Old 01-23-20, 10:11 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Nuke Wuhan virus 2020

Wuhan virus
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0b1_story.html

As the uncertainty continued, Guan, the virologist who identified SARS, offered a chilling perspective on the outbreak.

“I’ve seen it all: bird flu, SARS, influenza A, swine fever and the rest. But the Wuhan pneumonia makes me feel extremely powerless,” he told Caixin. “Most of the past epidemics were controllable, but this time, I’m petrified.”
Old 01-23-20, 10:55 AM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

They actually traced this outbreak virus to a lady that ate a snake purchased at the local market in this area now quarantined.

On you tube is another video of a lady eating a bat ... how dumb is that

https://in.news.yahoo.com/snakes-mig...095553642.html

Snakes might be the source of coronavirus outbreak in China, says new study

Quote:
Beijing: Snakes may be the original source of the newly discovered novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has triggered an outbreak of a deadly infectious respiratory illness in China, according to a new study.

The finding, published in the Journal of Medical Virology, provides important insights on the potential origins of the most recent outbreak of viral pneumonia in China, which started in the middle of December and now is spreading to Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, and Japan.

"Results derived from our evolutionary analysis suggest for the first time that snake is the most probable wildlife animal reservoir for the 2019-nCoV," said study researchers from the Wuhan University in China.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 10:55 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If it reaches Germany and they lock down my city as well, I could hold out from cold start for 2-3 months, including drinking water, toilet and washing water, food, medicine, energy, warmth, cooking heat of various sorts.

Boy scout picnic in my flat.

And my ready-rucksack, or bug-out-bag as they call it, can see me jump-starting on my emergency-escape within 5-10 minutes, no matter the escape route leading into more urban or more natural territory, with all supply needed for 2-4 days and shelter for temps down to -10°.

Say what you want about me, but never say I am not prepared.

The real fears of mine all are of political, bureaucratical, system-related and administrative nature, and the brutality of my beloved "civilised" fellow citizens who will make claims for my reserves once they realise they are needed and I have thme while they have not. That is the simple reason why I am also armed, legally. The worst disaster that I fear, is the state itself: its failings, and its inherent brutality to cover that failing. And against the state, you can almost not defend yourself. Its crime and evil-doing will reach you, no matter your preparation. You are defenceless against the state and the system it represents. Currency collapse. Economic restrictions. Taxes. Expropriations. Oppressive laws. Arbitrary justice. Martial law.

Some think I am paranoid maybe, but I am not. I remember the looks of the basements in the house of my grand parents (on side of my mother), and the immense reserves in food, batteries, sweet water, bartering stuff like sugar and salt and medicine and cigarettes and Schnaps, which they had stored there. Lessons from war, which in this regard has never ended for them. And if you think of it - its not that long time ago. Modern economic dependencies and supply chains - are insane. Absolutely vulnerable. Super-sensitive. Absolutely insane. Its so frighteningly easy to bring them down with just a few takeouts here and there: and the rest collapses along with these few direct hits. I wonder whether people even know the meaning of the word "reserves" anymore. Our economy and finance system surely do not, and that scares the hell out of me, since I cannot safeguard against these. The state will always put its own interests and that of its elites over yours. It will always turn you into the victim of the crime, and it will never stop to do so.

FFP3 grade equipment (breathing masks and face/eye protection especially) in case of pandemic biological hazards, is recommended to have in reserve, too. And a simple Geiger counter. They have become so very cheap.

The other big risk is power blackouts, and cyberattacks. With all the mess following in their wake. The consequences of 24 hours without power nation-wide will be messy for weeks to come (talking of Germany). It will even take severla days to just restore power supply again, since it would need a cold start of the grid, and that cannot be had from one hour to the next. IT WOULD TAKE DAYS. And the number of cold-start-capable powerplants gets systematically massacred. This also affects windmills, btw. transformer stations for solar energy.

People spend so much money for insurrances: for their car, their family, their house, their camping trailer, their health, property, flat, bicylce, their this, their that - and if fate does not strike them, they will never get anything of it back,those thousands and thousands of coins you paid over the years are lost forever. . Now do the math of how much money this costs you! And then you tell the world that you cannot afford to spend a few hundred, maybe 1-2 thousand dollars for the direct safety and supply of your family with the goods of important needs of everyday life - by buying and stockpiling them a bit, so that you can keep them and they are yours for all time to come? I do not believe you! 2 thousand dollars - the costs of one holiday trip with all the family. That is not worth it, in your opinion?

Think again.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-23-20 at 11:37 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 11:06 AM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
The other big risk is power blackouts, and cyberattacks. With all the mess following in their wake. The consequnces of 24 hours without power nation-wide will be messy for weeks to come. It will even take severla days to resotre power supply again, since it wou,d need a cold start of the grid, and that cnanot be had form oinbe hour to the next. IT WOULD TAKE DAYS.

Now that's something to worry about Sky, especially in a big city like yours which could be from almost anything too. Like terrorist, rouge generals, air burst electrons, ban on oil imports, little boys playing with aluminum kites

Don't be afraid be ready
or achievement

Old 01-23-20, 11:23 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Don't be afraid be ready
Thats a good motto!

Though I would prefer to put it differently to defeat those idiots always claiming that "you just act out of fear". I would say: "Be prepared so that you must not be afraid."

Over 15 years ago we had a severe winter emergency over here, by our standards, I mean many americans are used to Blizzards like that and would just have smiled, but in germany, they are rare and almost unknown to most. Powerpoles and gridline towers collapsed under the snow, the damage was pretty immense. Outside my city, the districts and rural places to the north were without power and heating for up to three and four days. It was not that bad were I live, I hardly was effected, but back then I still had not the money available to have run some peparation procedures, and so felt a little bit exposed to factors beyond my control. I did not like that feeling. Not one bit.

We can never control all and everything, and we always must find a balance between investment and preparation level gotten in return. But by all reason, guys: at least try a bit! "Readiness is all!" That is especially important when you have family and kids, and are not responsible for yourself alone only.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-23-20 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-23-20, 12:06 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
MRE's are great unless you have to live on a steady diet of them. After a while they all start to taste the same with the exception of Chicken Pesto Pasta.
MRE's are great if you're starving. They are NOT for long term use unless you run marathons or are into body building. Seriously, check the calories in one MRE.

Canned ANYTHING that includes tomatoes is a bad idea for extended storage. The higher acid content will destroy (steel or alum.) metal cans over time. If you can't live without tomato sauce, canned in glass holds up longer.

I found a nice alternative in a deceptive label for short(er) term "bail out" food (natural disasters, zombie swarms, loss of power, etc.).
Next time (in North America) you're at the grocery store or the big box store, look around for those Hormel Compleats sealed mini bowls of horror.
They're cheap and shelf stable at room temperature (for an easy six months to a not-so-easy year) and pre-cooked. Meaning, peel off the plastic cover and chow down.
No, you don't want to serve this stuff at your anniversary dinner BUT the calorie content is high enough to get you through one more day.
The taste can be down-right nasty at times (besides the chili and chili with beans which is really good hot or cold) but in times of a real emergency, #### the taste. You just want to live without winding up with a case of dysentery or out-right food poisoning .
These things are also small enough so you can pack out seven or eight without giving up a lot of space and they tend to taste a LOT better than the standard MREs.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 12:49 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

On Food:

Have a mix of dried loose food (millet, rice, oats etc.), stuff to get some taste and sauce into it, have cans made for long-time packaging (the quality of can material and thickness is better, and more care is taken to really fill them under utmost hygiencial conditions), have emergency food ratios like NRG-5 or something similar. Have CHANGE in taste and style, in case you need to live by this kind of food for longer time, do no underestimate the importance of chnage in taste and food style. Have canned bread. Plenty, plenty , plenty of sweet water, in glass bottles (not plastic!), with high grade of sparkling gas, the more, the better. Milk powder, soup and sauce powder, coffe poweder and stuff like that is a good idea. Salt, sugar, oil. Dried vegetable like to be sued in soups. Canned meat.

Canned food, if canned properly and right, lasts for not just years, but decades. Serious. And nboody stops you form rotating you cans: eat your oldest ones ocassionally, and fill the gap with new ones. A principle that our grandparents most likely took as a routine of everyday life. Farmer households most likely also remember it.

Store in lightprotected places, and moderate and lower temperatures. Chgeck your cans once a year for signs of corrosion. Bent cans should be replaced even if looking intact, on the insight isolation layers might have become puctured.

I also found a nice alternmative her ein Germany, a priuct from the Czech Republik. They use food isolated heavy duty plastic bags. They guarnatee a lignevity of at least ten years, whcuh was beleived to be impossible outside the use of tin cans. The nic ebtiung about them is: the ones I tried so far, tasted delicous and did not include this typical and unwanted taste that you usually get from tin canned food and conserved food.

https://www.sicherstadt.de/epages/64...Fertiggerichte

Avoid potatoes and especially noodles in tin cans. It almost always tastes messy. Rice is very soft in cans, but at leats dioes niot taste that - well, this - strange...

Never forget that you do not need sweet water fro drinking only, but also for cooking, and some more work.

Also prepare a toilet solution if the water flushing of your bathroom toilet fails! Often overseen, so I mention it. Biologicla waste can become quickly a very severe nuisance and more if you stay inside your appartment block. Its not just the scent, it also is about rats.

Prepare to be able to use as many different kinds of fuel for cooking as you can, since you will not know in advance what kind of fuel you can replenish the earliest: liquid gas, petroleum, gas cartridges, wood, coal, etc. You want a burning option for any fuel you can get your hand on.

If emergency comes, eat food from the refrigerator first!

Have a good medikit packed together, plus drugs for pain killing, wound desinfection, against diarrhoe.

Have severla options for water purifying, and may it only be to use river water for household and washing water. In urban theme parks like Germany, however, NEVER dare to think that a stream or a river can be turned into drinking water by using any of the usual survival and outdoor kits for water puyrifying! these things work remarkably well against biological threats, yes, but they are almost helpless against chemical intoxication and dirty water from farming and industry and traffic (gasoline, oil). Coal cartridges should not give you a feeling of being safe now! - For this reason the recommendation even is to not drink rain water, if you are not desperate. It is clean destillated water while still being a cloud, yes - but when it rains down and falls through the air, it washes out the particles in the air and all the dirt and dust and germs that are in the air . Still, if you must drink and have no other option, rain water is preferred. If you collected and stored it, purify it again with a physical filter (helps against one-cellular organism and if it is a good kit, even virusses). Avoid drinking from streams and rivers. If you have plenty of human-free nature and are high up in the mountains, you may dare it to drink there (after purifying), but make sure you drink as close to the source as possible, as high in a place as possible, and if you can, check that there is no human presence or abandoned industrial plant close to or above the water source. Chemical contaminations from for exmaple mining can exist for decades after the activity was stopped. - Giving this sermon only due to many people misunderstanding what outdoor water purifiers can do - AND WHAT NOT.

Prepping is always starting wiht a deicison, whether you plan to avoid by becoming mobile, or stay in place. Security and protection against other people is a major concern in both scenarios. If you stay stationary, willing to fight for and defend your place, have as much sweet water as your place can hold. You can never have enough of it.

And in these scenarios, immediately stop automatically thinking that other foreign humans are your friends. Strangers are enemies as long as the opposite has not been proven beyond doubt! Chances are you will learn sooner or later that not even those you once called friends still are your friends anymore. Sorry, but thats the simple human truth. The most important lesson to be learned about humans. When it is about either gold or survival, they become - strange very quickly.
Old 01-23-20, 02:02 PM   #8
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Cans don't really last that long ... for a poor man I would use a vacuum sealer.

This is the sealer he uses for everyday items, but they have sealers for up to 2 and 3k dollars

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Vac...language=en_US

Here's a man up in Canada that is into vacuum sealing ... He even seals water

Here's one of his followers good advice:

Quote:
Just a quick technique tip - I don’t pack/store anything I’ve sealed for about a week. Sometimes you don’t get a good seal, but you don’t know it. By waiting about a week, you’ll see if your bags are still tight. If they’re loose, air has gotten in. I also check all of my vacuum sealed preps every 6 months. It only takes a teeny tiny hole to break the seal, so sometimes you find something that needs to be re-sealed or used.
or achievement

Old 01-23-20, 02:21 PM   #9
ET2SN
ET2/SS

BTW, since you all got me started on the subject, here are some quick observations I've stacked up over the years:

My folk's house (in northern Maine) always had a wood stove which looked quaint but we all hated it. Burning wood is a solid pain in the ###, even if you're used to it. Its a pain to find the right wood, its a pain to chop the wood into usable pieces, its a pain to store the wood you've chopped so it ages properly and doesn't get too wet. Its a pain to deal with the critters who enjoy living in the wood you chopped, etc, etc, etc.
Its also a pain in learning how to build the fire and its a REAL pain learning how clean your chimney so it (and the house) doesn't burn down.

So, we converted the house to run on oil heat and the old wood stove went that-a-way.

Which was just fine and dandy. Until we got nailed by a bad ice storm in the middle of winter and lost power for two days.

If you want to see modern people freak the #### out, take away their electricity for more than two hours. A modern house without electricity is worse than a car with an automatic transmission and a dead starter (think about it for a minute).

So, what to do, what to do??

Maybe mooch an old camp stove off a neighbor? Nope, believe me, the LAST thing your neighbors want to see is anyone mooching for anything that involves fire wood, gasoline, or food and doesn't involve their kids. They have their own problems to deal with, thank you, and even Mother Theresa would turn you away. Remember, humans can panic and they LOVE to panic when the lights go out.

So, what could we do? Well, there were two cars in the driveway and we had keys to both of them. There was no where to go, the roads were in pretty bad shape, but at least we could stay warm.

What else did we need? Hmm, how about flushing a toilet when the water pressure in the pipes goes to zero? I know, its a trick question as long as you have access to *some* standing water, like in a bathtub, but you'd be amazed how many people stop thinking when the #### hits the fan.

What about drinking water? We were standing in it up to our knees, as long as we could melt some of it, it wasn't an issue.

How about a radio that worked off batteries (or a hand crank)? How about batteries that weren't eight years old to run the radio?

So, hopefully you're getting the idea. Don't just buy a crutch, learn how to think this stuff through, 99% of your possessions will be worth ###-all to you in a real emergency. Its better to make sure that the 1% that can help you still works.

Don't assume you'll figure it out when the time's right. Having a wall of canned food doesn't mean jack if you have no way to open the cans. Think about it NOW and come up with a workable plan. Practice your plan NOW (or at least think it through) so you'll find the 8,000 things you didn't consider.
Old 01-23-20, 02:48 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Cans don't really last that long ...

If the can is in good shape, it does its purpose, and lvie slogner than a human'S lifetime. They found bread in cans in shipwrecks older than 100 years - and microbiological analysis showed it to be free of germs and funghi or anything. They said the taste suffered a bot, so did the looks, it wa smroe pale n lokks and taste dnot as fresh anymore, but was fully consummable. The nutrition value had not suffered compared to freshly conswerved bread.

I have plenty of various cans, a few cheap and ordinary ones from the supermarket for exmaple containing mostly "Sauerbraten" and "Gulasch" of a brand that showed to offer very good content-for-value-ratios, and many specially manufactured and more expensive cans for emergency long time storage. Their lifetime is given for legal reasons only (2 yearsd and 10 years), in fact is pretty much "infinite", if manufactured right (thats why in several Asian countries they have no date stamped on the cans at all, it makes no difference). The difference is that such cans are of thicker wall diameter, and more care gets spent on the cannigbn process and hygiencics, to avoid ifnestation of the content. These cans are immune to corrosion as long as not being dented or deformated. Food supplies of the B undeswehr sometimes get siold this way, dating back to the 80s. Whether the food always is delicous is somethings different (I found 2 in 3 dishes being anythign but pleasant, but some actually are really good).

Plastic is ifnerior, due to its vulneraiblity to UV radiation, easier punctuation and possiblke chemcial degeneration and agents escaping into the food. If using plastic bags, then it should be special multi-component, multi-layered

films containing metal film as well. Oridnary household vacuum sealing film is not what I would trust for more than 1-2 years, if my life depends on it.

The best we know, is a good can. Its also the only one that is proven over several decades. And this although back in past days the metla use dinc ans indeed was vuklnerable to corrision, as you mentioned. The point is: for modern, good can quality this hold no more truth anymore!

Else, I recommend millet, also in cans. I tastes well, is rich in nutrition value, easy to process both in sweet and hearty dishes, and very diverse in use. For many centuries, it was the by far most imopriotant grain to feed the masses across Europe, and abroad. I absolutely regret that it has almost completely lost any relevance in the West, does not get farmed in the West anymore (its mostly imported form china now), and is more valuklable than oats, corn, wheat, barley or meadow barley. I find it more delicious than Amaranth or Quinoa, or ordinary rice. Its easy to cook, and easy handling is what you look for in emergency food. Millet is my personal super-grain, not just for prepping, but in ordinary cooking as well. It has replaced rice for me almost completely. My preference for it reflects the historic dominant importance it once has had.

When I have my "fish day", I only have three different types of grilled fish (salmon, thuna steak, catfish) in three different sauces, and pure millet with a few drips of rosted oil, may it be walnut oil or seasam oil. Wonderful!
Old 01-23-20, 03:04 PM   #11
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Um, Skybird, your last post is wrong on some fundamental things. Not meaning to pick a fight, its wrong because you haven't thought it through on some basic levels.

If you're in a location where things are about to get violent, its well past time to GTFO (and PM me if you don't understand what those four letters mean).

The very LAST thing I would advise anyone, is to start pinning scalps to your wall one hour or one month after the power goes out. If things are THAT bad, you don't need to be there.

Having a truckload of medicine isn't worth a thing if you haven't been trained how to use it and when to use it.
Old 01-23-20, 03:22 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
BTW, since you all got me started on the subject, here are some quick observations I've stacked up over the years:

My folk's house (in northern Maine) always had a wood stove which looked quaint but we all hated it. Burning wood is a solid pain in the ###, even if you're used to it. Its a pain to find the right wood, its a pain to chop the wood into usable pieces, its a pain to store the wood you've chopped so it ages properly and doesn't get too wet. Its a pain to deal with the critters who enjoy living in the wood you chopped, etc, etc, etc.
Its also a pain in learning how to build the fire and its a REAL pain learning how clean your chimney so it (and the house) doesn't burn down.

So, we converted the house to run on oil heat and the old wood stove went that-a-way.

Which was just fine and dandy. Until we got nailed by a bad ice storm in the middle of winter and lost power for two days.

If you want to see modern people freak the #### out, take away their electricity for more than two hours. A modern house without electricity is worse than a car with an automatic transmission and a dead starter (think about it for a minute).

So, what to do, what to do??

Maybe mooch an old camp stove off a neighbor? Nope, believe me, the LAST thing your neighbors want to see is anyone mooching for anything that involves fire wood, gasoline, or food and doesn't involve their kids. They have their own problems to deal with, thank you, and even Mother Theresa would turn you away. Remember, humans can panic and they LOVE to panic when the lights go out.

So, what could we do? Well, there were two cars in the driveway and we had keys to both of them. There was no where to go, the roads were in pretty bad shape, but at least we could stay warm.

What else did we need? Hmm, how about flushing a toilet when the water pressure in the pipes goes to zero? I know, its a trick question as long as you have access to *some* standing water, like in a bathtub, but you'd be amazed how many people stop thinking when the #### hits the fan.

What about drinking water? We were standing in it up to our knees, as long as we could melt some of it, it wasn't an issue.

How about a radio that worked off batteries (or a hand crank)? How about batteries that weren't eight years old to run the radio?

So, hopefully you're getting the idea. Don't just buy a crutch, learn how to think this stuff through, 99% of your possessions will be worth ###-all to you in a real emergency. Its better to make sure that the 1% that can help you still works.

Don't assume you'll figure it out when the time's right. Having a wall of canned food doesn't mean jack if you have no way to open the cans. Think about it NOW and come up with a workable plan. Practice your plan NOW (or at least think it through) so you'll find the 8,000 things you didn't consider.

Amen to all of that! Nothing of it contradicts what I said.

I would add: practice certain things that need practice to function properly. I can make fire with a lens, I can make fire with a steel and stone, even a wood and a cord, but especially the latter was not easy to get too, and it has the right wood as a preconditiion. Better to have a lighter with you! Assuming that you coulkd dare to make an open fire, which is no certainty in a public emergency (I would prefer to stay in stealth mode and eat my can cold, its the same calories). How to span up a tarp in various setups? How to arrange a camp site with strong winds, and what works best inside a bivy bag with very limited space if you need to use both a winter sleeping bag and a thick isolation mat? That gets crowded, I tell you. Not to mention how to get used to the feel of claustrophobia that can come over you inside such a sleeping place. My first such night had me kind of panicking repeatedly in a closed bag. It takes time to get used to that. How to do good knots with a cord, for what purpose. And so forth.

For heaven's sake, guys, your equipment is only as good as your experince with making good use of it. So while you have time: practice! I do it severla times, now in our garden behidn the house. Just for fun. Peopel are maused, come and tlak. I explain, and else do my thing. I knwo why I do it, and whetehr they care for it or not, does not really interest me. After all, I share property rights in this place and have a right to use the place. End of message.

The best equipment there is is always the one you have with you. Because its the only equipment that in case of emergency is available to you its the one that you have with you, and no other. The thoughts on putting a Rucksack together - must have been spent BEFORE you stumble into an emergency situation. Lets say there is an industrial desaster, with or without controlled management by the state authorities. Wind plays a role, and the expectation of escaping either into an urban or a natural environment. How do you move? Car? Public transportaiton? Bike? On foot? What equipment will you pick? That are questions you should spend time on BEFORe an emergency breaks out and you are running thin on time. Will you need a multitool in the forest? No. Do you take a chainsaw, a foldable pocket saw, or a small axe? One of them, but which one, and why? All three is too heavy. Or is it just your all-purprose knife (no foldables, please)? You can expect to bring it to good use in the forest maybe. But if you escape into an urban environment, I would immediately trade any of them for a multi-waterkey and a tong with cable scissors: the city has no trees, but many fences, wire fences, loicks on public doors, water dwells and so forth. What do you need in a medikit? And so forth and so on. In emergency, you do not have the time nor the mental calm to think all this through thoroughly, you must have done it in advance. Finally, can you expect to find shelter and friendly help at the destination where you plan to flee to, or do you need to expect that other humans will compete with you for ressources? - Thats why I have more items and equipment than I do expect to bring to use, in fact I hope I never will use anything of it at all. My Rucksack is mostkly ready-packe,d but a few items are niot included, since they muust be choosen for the scneario then being actual. Weight is an issue to monitor, just packing in evertyhing is no option just because the individual thing weighs just 200 gr. Five such pieces make one 1 kg, and there you go, Superman! Suddenly you feel the difference. Also, I do not grow younger. At some time you have to realise that fleeing is no option for you anymore, and you are left to "stationary defence".

And the Rucksack itself: do not make it military-looking, you raise attention when moving in a city. Do not use neon colours, you stand out rreom the backgorudn if moving in nature. Make it a simple green or brownish colour, that is modest, dark not bright. somethign that raises no interest and no attention in any envrionment. I even use a dark blue and medium grea one, 45-55 liters, modular. Very good fit, poriginally a women'S model, since I have a narrower chest, the SL (=slim) verison matched my anatomy perfectly. As a male, do not be shy to check women backbacks as well! I am not kidding.

And do not underestimate the burden of weight. The military may find it a good idea letting its soldiers running around with 25 kilograms plus weapons and ammo, but for untrained, civilians not used to daily exercises I consider that to be a an excess that will cost you: in range, in speed, in endurance and in water consummation.. Idal would be 10-12 kg, my limit to which I pack is 15 kg max, but I try to stay below that value significantly, which includes two packs of NRG-5 (1kg, 2x 2300 calories), and 3 liters of water, tarp 3x3m, sleeping bag, isolation mat (both of best quality: the mat is ultra-isolating and reflecting, I have two sleeping bags, ultralight but still extremely warm, or medium warm: one for winter conditions of down to -6°C in transition zone, and one for all other times of the year, transition zone I thionk +4 or +2°). A good, comfortable Rucksack with strapü mounts that match your chest width. Mind you, many of us are not training everyday anymore, we are not used to physical stress anymore every day. There is no point in overestimating your own physical training status.

Why I come from stationary preparation to bagging out all the time? Because the transition is fluent. When your reserves run thin, you must turn mobile, and you better do that while you still have the resources, both materially and physically. And for both scenarios there is one basic truth. While you spend a weekend in the woods to practice this and that survival skill, its all just a game. Its hobby, and not even a bad one. But when it is a real emergency, then it is fight: fight for survival, and fight against other humans wanting to take from you what you have.

And that are two totally different kinds of party. Just mastering skills will not prepare you for that. You need to find another way to prepare for that. I give you a hint: you must unlearn to be a too civilised being. It's a thing of mental attitude. Killing technically is not difficult. The issue is those hurdles people have inside their head.

Did you know that most people who ran through self-defence courses of any kind and later become victims of a crime, say assault or rape, nevertheless fail to defend themselves although having the technical skill to do so and to inflict pain and injury on their attacker? The problem is their head. One needs to find a way to work on that.

Finally, saying that with all caution: in case of such emergency scenarios, with state order collapsing: for heavens sake, try to get armed with a firegun, preferred a small one that you can hide away (pistol over rifle, you do not intend to start a war, do you). No matter the legal situation and claims by your place's laws: if somebody tries to kill you to rob your food, water, equipment, being legal in your means of self defence will not help you. So in these circumstances: get a gun if only you can.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-23-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 03:35 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Um, Skybird, your last post is wrong on some fundamental things. Not meaning to pick a fight, its wrong because you haven't thought it through on some basic levels.

If you're in a location where things are about to get violent, its well past time to GTFO (and PM me if you don't understand what those four letters mean).

The very LAST thing I would advise anyone, is to start pinning scalps to your wall one hour or one month after the power goes out. If things are THAT bad, you don't need to be there.

Having a truckload of medicine isn't worth a thing if you haven't been trained how to use it and when to use it.
Absolutely! One basic principle of for exmaple Kravmagav is to recognise the unfolding risk of trouble early and to avoid it before one cannot escape from it anymore! You are absolutely right.

You see, I would not talk about all this and my storage preparation this openly in public if people could identify me easily and find out who I am and where I live. In real life, my lips are 100% sealed and silent about all this. Like I also do not talk about my wealth preservation strategy. If a French reactor goes up and away west of my city or a blackout lasts for one day and one night and then the chaos of the following days unfolds, the last thing I want is that foreign neighbours to whom I never have talked before in 20 years suddenly ring at my (lev 4 high security) door and ask whether I could share my precious reserves with them for they lack food. Or water. Or this, or that. If i can prepare, so you can prepare, too, Mister. If I can spend money and time on it, you with your own property and garden and one-family house could have done so as well, while you had time. I do not allow to accept punishment for preparing myseelf while others fail or even refuse to perpare themselves while they had the time and opportunity.

If violence becomes too hard anymore, then the same thing apllies that I mentioned one post above: its time to give up your position and become mobile. You see, I said above that preparing in place as well as preparing a bag out bag to move out goes hand in hand. They are kind of phases of one and the same scenario, if this scenario detoriates too fast or lasts too long.

And believe it or not, beside a plan B regarding an evasive hideout, I even have a plan C. The A-team would have loved me.

Heck, for thinking like this I even got hired and got paid good money in the later 90s. Always working on increasing the degrees of freedom available to you, always working on increasing your alternatives. Never depend on just one or two. But with age comes a need for a third thing: always altering existing plans to reflect the growing limitations of your physical possibilities. Thats a real game breaker sooner or later...

Last edited by Skybird; 01-23-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 03:58 PM   #14
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Icon12

Well, just so we're clear, I'm not advocating cannibalism.
If you're packing heat and ammo, and you have the energy to slaughter the townsfolk, there's only one other thing to make sure you have. A stew pot and the means to light a fire under it.

Of course, if its just a disaster and not the end of civilization, its going to be embarrassing (to say the least) when the cops and the Army show up and you're standing there. Next to piles of clothes, shoes, and polished bones
Old 01-23-20, 04:16 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Well, just so we're clear, I'm not advocating cannibalism.
If you're packing heat and ammo, and you have the energy to slaughter the townsfolk, there's only one other thing to make sure you have. A stew pot and the means to light a fire under it.

Of course, if its just a disaster and not the end of civilization, its going to be embarrassing (to say the least) when the cops and the Army show up and you're standing there. Next to piles of clothes, shoes, and polished bones
Well, turning "mobile" and leaving your bastion only makes sense for me if having a destination I could escape to. Germany is not the right place to "live in the wilderness", since we have none. Its all an urban place. And if I have no place to flee to, why leaving my home in the first? I am turning too old to endlessly sneak around and play playing cowboys and indians. With every year, the bag out bag becomes less important for me, and good fortificaiton wins in importance. Heck I am turning 53. Not an old man, but then, not a young panther anymore as well. Not having own family, helps, however. I can afford to accept a coming fate more easily than if there were kids and wife in the background. Playing cowboys and indians is for the younger ones. And a sitting on the ground at the fireplace is not only a gemütlich experience, but in the first it is a very hard seat to sit on...

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan