-02-11, 08:48 AM   #18
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Trimming lets you make permanent adjustments to the flight surfaces, so that the aircraft can fly straight without any input. For example, if your aircraft is rolling to one side all the time, you can apply trimming to balance that out and make the plane fly straight without having to keep the stick pushed to the other side.

It's not completely necessary, and I usually never use trimming except for rare cases, but I suppose it can help.

EDIT: Ah, damnit Arclight!
So basically, I can use it as an immediate "first-aid bandage" if need be as well?? What I mean by this is one night, I was dogfighting (trying to anyways) some 109's and one of them clipped my wing with a cannon and put a nice size hole in my right wing which then caused my plane to roll (not uncontrolabley, but annoyingly) to the right which I had to correct every few seconds or apply constant stick pressure, I could have used trim to fix this roll and level the plan out??

Call me a n00b but I find that freaking amazing. Any other little tips and tricks I should know?? Last night I tried some landings and that didn't go to well.
Old 06-02-11, 08:57 AM   #19
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
So basically, I can use it as an immediate "first-aid bandage" if need be as well?? What I mean by this is one night, I was dogfighting (trying to anyways) some 109's and one of them clipped my wing with a cannon and put a nice size hole in my right wing which then caused my plane to roll (not uncontrolabley, but annoyingly) to the right which I had to correct every few seconds or apply constant stick pressure, I could have used trim to fix this roll and level the plan out??

Call me a n00b but I find that freaking amazing. Any other little tips and tricks I should know?? Last night I tried some landings and that didn't go to well.
Yes, trim could have fixed that - maybe not totally depending on how much damage.

I've never got on with IL-2 in any version, I used to put it down to crap machine but don't have that excuse any more, now I put it down to lack of practice.

Tip for landing, whatever the other guys do for landing, don't! I don't think I've seen one screenshot of a good landing on here.
Old 06-02-11, 09:56 AM   #20
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Tip for landing, whatever the other guys do for landing, don't! I don't think I've seen one screenshot of a good landing on here.
Pfah...landings, what we do is an art

We think the wreckage tells you a story, the adventure the violence it saw and the luck the pilot had that he made it back alive.
but most tend to agree that it only tells you how incompetent of a pilot we are

HunterICX
Old 06-02-11, 10:18 AM   #21
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Any landing you can recover identifiable pieces of the aircraft and pilot from is a good one...
Old 06-02-11, 05:21 PM   #22
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Okay other than trims and such though, anything else I should map out or learn to use real well?? Any tips on shooting?? IM playing with realistic bullet path on now so they curve as Im pulling on the stick so its a PITA to hit things haha.
Old 06-02-11, 05:31 PM   #23
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Any tips on shooting?? IM playing with realistic bullet path on now so they curve as Im pulling on the stick so its a PITA to hit things haha.
Fly with labels on so you see the distance to the enemy, sooner or later you start to remember the distances by looking how big the enemy plane is in your sights.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:06 PM   #24
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Do all planes have sights?? Because I flew the me 262 for fun and realized it doesn't have one. I also realized how ridiculously powered the jet is. I mean I dropped 2 b - 17s in like seconds. I always run against two b 17s to just fly new planes and fly them around and get a grip on them and such.
Old 06-02-11, 08:13 PM   #25
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Do all planes have sights?? Because I flew the me 262 for fun and realized it doesn't have one. I also realized how ridiculously powered the jet is. I mean I dropped 2 b - 17s in like seconds. I always run against two b 17s to just fly new planes and fly them around and get a grip on them and such.
Press Shift-F1.

Most German fighters have off-center gunsights for some reason, so you have to switch the view to use them.
Old 06-03-11, 11:28 AM   #26
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
4 Mk108 30mm machine cannons.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MK_108_cannon
That's about as much fire power as you will get in a WWII fighter. Not comparable to the .50 Cal. peashooters. It was designed to knock down heavy bombers (and therefore Hitler thought it would be a good idea to use it mainly as a fighter bomber....well he knew best of course....).
Old 06-04-11, 12:19 PM   #27
Schwieger
Commodore

Quote:

That is something you get used to, believe it or not

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 05:23 PM   #28
Anthony W.
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 130

My advice is to get with Jaw of the 8FS squadron. I think they've changed names but ask around in Hyperlobby and you'll find him.

Oh man I haven't flown IL-2 in sooo long... Its been over a year.

I think I should get back in the saddle. I'll patch up tonight. Need a wingman? I used to fly ground attack like the angel of death and once I was on your tail I was like some sort of missile.

Proud Ford Mustang owner

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut

Run silent - run deep - keep the baffles clear - targets front and center.

Private pilot and history buff
Anthony W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 08:44 AM   #29
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well I would very much like that offer but I doubt I could really do much online right now, I have kinda crappy internet. Maybe we'd have to see if I can keep my internet from being a PITA. I mean I played Xbox Live on it okay I had a decent connection most of the time but I think probably too much little bits of lag for a flying game to be any fun.
Old 06-07-11, 06:55 PM   #30
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Okay now I am going to try online and see how my internet handles, what patch level do I need to be at? And where can I get all of the patches I need?

Also where or how do I get hyperlobby

plus Id like to know if theres an essential GWX like mod that people usually use on here or if there are some nice skin packs, I'd really like some new looking planes.