SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-09, 06:34 PM   #1
ctt244
Swabbie

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0
Default mines in SH4

Hi all ,
can any one yell why the mines in SH4 do not show in the missions ??

CT
ctt244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 06:48 PM   #2
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

If you are talking about the mines that are waiting for you to set them off you wont find that info and in stock mines are very rare. If you are refering to where are the mines some subs can lay? Well dont bother looking you cant lay mines in any US Navy sub in SH4.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 06:53 PM   #3
ctt244
Swabbie

Default thanks for the rep.

what i ment was i can ont see the mines at all , as get to a mine field in a mission where i know mines are , i use the scope to see them but they are never there ?? and when i go outside the sub to see why still no mines ?

ct
Old 06-24-09, 07:27 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

As stated, your chances of running into a mine is highly unlikely. Trying to find one would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. There is a minefield in the Tsuyama Strait that if you look hard enough, you'll find them. If they put mines in the stock game, they are very rare to find.

You can find more mines with the supermods. I know TMO has several minefields. I just happened to be looking at my sub when I found this one, but it was too late. You can see the chain and the mine is rubbing near the front of the con tower.

I'm fairly certain mines in TMO are set where you will not hit them running on the surface, just periscope depth only, so you're fairly safe anyway.
Your not going to see mines floating on the top of the water.

Also with TMO there is a sonar mod that detects mines and subnets. Your chances of hitting a subnet is fairly good in many area's...

Still, you don't want to see a mine anyway...or hit one. If you just want to see mines, there are single missions full of them. This one blew, but I made it back to base.

Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 08:14 PM   #5
runningdeer
Frogman

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 1

That's a really cool shot. I wondered once too, if you could see the minds. Had thought about going to a known mind field to see them.

runningdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 08:45 PM   #6
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371

Nice screenshot, Mr. A!

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 10:13 AM   #7
ctt244
Swabbie

Default Mines,

Thanks all who sent in a reply ,AS said not many in the missions , Ill have to change that .
Made a test mission and all is ok with that , it is a single mission, but can i use it in the sub school?.

thanks again all.

Ct
Old 06-25-09, 11:46 AM   #8
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

I once, and only once, found a mine within the campaign with the stock SH4 with U-Boat Missions (but playing as american). It was near taiwan.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 12:27 PM   #9
Stealhead
Navy Seal

You will see them if you happen to be looking around your sub with free cam and a mine happens to be near by but I really would not bother looking with the express goal of finding one.Also it would not be very accurate to use this method to avoid mines.It will make a better picture to happen across one unplaned as Armistead did as he explained in another thread where he showed the conning tower about to embrace mine picture above.

I think it says in the TMO read me somewhere that the number of mines was increased from 1 mine per sq/km to 9 to 15 mines per sq/km of course you must be in a mined area to see the ratio.
Old 06-25-09, 02:35 PM   #10
runningdeer
Frogman

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
You will see them if you happen to be looking around your sub with free cam and a mine happens to be near by but I really would not bother looking with the express goal of finding one.Also it would not be very accurate to use this method to avoid mines.It will make a better picture to happen across one unplaned as Armistead did as he explained in another thread where he showed the conning tower about to embrace mine picture above.

I think it says in the TMO read me somewhere that the number of mines was increased from 1 mine per sq/km to 9 to 15 mines per sq/km of course you must be in a mined area to see the ratio.
Ok thanx. Yeah, just stumbling upon one would definately make it more exciting.

I remember the first time I ever seen a net...it freaked me out, I didn't know what the heck it was, totally unexpected, it was very cool.

runningdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 03:03 PM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

There is a sonar mod that detects mines and subnets for TMO. Haven't used it yet, but it look's promising.
Old 06-25-09, 03:12 PM   #12
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

I was just going to mention subnets which are much more prevelent and evidently just as deadly (and noisy) as mines :rotfl:
Old 06-25-09, 04:47 PM   #13
Loud_Silence
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Finding mines on stock game very rare? I don't think so...

This is west of Shikoku island, on my way to Osaka.

Results: hull damage 30%, betteries at 25%, diesel less than 50% and half of the crew injured. Plus i got some flooding and a lot of systems damaged.

Last edited by Loud_Silence; 06-25-09 at 05:06 PM.
Loud_Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 09:55 PM   #14
Stealhead
Navy Seal

They are very rare in stock compared to the likley hood of finging them in TMO that was TMOs creator saying that the mines aretoo rare in stock not me. It just means in the mined areas of the game therewill be more in TMO than stock.If you had TMO you'd have seen more mines.

Steamwake yeah the nets are in a way worse as they cover a larger area.

Armistead yeah I dont know if that sonar "shows" the mines somehow or if you can hear them on your own.
Old 06-25-09, 10:55 PM   #15
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Look at the ME in stock. Rare, unless one of the single missions compared to TMO. You may run into them in a few places, where in TMO there are several minefields. I played stock for 5 months and never hit one. I'm sure I've hit several with TMO.