SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-15, 08:37 AM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default Stock Market update: Everybody panic!

Chinas growth slowing. US stock market taking a header. DOW close to closing for seven minutes to regroup.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 08-24-15 at 08:42 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 08:43 AM   #2
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Well it looks like we could be hitting 2nd crisis wave? Feels like great depression, with revolutionary power on the rise and various "new" actors rising to chalenge the existing world order.
Old 08-24-15, 10:02 AM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Old 08-24-15, 11:08 AM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Who cares these b'stards do as they please.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 11:52 AM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

The problem is, those who's behind this stock market crisis is those who also will go free and perhaps win

While the poor will be punished and maybe have to pay more.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 11:57 AM   #6
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Here we go again.
Nearly £74bn was wiped off the value of the FTSE 100 as the UK had its biggest one day fall since March '09
Quote:
"George Osborne, the UK’s Chancellor of the Exchequer, has warned that China’s stock market volatility is a “real concern”.
This is just day one, I'm sure there's going to be more of them, if those traders really start panicking we're going to have another global crisis on our hands again.

The stock markets have had the jitters for a while, it seems to be hotting up into something a lot bigger, if they don't nip this in the bud now it could get even more serious than the last one. Its not time to batten down the hatches just yet, but as the boy scouts say, "be prepared".
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 01:33 PM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

This jutter has been coming for a while. I imagine the 'China is going to eat our economy' folks are looking a little sheepish right about now as people get to see just how fragile their economy really is when faced with a long term downturn in the commodities market.
In a way this has been in the pipeline since 2008, it's just had a long lag time to get here because China has been able to remain competitive until recently, but now it's having to devalue the Yuan in order to keep its edge over western markets.
For nations exporting from China it's not that bad, but for those exporting to China it's pretty horrible news. Australia is being hit pretty bad, Brazil too, and African nations are going to feel the pain.
Couple this with the falling oil prices, and the outlook in the coming months is...difficult. I wouldn't have said that we face another major crisis unless the bottom should fall out of the Chinese economy (which would require some major incompetence by the PRC government) but we're certainly going to dance around the edge a bit.

Still, at least all the Beckists who brought their gold have that to fall back on...right?

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 01:39 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Most worrying, I closed my last FTSE based investment in June but young Buna is still locked in.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 01:41 PM   #9
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Seriously, have we ever been in a phase with no crisis over the last 10 years? I think there was always something going on. It's getting old. Besides Chinas economy is growing by 7% and everybody is going bonkers.
Old 08-24-15, 01:49 PM   #10
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Damn, gold is sooooo looooow and I'm too broke to buy
Someday some fatcats will decide they bought enough gold and the price will go up so they can sell it and I won't be there
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 01:50 PM   #11
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Seriously, have we ever been in a phase with no crisis over the last 10 years? I think there was always something going on. It's getting old. Besides Chinas economy is growing by 7% and everybody is going bonkers.
The problem is that we're now in an era where the game is not what is happening now but what might happen next. The bloody speculative market, and that has shown a steady downward slope on the PRCs growth rate, so even though it's still miles ahead of most other nations the fact that it's slowing gives the markets the jitters.
Old 08-24-15, 01:59 PM   #12
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I don't really see a chance of a severe situation as occurred in 2007-2008. This is just a long overdue correction, in the US, of the market, something that happens, until recent years, with fair regularity. Also, the key players in Federal financial strategy now are not the same ones we saw in the Bush administration who fiddled while Wall Street went on an arson spree. This situation may have a broader impact on China, but, after the keel settles, we'll still be afloat...

<O>
Old 08-24-15, 02:20 PM   #13
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
I don't really see a chance of a severe situation as occurred in 2007-2008. This is just a long overdue correction, in the US, of the market, something that happens, until recent years, with fair regularity. Also, the key players in Federal financial strategy now are not the same ones we saw in the Bush administration who fiddled while Wall Street went on an arson spree. This situation may have a broader impact on China, but, after the keel settles, we'll still be afloat...

<O>
Yeah, the US is in a better place to weather any problems than the PRC. My primary concern is if China does suffer severely from an economic problem what kind of social-political knock-on effects it would have.
Old 08-24-15, 02:22 PM   #14
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

More saber rattling to shift the internal focus to an outside enemy.
That will be first.

I doubt Chinas export will fall, I can't see the pencil and cheap trinket industry moving back to Europe or US.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-15, 02:56 PM   #15
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

For month I have been speculating in making a post about economy

Throughout the years I have tried to follow the economical news about the stock market a.s.o

We have had crisis since dawn of time or when we started to use money and stocks was available.

Is there a solution ? a solution so we will never see crisis like this one ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
market, stock, stocks