SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-19, 02:50 AM   #1
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Icon8 Warning windows updates!

Hi,

Once again, those damn windows updates drove me crazy

Today had to restart computer to activate some new update.
What a surprise when i realized all my nice Nvidia settings were gone!!
So i tried to set them back, and...second bad surprise, some settings were just gone!! (DSR factor)
No problem, i thought...i’m Going to restaure computer to a previous date!
... and third bad surprise...no possibility to restaure back!!!

After some research, i managed to manually delete the faulty updates that screw up my PC, and hopefully i could restaure my previous nice settings
What i did immediately is to set a restauration point, and set this damn windows update to OFF ...
I don’t want anymore any windows update of any kind!
(And it will be internet connected ONLY for upload mods)
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 08:45 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Unfortunately, Windows 10 will NOT allow you to stay off-line forever, and will demand that you reconnect to the internet and update the OS, else it will cease to function. You can only delay the inevitable. Whatever their last update has in it, trashed my SH3 & 4 on the Win10 laptop, and I cannot figure out what they did to cause that. I have not tried to play the SH5 I have on there, so I don't know about it (too busy with SH4)... - I suspect that at its root, it has something to do with DirectX, but I don't know for certain. It's just strange that they are so bound and determined to eliminate people playing the old DirectX 9 games... All I had to do was re-install SH4 and re-do the mods and all was fine, but that was with an Intel onboard video chip. I have not gotten around to re-doing my SH3 yet, but I have three copies of it on the machine, for three different modded versions, and I do not look forward to having to re-do all of them...

As a side-note to this Fifi, I tried to create a slip-streamed copy of my Windows 7 DVD, updated with SP1 and the most recent Windows updates, and could not get that to work correctly, but I was successful in making one with just SP1 on it, which would save some time on a re-install of the OS. However, I could not get the license info to take for a Windows "authorization", so that idea has been scrapped now. Support for 7 ends shortly, and my thinking is that I'm going to now have three computers in the corners of the basement with nothing but old OSes on them with my games on them, all with disk images for restore. I've still got a box that can boot into DOS / Win95/8 for those games (with a real sound card), another with XP, and probably the third will be Win7, all isolated from the internet, but on their own private network... I am running out of "compatible" hardware for them though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 11:44 AM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Default Additional discussion data point

FWIW, an additional data point for the discussion:
I have SH4 v1.5 with only a mouse drag sonar direction mod on a Dell XPS8900 with an Nvidia GeForce GTS1060 3GB card with settings adjusted only to fit on my monitors

My PC runs Win10 set to notify before update, which I allow to be done at a convenient time, and the OS is up to date.
The game has run seamlessly most of the time, with occasional slowdowns due to large amount of traffic, but no other issues.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 12:16 PM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

My old computer that passed away some time ago was NEVER connected to internet, and it was working great for many many years...

Why changing something that is working great by always adding useless updates?
99% of time, those updates are for applications i don’t own anyway...
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote