SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-07, 01:46 PM   #16
Spruence M
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

anti poll bump
Spruence M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:20 AM   #17
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Well here's what I think:

DDs should sink with 1.

CLs should sink with only 1 or 2 hits. Most sunk in the war were hit by only 1.

CAs should take 1-3.

CVs in the Pacific should take min 2. The Ark Royal sank from one, but it was smaller and less well protected than most CVs in Pacific.

BBs...well, it's tricky as it depends on age/class. Sink a Yamato with 6? Unlikely (if not impossible). Even Shinano took 4 (I think) and sank slowly, and that was with poor crew training and incomplete fit out. Most BBs hit by 2 would shrug them off with a reduction of speed and requiring some serious repairs, but wouldn't sink.

As for merchants, most of 5000t or less would take 1, and sink pretty quickly. Tankers will sink with 1 in the stern, as the engine spaces are the only reliable way of sinking a tanker with a single hit. In fact a single hit in the engine spaces should be enough to sink any merchant up to about 8000t, and most merchants weren't that big. I think torp damage - certainly stock - is way out of kilter, and even modded I think it still has issues.
Steeltrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:46 AM   #18
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro
and exploder on contact.
Oh forgot to point out that the switch to select mag Vs. Impact actually does nothing (with the current build) except go 'click'. I belive the torps are programmed to impact by default.

Minor thing really but just wanted to mention that its not really a part of the 'magic' solution.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 12:12 PM   #19
mrbeast
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:
Originally Posted by maro
and exploder on contact.
Oh forgot to point out that the switch to select mag Vs. Impact actually does nothing (with the current build) except go 'click'. I belive the torps are programmed to impact by default.

Minor thing really but just wanted to mention that its not really a part of the 'magic' solution.
Well I've tracked torps on the external camera and seen them explode under the keel of ships with the switch set to mag/impact and run undr when set impact only. This is without using any torpedo mods.
Old 10-03-07, 12:17 PM   #20
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87

I dont think a torpedo would actually get the magazine to go up. The magazines are located not against the side of the hull but in the middle of the ship. For just that reason (ok and because the guns are on the centre line of the ship too). Plus a torpedo's explosion doesn't cause much damage to a ship. It's the pressure of the water rushing back into the gap caused by the explosion that does the damage. That is what make the under the keel shot so deadly. The explosion makes a gap in the water (because water cant be compressed). Because water is more dence at a greater depth the gap collapses from the bottom up creating a "water hammer" that slams into the bottom of the ship (hopefully breaking the ships keel).

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 12:23 PM   #21
mrbeast
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81
I dont think a torpedo would actually get the magazine to go up. The magazines are located not against the side of the hull but in the middle of the ship. For just that reason (ok and because the guns are on the centre line of the ship too). Plus a torpedo's explosion doesn't cause much damage to a ship. It's the pressure of the water rushing back into the gap caused by the explosion that does the damage. That is what make the under the keel shot so deadly. The explosion makes a gap in the water (because water cant be compressed). Because water is more dence at a greater depth the gap collapses from the bottom up creating a "water hammer" that slams into the bottom of the ship (hopefully breaking the ships keel).
Don't think I've ever encountered a capital ship that had a magazine explosion as a direct consiquence of a torpedo detonation.
Old 10-03-07, 01:05 PM   #22
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Almost fully correct, however before the "water hammer" there is a micro second where there is literally no water beneath the boats keel and it breaks under its own weight. The water hammer finshes the job.

As to the mag/impact switch, from what I understand it does not work. Perhaps the torpedoes are coded to mag/impact by default.
Old 10-03-07, 01:23 PM   #23
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by java`s revenge
The ship under my text, the Java sunk by one torpedohit of a japanese sub.
Reason was, they had stowed mines under the deck.....
Also, IIRC she was also probably hit by a Long Lance, which was a monster of a fish. 1000lb warhead. Youch.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 01:38 PM   #24
seaniam81
Commodore

Quote:
Quote:
Almost fully correct, however before the "water hammer" there is a micro second where there is literally no water beneath the boats keel and it breaks under its own weight. The water hammer finshes the job.

As to the mag/impact switch, from what I understand it does not work. Perhaps the torpedoes are coded to mag/impact by default.
I never knew it was the gap that broke the back of the ship I always assumed it was the "water hammer" I guess you do learn something everyday.

And yes I know the mag/impact switch does nothing but makes a funky clicking sound I was talking about in real life.

Old 10-03-07, 02:20 PM   #25
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I never knew it was the gap that broke the back of the ship I always assumed it was the "water hammer" I guess you do learn something everyday.

And yes I know the mag/impact switch does nothing but makes a funky clicking sound I was talking about in real life.
Well much more so for contemporary torpedoes than WW2 but still same Idea. Let me see if I can find the tape. =
It appears as though the ship lifts up out of the water but it is literally suppported by only the bow and stern. Remeber its miliseconds.

But as an example imagine a yardstick with a 20lb weight in the middle sitting on the desk. No problems as the stick is supported by the desk. Now try to pick that yardstick by just the ends... snap.
Old 10-03-07, 03:35 PM   #26
seaniam81
Commodore

That video is simply breath taking. That ship was snaped in half like the toys I used to play with in bath tub. The Collins looks more mean than my rubber ducky though.:rotfl:

Old 10-03-07, 04:19 PM   #27
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
That video is simply breath taking. That ship was snaped in half like the toys I used to play with in bath tub. The Collins looks more mean than my rubber ducky though.:rotfl:
I was going to say something about your torpedoes but lets not go there :p
Old 09-18-19, 01:14 PM   #28
Lipper
Nub

Downloads: 6
SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro View Post
It is possible to destroy battleships ( Kongo, Fuso, Ise), fleet carriers (Shokaku, Hyryu) and heavy cruisers with only one torpedo. First, the distance between sub and ship must be from 350 to 400 meters. Next thing, put torpedo speed on high and exploder on contact. And last thing, aim at first bow gun turret or between two bow gun turrets (ammo bunkers should be below gun turrets).

At the end i sunk Yamato three times. First time i needed ten torpedoes (aimed all over ship), second time i needed six torpedoes (aimed at two bow gun turrets) and third time only five torpedoes, but that happened only once! Usualy it takes 6-7 torpedoes. Two missions later, i run into task force with three Yamato battleships, (made a screen shot). Good hunting!

2 torpedos, as described. Bow guns: I sent the first between the two guns and the 2nd below the from gun....wllah...down she went....
Lipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 02:12 PM   #29
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75

Neat video.
Granted its a modern warhead against a 30 year old ship.

WWII torpedos did not have nearly as much explosive power to do that, but the concept is the same, even if it is significantly smaller of concussion.
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote