SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-20, 03:47 PM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default All good guys, but who fixes the water and steam leaks

Quick mission "Battle of Midway" with the Salmon-type submarine "USS Sturgeon", Objective: "Confront the Japanese task force". The Comsubpac always pretentious with the objectives, and dissatisfied with the results, always asks for an aircraft carrier to sink. Easy thing to say sitting behind a desk in Honolulu. Japanese carriers are elusive and fast, sailing surrounded by a curtain of destroyers ready to get in the way of torpedoes being fired at them. The result of the mission was poor according to SH4, but I did face the Japanese task force. How not to do it if the mission started with the submerged submarine in the middle of the Japanese fleet. The carriers were far away and they were sailing fast, but very close I had a large battleship at which I fired 4 torpedoes (the uncomfortable Salmon only has 4 tubes instead of six). I knew it was not enough, the ship was damaged and listed but kept sailing and away before the lazy crew (reloading in real time), reloaded the tubes. By then I already had half a dozen warships looking for me to kill me, but still I managed to get up and fire two torpedoes at a light cruiser, who knows why it was floating with its engines stopped. She was very battered and a third torpedo sent her to the bottom. By now I had some damage so I went to 200 feet and stayed put, until my pursuers got tired and left. Back on the surface, I was given the humanitarian task of rescuing several downed American pilots from the sea, tasks that I have already had before and in which I am getting practical. Fortunately no Japanese aircraft bothered me and can rescue all but one, which I could not find. By then the crew had repaired most of the damaged parts, so I headed for Midway to drop off the pilots and thus allow them to quickly rejoin their squadrons.
I got to Midway and docked in the port, with the press of a button I had full fuel and a full load of torpedoes, in addition to the damages repaired ... well, all but one. A shower of water gushed out of a tube at one end of the control room, and in the center of it another tube gave off steam smoke. The damage control panel indicated that none existed, how was it possible? I saved the game and left SH4. Hours later I resumed it to set sail again and continue the mission, but the water and steam losses in the control room continued as if nothing!
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 04:05 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegonzalito View Post
A shower of water gushed out of a tube at one end of the control room, and in the center of it another tube gave off steam smoke. The damage control panel indicated that none existed, how was it possible? I saved the game and left SH4. Hours later I resumed it to set sail again and continue the mission, but the water and steam losses in the control room continued as if nothing!
Jorge,
THAT is part of the game that Ubi did not design properly.
Sometimes.......saving, exiting SH4, getting a glass of water, re-entering SH4, and then reloading the savegame will result in the Control Room being free from the water and steam. Sometimes. Sometimes, not.
Just ignore it and move on.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 06:57 PM   #3
Cajun Kaleun
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Jorge,
Sometimes.......saving, exiting SH4, getting a glass of water, re-entering SH4, and then reloading the savegame will result in the Control Room being free from the water and steam. Sometimes. Sometimes, not.
This. My favorite is when reloading a save you get the lights blowing out or other random control room surprises. This goes all the way back to Silent Hunter 3. It is pretty funny when you get over the absurdity of a leak on a submarine being ignored.
Cajun Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 07:40 AM   #4
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default Hi KaleumMarco!

Quote:
Jorge,

That's what I planned to do At most those in the control room will have to put on their raincoats, hehehe. The big question is when I set sail from Midway, the mission supposedly continues? that is, the game will propose new objectives to me and will it remain interactive?
Old 11-21-20, 07:44 AM   #5
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default Hi Cajun Caleun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Kaleun View Post
This. My favorite is when reloading a save you get the lights blowing out or other random control room surprises. This goes all the way back to Silent Hunter 3. It is pretty funny when you get over the absurdity of a leak on a submarine being ignored.

Yes, the truth is that it is better to laugh at these strange things in the game. And that has them! For example: If you reach the objectives, the game gives you the mission as completed, but also the option to continue it. The funny thing is that from that moment on, the crew calls for silence. The orders appear in text but nobody says this mouth is mine! Hahaha.
Old 11-21-20, 10:50 AM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegonzalito View Post
That's what I planned to do At most those in the control room will have to put on their raincoats, hehehe. The big question is when I set sail from Midway, the mission supposedly continues? that is, the game will propose new objectives to me and will it remain interactive?
please allow me to re-state the conditions before i answer.
so, you were given a mission, went to sea, completed the mission, took some damage, returned to your home base for repairs.

your options are:
  1. end the mission. i am assuming that you are at your home base. if not, then skip to #2 on the list.
  2. return to the sea and hunt wherever you wish.
  3. return to your home base and end the mission.
  4. radio your superiors using the left side radio button and they may give you a new mission objective....and they may not. as PB is known to say: it is a dice roll.

LAA enabled
Old 11-21-20, 10:52 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Kaleun View Post
that's not quite the case.
the unrepaired damage is due to the incompetence of the UBI design/programming team who did not do their jobs properly.

LAA enabled
Old 11-21-20, 03:58 PM   #8
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default I communicate much better with the Kriegsmarine!

Quote:
please allow me to re-state the conditions before i answer.
so, you were given a mission, went to sea, completed the mission, took some damage, returned to your home base for repairs.

your options are:
  1. end the mission. i am assuming that you are at your home base. if not, then skip to #2 on the list.
  2. return to the sea and hunt wherever you wish.
  3. return to your home base and end the mission.
  4. radio your superiors using the left side radio button and they may give you a new mission objective....and they may not. as PB is known to say: it is a dice roll.
When I report my situation to Comsubpac the response is almost always the same: "Go ahead and maintain radio silence for the next two hours." My fear is leaving the port and sailing for days in an empty sea, because the game does not generate any enemy convoys. In fact sailing towards Midway, for several days I only crossed allied ships sailing alone. In SH3 I received different messages: "Keep it up Lieutenant!" or "You must put in more effort" and things like that.
Old 11-22-20, 08:10 AM   #9
jorgegonzalito
Officer

The mission continued and had not yet reached the hot zone of the conflict, when a dot on the map turned out to be Wake Island. In 1942 the Japanese would surely be there, because also the icon of the friendly anchor was not there. A radar contact (strange if this Salmon doesn't have radar) warned me that there was a contact. I was sailing on the surface with the artillerymen at their posts, and there I was able to verify that the artillery works automatically, the boys shot down a Zero. But another one appeared and I had to dive because he threw two charges at me and I was damaged. Impressive how the deck was near the cannon, but the pressure hull was not affected. So I got to Wake submerged, I entered the bay and I sank everything they had: 4 merchants, 1 oil tanker and even a large tugboat. There was a grotesque spectacle of devastation, since in shallow waters the ships were partially under water. A destroyer appeared and did not venture into the bay, and kept circling, no doubt waiting for me to come out to the open sea. I did so and luckily I was in deep water right away, the destroyer approached me but two stern torpedoes dissuaded it from keeping distance. It didn't have ringing, so I managed to sneak away. I decided to take a break and save the game, when I returned with the intention of making a capture of the deck damage ... they had disappeared !!! Of course, all this time the rain of water in the control room remained unchanged, we had even thought about naming it.
Old 11-26-20, 02:05 PM   #10
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

i fixed this a long time ago in TMO (and FOTRSU since it uses TMO interiors)..
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote