SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-20, 09:52 PM   #1
Gooch11B
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Real Fleet Boat- no map contacts?

Hi folks, I'm new to all this and it's a lot to take in!
I tried Real Fleet Boats and loved the UI improvements, but even with the setting to allow contacts to be plotted on the map, I couldn't seem to get them to show up. ("No map contact update" box was not checked)

Does RFB disable this entirely, or was I doing something wrong?
Gooch11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 12:28 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Gooch11B! nice first post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 12:48 PM   #3
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I've been trying to use RFB on and off for awhile now and could never get any enemy contacts, but I stopped playing the sims for quite awhile. Earlier this year I bought a new PC and installed the Steam version of SH4 and modded it to RFB using a mod list found around here somewhere. Again nothing happening so I sailed into Bungo Suido, through the inland sea, and into the harbor at Osaka. I encountered two freighters and no enemy shipping or aircraft! Obviously something is broken. Anyway, I'm going to try a couple of other things but I expect I'll just change over to FOTRS.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 01:29 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ever since Windows Vista came out, there have been troubles with the older DirectX 9 games running in Windows. The main thing is the install folder. If you chose a "default" Steam install, it put the game in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". Windows will "protect" that folder from you and other intruders with UAC (User Access Control) and other 'modern' OS 'technologies'. You will need to move the game install. If you have a 2nd viable hard drive (not an archive drive), then you can create a 2nd Steam Library folder and install SH4 there. If however, you only have a C: drive, then you will have to move Steam and the game. Consult with Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Knowledgebase web site. If you don't move the game, Windows will rollback any cfg or other perceived "system" files to their original state, leaving you with a messed-up game install, half mod, half not.

Once you get past that hurdle and get the mod activated, you do have to clear the Save folder, which defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \ Documents \SH4". You can navigate to the Documents folder and delete the SH4 folder, or navigate into the folder and delete the "data" folder inside of it. SH4 runs off of the information in that folder, and does re-create the folder each time it starts, if the folder is missing or empty. The game will not overwrite existing information in the folder though, so when it encounters an existing "NSS_Porpoise.sim" file (as an example), it leaves it alone. That means that the RFB file will not overwrite the Stock file, so you have to delete the old data.

When you get into the larger mods, such as FotRSU, then a 64-bit memory "manager", such as LAA or NTCore get thrown into the fray. They can also help with the stock game and modded game's "efficiency". All they do is let the OS know that the SH4.exe file can address more memory, hence the "Large Address Aware" LAA name. Mandatory for FotRSU, recommended on TMO, etc. For the CapnScurvy paradigm on all of the above, consult his Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install thread.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote